WoW Forum Migration Tues Nov 13th

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 14 Next
11/11/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Snowfox
Mmm beans

Beans beans, good for your heart.

Damnit Snow... :P
My only question is. Do they move in herds?
Hmmm, I can't tell by looking at the OW forums.

I am sure you can switch avatars there, but are you locked to a single name/handle?

I kinda hope that while you can swap avatars, you will have to post under a single ID like your battletag on the new forums.

No more sock puppets.
11/11/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Willkiller
I kinda hope that while you can swap avatars, you will have to post under a single ID like your battletag on the new forums.

No more sock puppets.
I doubt it,they were going to do that back in Wrath and people were quick to whip out the torches,pitch forks, buckets of tar and bags of goose feathers.
Hey everyone, WyomingMyst (the Tech Support MVP for Overwatch) here, the new forum platform actually has more of a feel like that of this forum platform but has the ability to format in Markdown (like Reddit) or in HTML. If you are knowledgeable with either formatting enough you can do some insane discussion threads. Just note that the reply "branching" that you see in Reddit is not used in the new forum platform.

For example, I run discussion forums about key matches for Overwatch League and the Overwatch World Cup. To make it look good I used HTML table formatting to build scoreboards and other fancy formatting.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/philadelphia-fusion-vs-london-spitfire-grand-finals/173215

The formatting options are also really great for creating visual guides too.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/guide-maximizing-system-performance-for-overwatch-pc/30

Of course once most users reach Trust Level 3, you all will want to post the memes. Just be respectful with them and you should have no problems. Cheers. (^^)v
11/11/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Damalys
11/11/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Willkiller

No more sock puppets.
I doubt it,they were going to do that back in Wrath and people were quick to whip out the torches,pitch forks, buckets of tar and bags of goose feathers.

That was for your RL name though, battletags don't give that out unless you were foolish when you created it.

There is a big difference between them making you use your real life name and making you use an anonymous account identifier, IMO.
11/11/2018 08:42 PMPosted by Siyanati
Hey everyone, WyomingMyst (the Tech Support MVP for Overwatch) here, the new forum platform actually has more of a feel like that of this forum platform but has the ability to format in Markdown (like Reddit) or in HTML. If you are knowledgeable with either formatting enough you can do some insane discussion threads. Just note that the reply "branching" that you see in Reddit is not used in the new forum platform.

For example, I run discussion forums about key matches for Overwatch League and the Overwatch World Cup. To make it look good I used HTML table formatting to build scoreboards and other fancy formatting.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/philadelphia-fusion-vs-london-spitfire-grand-finals/173215

The formatting options are also really great for creating visual guides too.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/guide-maximizing-system-performance-for-overwatch-pc/30

Of course once most users reach Trust Level 3, you all will want to post the memes. Just be respectful with them and you should have no problems. Cheers. (^^)v

Huh, interesting.

Looks pretty powerful.
11/11/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Pärker
Do they move in herds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIO7BvibNXw
11/11/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Willkiller
That was for your RL name though, battletags don't give that out unless you were foolish when you created it.

There is a big difference between them making you use your real life name and making you use an anonymous account identifier, IMO.
True but to some it does seem debateable as some people still perceive their BTag being out there would be a violation of their privacy. Either way,we'll find out come Tuesday.
11/11/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Kolgait
Will you finally fix the white flashes that happen everytime you switch pages? The fix is pretty simple. Set a background-color on the page instead of just relying on an image and the flashing will be gone.

Just checked this on the OW forums. Yeah it's gone.
11/11/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
11/11/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Dementious
I trust you with my bank account every month, Xpac, etc. Why can't you just give me the same level of respect?

Yeah, I can't see anything wrong with just letting anyone post any image they want. That would never have any bad results.

C'mon, think about this.

The fact you actually think I'm being serious, c'mon now, think about this.
why am i not surprised the overwatch mvp plays a female blood elf

ooooh

a perfectly fine example of incoming new wow forums

ahhhh
/licks WyomingMist

Mmm...minty!

At least you'll have a head start on a lot of us here with the forum format. Gonna be one hell of a learning curve for most of us, myself included. Just wish they had a dual BBCode/HTML parser. Having to type HTML tags is much slower than BBCode tags. :)
11/11/2018 06:57 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
11/11/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Kirela
What will the limit on flags be after trust levels go up? Is it always 5 and does this completely replace the report option we have now?

The report option is the method of flagging here, so whatever system they use on the OW/HotS side, will be used here instead. As for the number, I would expect that to remain "hidden" so as not to be gamed by anyone. Blizzard does want tighter control of the moderation methods after all (which is a good thing overall).

No, I am talking about "you can only flag 5 things per day" or whatever so be careful with your flags. That won't be hidden for long, but I am curious now.
11/11/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
/licks WyomingMist

Mmm...minty!

That's not exactly what my BattleTag... ah forget it. I'd be setting myself up for as far as I know.

11/11/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
At least you'll have a head start on a lot of us here with the forum format. Gonna be one hell of a learning curve for most of us, myself included. Just wish they had a dual BBCode/HTML parser. Having to type HTML tags is much slower than BBCode tags. :)

You can still use BBCode for most common scripting such as Bold and Italics. Also note, all code tags will be limited by what is permitted and what is not. Its not like you can create full formatted pages with CSS and the likes.
11/11/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Mirasol
The forums will be down on Tuesday Nov 13th from aprox 8am PST to 5pm PST to migrate them to the new software format. You can check out the Overwatch forums if you want to see an example.

The past two weeks of posts will migrate to the new forums. These forums will be locked as read only. You can also expect your post count to reset to zero, if it works like the other migrations.

Make sure to copy and save any guides, stories, or other posts you care about!

You can read about the details here https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/breaking/22764995

EDIT - The new forums also use HTML markup so you have some more formatting options. You can read a tutorial here on the OW board. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/forum-html-tutorial/7399

Excellent thread on the Heroes forum about Trust Levels and formatting. Ours should be similar. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

I heard on these new fourms if we get banned or suspended that will also carry onto the game and we wont be able to play for length of suspension or get our accounts banned forever ?

Is this true if so I will rarely post on fourms ever again since I rather not get my Wow account banned forever. And before you say it people get supsended or banned for silly reasons on the fourms thats always been the case.
SO what is the purpose of this change .

Does it improve the quality of the forums?

Does it make it easier for them to silence people , that call them out on things?

Does it bring all of the Blizzard games into one big forum ?
11/12/2018 12:13 AMPosted by Waidmann

Does it make it easier for them to silence people , that call them out on things?

1. No it does not if anything this is going to make the quality of the fourms go down more.

2. Yes it does Blizzard does not want people to post much so you need to earn trust levels and if you dont then your doomed basically to not be allowed to post as much.

3. Blizzard wants all games on one big fourm I guess becuse its cheaper and their going to do it despite what the players want.
11/12/2018 12:16 AMPosted by Clasmenethil
11/12/2018 12:13 AMPosted by Waidmann

1. No it does not if anything this is going to make the quality of the fourms go down more.

2. Yes it does Blizzard does not want people to post much so you need to earn trust levels and if you dont then your doomed basically to not be allowed to post as much.

3. Blizzard wants all games on one big fourm I guess becuse its cheaper and their going to do it despite what the players want.

1: Prove the quality will go down. Just because you dislike the set up doesn't mean much.

2: Only people worried about trust levels are people who know they aren't trustworthy. Be a better person.

3: it isn't one forum. It is all forums using the same foundation, as they should.
11/11/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Rautha
snowfox and others are gonna lose their bananas about the post count

I actually don't mind this. I love wow and talking to others about it. Had nothing to do with "post count" You could have 30 posts and I agree with it, or have 20k and disagree.