Healing in WoW is not fun

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Holy paladin used to be my main, but is not longer fun for me. The mastery is terrible and all you have is bubbles, lay on hands and winds. Thats about it. Light of the martyr is not as powerful as used to be in legion with the artifact. On the past we had damage reduction mastery, salvation, exorcism, interrupt, powerful devotion aura, mana regeneration cds, even melee mana reg at some point, etc. My point is, yes it used to be more fun. I don't understand the logic on less options=better that they apply now.
Don't make me start on this priest, disc was so versatile, I don't care how powerful they are right now, its just boring for me, so he is still 110. My other healer is my shaman, I'm waiting until they fix them to lvled her up. So yeah, some classes designs are plain boring, I think is the base of the problem.
I like the idea of healing, but I hate having to stare at raid frames. I miss out on the actual fight.
Mhm from the staring contest with static UI elements (raid frames) to the point and click gameplay.. it's a chore. Support is a blast in crosshair games where you only have what you can see in the battlefield.

These colorful squares in the middle of my screen may need tending to, but I'm not the masochist to do it.

It's a shame too. I love the concept of support, it's just so poorly done in most MMOs.
11/11/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Pdn
the healers in FFXIV are fun because they're "expected" to do dps in addition to provide utility. the healers in wow are expected to keep your HP up, and if you dare waste mana or a global on a DPS ability your raid dies.

Ever since I started playing WHM in FF a few years ago, I haven't been able to go back to healing in this game. It's nowhere near as fun.
Iv been maining holy pally since wrath and I absolutely love it still. This holy priest has also been a blast leveling/playing in general (pretty effects!!!). Druid healing has changed a little but...I feel safe with them by my side for sure. Maybe try out a different play style? :-).
11/11/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Méo
11/11/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Pdn
the healers in FFXIV are fun because they're "expected" to do dps in addition to provide utility. the healers in wow are expected to keep your HP up, and if you dare waste mana or a global on a DPS ability your raid dies.

Having come back to World of Warcraft after spending a year being a white mage in FFXIV, what turned me off the most when I returned to WoW is not that I don't get to DPS, it's how puny my heals feel. In WoW I cast a lot of healing spells, but most of those healing spells don't heal for much individually.

In FF if a DPS takes a large hit, you don't cast 5 Flash Heals on him, you cast a single Cure or Cure2 and you're done. Those spells heal a bigger % of health than even Holy Word: Serenity, and they are simple 2.5 sec cast spells with no cooldown. Also, Regen heals more than a tank's health over 24 seconds, so you leave one on the tank and sometimes that can take care of everything outside of tank busters. That design leaves you with more "free time" that you can spend buffing people, resurrecting dead people, DPSing the boss, casting Holy on adds to AoE stun them, etc.

The fact that healers are expected to DPS in FF was not actually intended by the developers. It is a byproduct of the fact that heals are so strong that you rarely need to chain cast anything unless the group is constantly failing mechanics.

Can people explain to me how healing works in FF? The only time I played that game I tanked because healing seemed too foreign to me. Do you not direct heal on people? Is everything AOE mostly?
You know what Blizzard should do to make tanking and healing more attractive roles for players to play? Make them powerful. I don't have many friends but a couple of them dropped their DPS role to play Blood DK and DIsc Priest. Why? Probably because they feel very good to play. They probably feel very good to play because they perform very well if played correctly. It's obvious that Blood DK is the best tank in just about every situation. It's obvious that Disc Priest have possibly the highest skill cap in the game due to being able to DPS and heal through that DPS. Both these specializations also perform well when looking at the numbers.

Idk, at the end of the day, I feel Blizzard could make all healers and tanks feel powerful, thus creating a reason why people would play them. It must be difficult though because you don't want there to be no challenge at all. It's a fine line but it's very obvious to me that no one wants to be a healer unless they have underlining motivations to other than to have fun.
11/11/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Comedy
Disagree. Healing is by far the most fun left in wow.

If it weren't for the challenge of playing a healer in higher end content,

How can you disagree if you are only mentioning a niche, op said far more that high end content.
Healing hasn't been fun since Wrath. id say TBC really.

i do enjoy the leech as dps but even then you can gear right for certain classes and it takes all risk left out of the game
11/13/2018 11:54 AMPosted by Wÿvern
I like the idea of healing, but I hate having to stare at raid frames. I miss out on the actual fight.

Agreed. In PvE dungeons and raids they force the Blizzard nameplates so that Tidyplates no longer work.

The Blizz ones are so poorly designed I end up watching bars for health and buffs and debuffs which draws me away from immersion.
11/11/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Naiad
11/11/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Helenei
Healing in wow used to be fun,

The game stays the same. PLAYERS change. Nobody has as much "fun" their 6th year as their 1st year, playing the same game.

Many players falsely believe "the game is getting worse", when it is the player who is changing.

Personally, I played DPS for years. After the 7.3.5 patch (Feb 2018) I leveled up 5 healers (all 5 healing classes). Healing dungeon groups was FUN for me!

But if I had been healing dungeon groups every day for years, I don't think it would be "fun" anymore. That's why players quit. Of course they do, eventually!

You are so wrong about "the game stays the same."

It changes every damn expansion. Big changes. New features. Combat is way different in this game than when it first came out. Classes have been reworked many, many times.
11/13/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Indiscreto
Can people explain to me how healing works in FF? The only time I played that game I tanked because healing seemed too foreign to me. Do you not direct heal on people? Is everything AOE mostly?

Mostly the same concept, every healer has multiple single target and AoE heals. Some instant cast, some not, some regens, etc. The difference is, we have way more downtime in FF. There's normally not a ton of damage going out and you have plenty of time to help DPS, and you're expected to. WHM's heals are really strong, so I understand what that person is saying. One Cure 2 is enough to heal probably half of a tank's HP.

Unless you have a sh**ty tank or dps that are screwing mechanics up repeatedly, it's not a constant struggle to heal in FF like I remember it being in WoW(last I healed was legion though).
11/13/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Nillah
11/13/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Indiscreto

Mostly the same concept, every healer has multiple single target and AoE heals. Some instant cast, some not, some regens, etc. The difference is, we have way more downtime in FF. There's normally not a ton of damage going out and you have plenty of time to help DPS, and you're expected to. WHM's heals are really strong, so I understand what that person is saying. One Cure 2 is enough to heal probably half of a tank's HP.

Unless you have a sh**ty tank or dps that are screwing mechanics up repeatedly, it's not a constant struggle to heal in FF like I remember it being in WoW(last I healed was legion though).

How do you target say on a controller? The UI doesn't seem that easy to heal with that's why I never really tried.
11/11/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Naiad

Personally, I played DPS for years. After the 7.3.5 patch (Feb 2018) I leveled up 5 healers (all 5 healing classes). Healing dungeon groups was FUN for me!

But if I had been healing dungeon groups every day for years, I don't think it would be "fun" anymore. That's why players quit. Of course they do, eventually!

Oh hang on, so you didn't heal prior to 7.3.5? So you'd have no clue what it is to heal like before that. Thanks so much for the garbage input. You have literally added nothing to the discussion.

Healing has massively changed over the xpacs. Healers are a faint memory of the powerful group defining force that we once used to be. I left in MoP for personal reasons (but also because pandas are f*cking stupid), and when I came back at the end of Legion I was utterly disappointed in the state of healing.

I agree with everything the OP said and more. The hybridization of most DPS is what has gutted the abilities of both tanks and healers--but mostly healers. I've got a disc priest at 360, this shaman at 361--and I'm bored to death on both of them. I don't feel like I'm healing, when I do mythics or raid, but rather I feel like a utility spell of some other class. Now I'm looking desperately at either a druid, paladin or monk (blah) to level in order to keep this game interesting for me, but every where I go healers just seem to be different flavors of bland.
11/13/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Indiscreto
How do you target say on a controller? The UI doesn't seem that easy to heal with that's why I never really tried.

I'm not sure, I use KB+M. You'd probably have to use keybinds to target your party members, maybe there's a way to scroll through them? If you're interested in trying it out, go ask the FFXIV subreddit, there's a daily thread for questions stickied at the top.

I had an ex that started playing the game with a controller on his PS4 and ended up switching to KB+M, he said it was far too difficult to play the game with a controller. I can't imagine doing it, personally.
Healing in wow used to be fun,

The game stays the same. PLAYERS change. Nobody has as much "fun" their 6th year as their 1st year, playing the same game.

Many players falsely believe "the game is getting worse", when it is the player who is changing.

I just don't understand this logic when I hop onto a WotLK or MoP server and have 10x more fun than on retail.

inb4 "why are you here then" because I'm allowed to post for 4 more days.
11/13/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Wariya
Disagree. Healing is by far the most fun left in wow.

If it weren't for the challenge of playing a healer in higher end content,

How can you disagree if you are only mentioning a niche, op said far more that high end content.

Because you shouldn only care about content that matters? Healing in low end content will always be boring because it is low end content where there ISNT damage. They give you like 5-6 healers in LFR where you need maybe 2. When you do your mythic 0s or whatever at 350+ and you can blatantly stand in whatever you want because the damage doesnt matter.

We normally run 4-5 healers in mythic. We do heroic on off night? 2 healers until Mythrax. Most of the group is like 374 so it isnt like were vastly out gearing the content. Healing is always going to be "boring" in trivial content or content that your group doesnt make mistakes in. For a GOOD boss pull every healer should have like green/blue parses. It means no one stood in extra stuff so you didnt HAVE to heal and no one is sniping.
I think healing is fun, I just hate how GCD changes feel in M+.
Healing in wow used to be fun, now it is a low-quality gaming experience. I just did a warfront with not even one healer in it. I myself refused to heal because I did not want to stand around waiting for someone to come help me kill things.

Reasons healing sucks in WoW:
  • Over-specialized healing specs that are not fun to play.
  • Slow, boring rotation and gameplay.
  • Crappy healing gear early in the BFA expansion make healers feel weak and neglected. A lack of healing weapons and trinkets is a huge problem.
  • Hybrids that can no longer be played as a hybrid.
  • Healing specs, except disc priest are useless for leveling or grinding.
  • Talent matrix is too limiting for healers, especially hybrids.

Healing in WoW just isn't fun anymore which is why I rarely do it. I have quit healing on my holy paladin completely. All I hear is how much shaman healing sucks but I don't think the problem is with the shaman class, I think all healing in wow sucks, except maybe for priests.

I have rolled and played
Resto drood
Resto shammy
Holy/Disc priest

I tried to enjoy healing. Its not the class/specs, its the player base that made it miserable for me. The Bg whiners crying about no heals when they arent focusing objectives to the tanks blowing thru a dungeon then crying when they die because a healer wants to loot. I wont do it again.
Healing in wow used to be fun, now it is a low-quality gaming experience. I just did a warfront with not even one healer in it. I myself refused to heal because I did not want to stand around waiting for someone to come help me kill things.

Reasons healing sucks in WoW:
  • Over-specialized healing specs that are not fun to play.
  • Slow, boring rotation and gameplay.
  • Crappy healing gear early in the BFA expansion make healers feel weak and neglected. A lack of healing weapons and trinkets is a huge problem.
  • Hybrids that can no longer be played as a hybrid.
  • Healing specs, except disc priest are useless for leveling or grinding.
  • Talent matrix is too limiting for healers, especially hybrids.

Healing in WoW just isn't fun anymore which is why I rarely do it. I have quit healing on my holy paladin completely. All I hear is how much shaman healing sucks but I don't think the problem is with the shaman class, I think all healing in wow sucks, except maybe for priests.

That's because you suck as a healer. You don't sit around and wait to kill as a healer. You walk around watching your Allies health waiting to heal and healing rabidly as you see their health begin to fall. You know how to switch from person to person to keep them each alive. Know how to use your heals in the right succession of order to heal them and keep them all alive. Don't use your heal, use your flash heal. Don't use your miracle heal but when your comrade is about to die. Know how to play a healer, know how to use your moves.

Sacraficial