WoW Forum Migration Tues Nov 13th

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 14 Next
will sunday threads still be allowed under the new forum rules?

this forum is nothing without the sunday threads!
The new forums are going to look like reddit?

Can't Blizzard actually think of an original format? Copy/paste society with their copy/paste ideas...

I hate reddit format.

Over moderated and a horrible format. No thanks.
11/11/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Gilius
11/11/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Mirasol
I think Snowfox will be just fine :) The regulars here have seen the threads discussing the changes now for a few months so are likely ready for them.

I will ask here since I haven't seen anything on it yet.

Mira, can you confirm if a suspension from the Forums will result in a suspension from the game? Asking primarily because other posters have said this is the case. This would be a pretty serious change in the Terms of Service and Blizzard's stance the past 14 years if so.

It looks likes suspensions don't do anything in-game unless you are spreading hacks/cheats/exploits. Maybe real life threats too?
I'm already imagining having to scroll down in what was previously say a 100+ page thread.
I would parley an educated guess that outside of major infractions (threats, racial slurs, etc) that if it does not affect anything in-game, there's a good chance it won't net you an in-game ban. You'd have to be surprisingly toxic on the fora to get a two-for there. While moderation "feels" more heavy handed on the OW fora, they also have better tools and try to check posts more carefully utilizing those tool as well. I would say the moderation on OW is more in line with what should have been going on here but couldn't due to lack of good back end tools to help with the job.
11/11/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Tattalia
I'm already imagining having to scroll down in what was previously say a 100+ page thread.

Reddit has it, Twitter has it, Facebook has it...god it's everywhere. It works fine for a while but then my computer has trouble once I've scrolled down so far I can't see the bar on the side. I'm sick of it. We need more page systems.
11/11/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Kerguelen
11/11/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Tattalia

Reddit has it, Twitter has it, Facebook has it...god it's everywhere. It works fine for a while but then my computer has trouble once I've scrolled down so far I can't see the bar on the side. I'm sick of it. We need more page systems.

Agreed. Clicking the 'show more replies' button and further scrolling is infinitely worse than pages. They also state this stuff like it automatically updating, so if you keep a thread open in a tab on your browser does it just.. keep going? Is chrome gonna eat all of my ram again?

I also really, really dislike reddits comment reply system to other peoples comments. It's truly a headache.

The only thing I can say I like is the notifications when you are mentioned/quoted, and I hope if your post/thread gets deleted you also(finally) get a notification and perhaps a reason why so you don't assume that something bugged out and it never posted etc.
11/11/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Mirasol
11/11/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Gilius

I will ask here since I haven't seen anything on it yet.

Mira, can you confirm if a suspension from the Forums will result in a suspension from the game? Asking primarily because other posters have said this is the case. This would be a pretty serious change in the Terms of Service and Blizzard's stance the past 14 years if so.

It looks likes suspensions don't do anything in-game unless you are spreading hacks/cheats/exploits. Maybe real life threats too?

what about forum trolling and harassment, while on stream, with a lil yap dog in your ear, whilst eating chili?
Genuine, serious question.
I just looked at the overwatch forums and I don't like the layout. It looks what twitter's and reddit's baby would look like :S . It's just awful! And if this forum will have the silence system it will most deftly be abused.
11/11/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Tilra
I just looked at the overwatch forums and I don't like the layout. It looks what twitter's and reddit's baby would look like :S . It's just awful!

I really don't like it either, way too much going on there and all about random stats like view counts, frequent posters etc. Way too much clutter that's unimportant, makes me question why they think it's an upgrade to these forums. I'm assuming the only real thing they want is the flagging system and etc.
That in browser scroll bar kind of sucks.
What will the limit on flags be after trust levels go up? Is it always 5 and does this completely replace the report option we have now?
I feel like the flag system could be abused. What if you post an unpopular opinion, one that doesn't even break the rules but the majority of people hate it, so then a bunch of people flag you and your post automatically gets locked?
11/11/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Kirela
What will the limit on flags be after trust levels go up? Is it always 5 and does this completely replace the report option we have now?

The report option is the method of flagging here, so whatever system they use on the OW/HotS side, will be used here instead. As for the number, I would expect that to remain "hidden" so as not to be gamed by anyone. Blizzard does want tighter control of the moderation methods after all (which is a good thing overall).
11/11/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Tyierin
I feel like the flag system could be abused. What if you post an unpopular opinion, one that doesn't even break the rules but the majority of people hate it, so then a bunch of people flag you and your post automatically gets locked?

FWIW Overwatch and HotS were way more ban-happy even before they switched to the new train wreck format. That much, at least, probably isn't worth worrying about.
Wish they would bring back the feature to link in-game items like it used to before and be done with it.

I also like this brown-and-yellow background, it's easy on the eyes.

Not looking forward to seeling .gifs and memes plastered all over the place either. Remember those attention seeking posters with flashing .gif signatures? They are the worst.

I remember having to scroll through garbage posts like twogirlsonecup.gif on Metal Sludge forums.
I wish we could upgrade to seeing the realm of the character displayed.. Seeing the author and last person to respond to a post with number of views displayed from the forum posting list... Exact time a post was posted... The post number in relation to number of replies a post has gotten.. This seems to continue the Fisher Price version of the forums...

Who would have thought the forums and their content would have been displayed better 10+ years ago... I didn’t......

Edit: Somehow I got stuck on the old OW forums that didn’t seem different than this forum format.. I’m not sure I like the new design better, but it does give some more detail. Some of the details in the new format seem superfluous and not useful while keeping inane things like “posted 1 minute ago lol”.
First you try and kill your games, now you are gonna kill your forums.

Stick a fork in it already, Blizz.

"Trust", why do I feel like a 5 year old right now? Oh goody, I am trusted and can post a picture of my cat now! Can I have my lolly now, geezuz.

I trust you with my bank account every month, Xpac, etc. Why can't you just give me the same level of respect?
Wonder why so many are calling this forum brown and yellow since the text itself is white. Maybe most players are using super fast but crappy color TN panel displays? :o

Properly calibrated, the colors are grey-brown background, white text, dark gold buttons and borders.
11/11/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Shaftogar
11/11/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Tyierin

FWIW Overwatch and HotS were way more ban-happy even before they switched to the new train wreck format. That much, at least, probably isn't worth worrying about.

I feel like it will be, considering the factional hatreds between red and blue here. Imagine a thread about horde bias (whether justified or not, we see the threads already, so it's just an example) and it gets a myriad of Horde posters who go in and decide to flag every poster who makes a complaint.

Mark my words...