Skills questions

Classic Discussion
Hi im new to Vanilla and im really hyped. I plan to play mage with a friend and i got some questions about skills. If my friend play a melee class, my defense skill wont level much. Is it bad that my defense skill dont level up much?

Do you have tips to level up skills?

Do skills really worth?

Do weapon skills worth for a mage?
You're a mage, if you're getting hit your defense skill will not save you.
weapon skills for mage do nothing unless you have no mana
high int means faster leveling of skills
defense is always good to have maxed ,for mage its not the most important thing it might max out if you let things whack upon you, for tanks you must have this maxed for raid content
11/14/2018 08:45 AMPosted by Banja

Pretty much this. Also, unless you and your friend plan to do every last thing together AND don't spend any time fighting packs (including any sort of dungeons) you'll likely enjoy the attention of mobs from time to time and defense levels reasonably quickly...
Casters just need to build up their wand skill.
The higher the skill the less "misses" you will get.

As a hunter I didn't need to worry about my bow skills increasing.
But I did with my melee weapon skills because I didn't melee that much and when I did it was mostly wingclip to get back into range distance.

So I did have to go seek lower mobs and work on melee weapon skills.

Defense just builds up naturally when mobs hit you.
If you want to level it up go to a lower zone where mob hits won't kill you right away and let them beat on you for a bit.
Don’t listen to these people. You are going to fight and die in many different kinds of scenarios. There will be times when you are rooted and don’t have mana to blink. In that situation, you better be wanding or hitting me with your stafff if your wand is crap. And the defense skill might seem meaningless, but you should get it maxed anyway, tank some damage from beasts once in a while. You never know when a maxed defense skill will be what saves your life when you’re jumped in STV or Blackrock Mountain
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Gnarlybolt
Don’t listen to these people. You are going to fight and die in many different kinds of scenarios. There will be times when you are rooted and don’t have mana to blink. In that situation, you better be wanding or hitting me with your stafff if your wand is crap. And the defense skill might seem meaningless, but you should get it maxed anyway, tank some damage from beasts once in a while. You never know when a maxed defense skill will be what saves your life when you’re jumped in STV or Blackrock Mountain
this is exaxtly what i said just with way more words
Yes all skills matter very much at 60. Your wep skills with staff / wands will come in big for when your oom.

Wrong. Def cap is essential for all classes, clothies / mages included because it affects your chance to miss, dodge, parry etc, before diminishing returns.
11/14/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Veskr
Yes all skills matter very much at 60. Your wep skills with staff / wands will come in big for when your oom.

Wrong. Def cap is essential for all classes, clothies / mages included because it affects your chance to miss, dodge, parry etc, before diminishing returns.

And as a mage if you're continually getting hit your'e going to die.

Fact.
As any class if you're getting continually hit you're going to die

Defense skill gives u a better chance to avoid some of those hits along the way.

Fact.
Thank you all for your answers!