Healing in WoW is not fun

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
11/11/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Pdn
the healers in FFXIV are fun because they're "expected" to do dps in addition to provide utility. the healers in wow are expected to keep your HP up, and if you dare waste mana or a global on a DPS ability your raid dies.

Having come back to World of Warcraft after spending a year being a white mage in FFXIV, what turned me off the most when I returned to WoW is not that I don't get to DPS, it's how puny my heals feel. In WoW I cast a lot of healing spells, but most of those healing spells don't heal for much individually.

In FF if a DPS takes a large hit, you don't cast 5 Flash Heals on him, you cast a single Cure or Cure2 and you're done. Those spells heal a bigger % of health than even Holy Word: Serenity, and they are simple 2.5 sec cast spells with no cooldown. Also, Regen heals more than a tank's health over 24 seconds, so you leave one on the tank and sometimes that can take care of everything outside of tank busters. That design leaves you with more "free time" that you can spend buffing people, resurrecting dead people, DPSing the boss, casting Holy on adds to AoE stun them, etc.

The fact that healers are expected to DPS in FF was not actually intended by the developers. It is a byproduct of the fact that heals are so strong that you rarely need to chain cast anything unless the group is constantly failing mechanics.
11/11/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Alisiaa
11/11/2018 07:08 PMPosted by Kalorea
I refuse to heal in this game. I agree with the OP.

I liked healing in FFXIV because at least there I was expected to DPS too and not just stare at raid frames.

I don't really like this line of thinking. To me it sounds like a DPS that wants healers to be a DPS.

I do like FFXIV healers more, but not for DPS, forget that.

I love the mana management and pre-prepping nature of healing in FFXIV. Which Blizzard has tried to all but remove from WoW style healing. FFXIV healing is still about efficiency, and not just spamming heals.

It just so happens that finishing a battle faster and pushing certain points is also fairly efficient usage of spells.

FFXIV never feels like it's trying to surprise you. If the tank gets spiked, you probably missed a cue and it's your fault.

I love healing in FF14, but I strictly play dps in WOW. The controller makes all the difference for me. In FF14, I don’t need to click party or raid frames, and moving while healing is so much better with the joystick on the controller. I hate using mouse and KB for any games anymore. This is why WoW is the only game I play on PC.
Some people take sacrifices to help you clear content.
I've mained heals since I started playing, until BFA where I've been playing my rogue more. I must say, I feel healing is more involving than ever before.

LK priest healing was just spam shield, penance, and flash heal. Pally healing was throw out a beacon on your tank, and spam holy light everywhere you look. There was no fear of going oom. As a priest, I didn't bother with using greater heal vs. flash heal, I just flash heal spammed and made bubbles on everyone with crits.

I wouldn't compare healing in a warfront to healing anything else. Warfronts aren't a very good representation of the rest of the game. Always wanted to try monk healing though. Hate playing my resto shammy right now.
Question how mush DPS is a healer expected to do in say a raid?
First, I think we might have been in the same warfront yesterday because I was in one without a healer as well on my monk. I was WW at the time. Did you also have zero mages or locks? After Vivifying the place silly trying to keep people up, I switched to MW for the rest of the evening. Had a ball.
11/11/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Helenei
Healing specs, except disc priest are useless for leveling or grinding.
Actually, my shaman leveled in Resto through BFA. Besides my Iradi in Disc, she's the only one of my healers that can say that they leveled in their preferred spec. (Three are at 120, the other two are 110 and 112)

I can barely even look at my HPally. Not since her shockadin leveling was destroyed. My druid has always leveled in Feral, plus she's only 112 atm, so I can't say much on her right now, either.

11/11/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Dracowarrior
Healing as a Monk is a lot more fun then healing as a Shaman. I hate healing with my Shaman as well OP.

Make a monk.
I agree with this. I wouldn't have before yesterday, lol. I was actually having a lot of fun on my monk in warfronts and looking forward to running some dungeons with her as MW later. My shaman was my first 120, followed by Iradi and then my monk. As much as I love disc, for our family dungeon group, my shaman is better equipped to handle them in H or higher. I am curious to see how my monk performs in the same dungeons my shaman has been healing in.
Healing specs, except disc priest are useless for leveling or grinding.
What?
You ever play MW monk?
I have a BLAST leveling it out in the PvE world.

We had a tank and a healer bail in a dungeon a while back.
I was able to tank, heal AND DPS with my MW and we finished the run with only the 3 of us.
Very fun to play and very capable of mowing down mobs or much bigger crap.
11/11/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Naiad
Healing in wow used to be fun,

The game stays the same. PLAYERS change. Nobody has as much "fun" their 6th year as their 1st year, playing the same game.

Many players falsely believe "the game is getting worse", when it is the player who is changing.

Personally, I played DPS for years. After the 7.3.5 patch (Feb 2018) I leveled up 5 healers (all 5 healing classes). Healing dungeon groups was FUN for me!

But if I had been healing dungeon groups every day for years, I don't think it would be "fun" anymore. That's why players quit. Of course they do, eventually!

That's not true. MoP was just as fun as my BC/wrath days and the last half of Legion was up there in terms of fun too. BFA is just terrible.
11/12/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Ryuk
BFA is just terrible.

And it has so much potential.
Maybe it'll get better as updates are released.
I'm having fun healing. I should say... I'm having fun healing "again". For years (from about Mid-Ulduar until BfA) I hated it. And I'm having fun healing as Disc...I never liked Disc even when I healed before (I was Holy).

But I'm a Priest, no clue about Shamans. I haven't healed on my Shaman in a long time. I'm thinking about trying the Holy Paladin again, and maybe the Monk again, but I haven't started leveling them yet.

I don't think it's the game... I think it's you. I think you just don't enjoy healing anymore. No spec is going to be fun for you, regardless of what the rotation is (rotation isn't even a "healer thing"...) or how many spells you have to play with. You just don't like it. Do something different for a while. There's nothing wrong with that.
I love front line pally healing. I wish my Consecration had more purpose for healing, but my armor gives Judgement a nice AOE heal, and I chose the talent for Crusader Strike to cool down Holy Shock. I know my dps will be a third of the weakest dps in Raidfinder (unless they really stink) but a few slaps here and there make me feel like a proper support role instead of just standing with the ranged like I sometimes have to do.
I personally find most dps specs a little boring, so prefer either healing or tanking so I think it depends on the person. Damage is high enough (at least on priest and druid) to be okay doing worldquests.
11/12/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Raiyyn
But I'm a Priest, no clue about Shamans. I haven't healed on my Shaman in a long time. I'm thinking about trying the Holy Paladin again, and maybe the Monk again, but I haven't started leveling them yet.
As someone that also used to dislike Disc for healing, and loved it once I got the hang of it in BFA-

I would recommend the Monk and Shaman over the HPally. I loved my HPally in Wrath, Cata, and most of MoP (sorry, pally, my fistweaving monk was more fun). Started to not like her in WoD. IIRC, she was my first 100 because she had been my main for so long, but for the time I did play in WoD, I enjoyed time with my druid and rogue more. Legion, she was dead last being leveled and it was done after all catch up mechanics were in, I had flying & max heirlooms, and she just bounced in and out of invasions to do it.

But that is just my personal preference. I don't fully agree with you on

11/12/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Raiyyn
I don't think it's the game... I think it's you.

I think it's both the player and the game. While, yes, the OP may very well be burnt out on healing, I also think that it could be they just don't click with any of the healers they play because of changes made to the game/classes that happens with every xpac to some degree.
11/11/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Dracowarrior
Healing as a Monk is a lot more fun then healing as a Shaman. I hate healing with my Shaman as well OP.

Make a monk.

Just curious. I used to offheal in WoD, and it wasn't bad, but quit in Legion due to my DPS artifact sucking up all my AP. Why is Shaman not fun now? Not enough throughput to keep up?
11/11/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Méo
In FF if a DPS takes a large hit, you don't cast 5 Flash Heals on him, you cast a single Cure or Cure2 and you're done. Those spells heal a bigger % of health than even Holy Word: Serenity, and they are simple 2.5 sec cast spells with no cooldown. Also, Regen heals more than a tank's health over 24 seconds, so you leave one on the tank and sometimes that can take care of everything outside of tank busters. That design leaves you with more "free time" that you can spend buffing people, resurrecting dead people, DPSing the boss, casting Holy on adds to AoE stun them, etc.

Honestly I think a big reason they won't give us actually competent heals is because they've made a system of "DPSing" health bars, vs efficiently healing.

If you had good heals, you'd need to have an actual risk of going out of mana for overusing them. That's why there's so few of them and they're heavily constrained.

They really don't want to bring back real mana efficiency to the game.

I mean the last healer we had with actual mana issues was the Disc Priest, and they pretty much broke their healing potential and mana inefficiency when they reworked them.
maybe you're just bad
11/12/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Jelli
maybe you're just bad

Stop trying to fit in with the edgy kids, it looks terrible on you.

So non productive. Maybe keep scrolling or contribute something positive. New forum coming soon and this attitude is gonna come back and bite ya.
Healing in wow used to be fun, now it is a low-quality gaming experience. I just did a warfront with not even one healer in it. I myself refused to heal because I did not want to stand around waiting for someone to come help me kill things.

I myself disagree that healing is boring, my personal opinion is that doing trivial content as healer is indeed boring (like warfronts) but I also know some people enjoy it and I can always go DPS for those bits of content.

Personally I think healing is the most fun and challenging role, can be a bit stressful sometimes but that's alright, this ofc only applies when doing relevant and "difficult" content. If you are doing trivial stuff like warfronts and LFR you can semi-afk, one single decent healer can probably solo heal any LFR fight, some of them can probably be done without even having a healer.

11/11/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Vadya
Mistweavers are not as fun as they were in Legion. With the artifact removal (and legendaries, and tier...) we basically got dumped back to level 100.

Gotta disagree on this one, out of all the healing specs I feel the MW artifact was the least interesting one, it gave almost no extra interaction between spells, it was mostly just passive increases. I think MW is more fun after the rework tbh, it's one of the few specs in the game that I actually believe plays better in BFA than in Legion.

11/11/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Pdn
the healers in FFXIV are fun because they're "expected" to do dps in addition to provide utility. the healers in wow are expected to keep your HP up, and if you dare waste mana or a global on a DPS ability your raid dies.

Nop, I mean at lower levels of difficulty sure, most healers usually don't bother to DPS, but once you get into actual challenging content the job of a healer is to put as much DPS as possible while keeping the group alife, this is even more relevant in dungeons but even in raids good healers will contribute to dps.

11/11/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Méo

This exactly. It depends on personal preference, but for me at least, while I like contributing to DPS and look for opportunities to use my utility to aid my raid, I personally find the WOW model more fun, I rather spend most of my focus on healing.
Agree to disagree, I for one can’t wait until 8.1’s leveling changes so I can play my healer (and tank) again.
I've mained this Resto Druid since WoTLK. I still find healing the most fun role to play. Leveling a healer isn't fun(if you're like me and stay in healing spec) but I prefer max level content like dungeons/raids etc as heals