Penance offensive vs defensive

Priest
Hey, Im just returning to my priest after Legion where we almost always used penance offensively, but I read in a few places that penance is now mostly used defensively. Would anyone mind clearing this up for me?

Unfortunately I am out and about right now and don’t have the time to put in the research mysef and the question is lingering in the back of my head.
It's used for both intermittently. For example, if I'm pushing higher M+ keys and have an "oh !@#$" situation I'll use it defensively, but if I'm in a raid setting I'll always use it offensively. It's use varies based on the situation you find yourself in.
My nuance is if you have one person who needs immediately healing, use it defensively. If you are going to heal 2 or more people through atonement, use it offensively.
isn't shadowmend spam > penance (or close enough?)
10/07/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Flutterdash
isn't shadowmend spam > penance (or close enough?)

Shadowmend spam is higher throughput than Penance, so the use of Penance as a heal should be situational. There's a discussion of it buried in the long "Disc, does it get better?" thread but a simplified summary is that there are two common use cases:

1. When mobility is needed. Penance can be cast in motion, Shadowmend cannot.

2. When immediacy is needed. Penance heals twice before Shadowmend heals once.

My personal attitude is that you're probably better off using PW:S for these use cases, but YMMV.
In a PvP situation pnenance defensively can be very good challenging eapecially paird with Contrition and X talent, can’t think of the name.

Mobility in PvP is key, penance allows you to heal on the move and avoid CC/interrupts etc.

If you’re going in for a kill and have the proc might as well go offensive, otherwise defensively is great.
10/07/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Danceyy
Hey, Im just returning to my priest after Legion where we almost always used penance offensively, but I read in a few places that penance is now mostly used defensively. Would anyone mind clearing this up for me?

Unfortunately I am out and about right now and don’t have the time to put in the research mysef and the question is lingering in the back of my head.

In a raid environment, Smite initially has more throughput than offensive Penance, except when Power of the Dark Side procs. But I believe once you get to a certain number of Atonements (it's either 3 or 5, I can't remember which one), you should be using Penance offensively when it's off CD. So, basically, until you hit that breakpoint, as it were, it's better to only use Penance when you need to move, or when Power of the Dark Side procs. After that breakpoint, however, Penance does more healing anyway than Smite (due to how Atonement scales).

This does not factor in Azerite traits, however.
Here's disc's single-target healing per sec, from highest to lowest:

1. Rapture shield spam
2. Penance (with Power of the Dark Side proc)
3. Shadow Mend
4. Penance
5. PW: Shield spam
6. Damage rotation (schism, solace, penance, smite)
7. Smite spam

It's all about using your own judgement on when to use it. For pure healing throughput, offensive penance won't heal more unless you've got 3+ atonements out.

The rule of thumb for disc is offensive = aoe, defensive = single target.
You have to, have to, have to heal through your atonements. It is the greatest healing throughput there is. Greater than all other spells to get everyone up.

Of course, if someone is dying <30% health, you shadowmend their way up a bit, but the focus of disc is healing through damaging the enemy.
10/08/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Beamz
You have to, have to, have to heal through your atonements. It is the greatest healing throughput there is. Greater than all other spells to get everyone up.

Of course, if someone is dying <30% health, you shadowmend their way up a bit, but the focus of disc is healing through damaging the enemy.
Mmmmm not quite.