New to Monk - *Mistweaver*

Monk
So I decided to roll a monk for heals. I saw very few monk healers in Legion (and haven't really seen any in BfA, but that's also because I literally only play with my guild), so I decided to try it out. In dungeons I feel pretty good. Depending on the fight I get anywhere between 5k-13k HPS per boss (I'm only 310 ilvl, so I know that's kind of low).

However, I want to get into raiding with this toon. I just did my first LFR and decided to kickweave instead of the ST tanksitting healing build, and man was I low. I'm talking 3k HPS, and the other monks/priests were sitting at a comfortable 10k. I was pretty sure I was doing everything right, too. Tiger palm x 3, essence font on cd, rising sun kick, blackout kick, rising sun kick, renewing mists on cd, the whole shabang. I know it's difficult to tell me what I might be wrong without a log, so I think I'll be doing another LFR and recording so that I can post some info.

If you guys can think of that I might have been doing wrong, common mistakes you see, etc. feel free to let me know. Thanks!
Kick weaving is very weak imo. The talent build I run I find is the most effective. Generally I use my 2 teas for free vivify, renewing mist usually on CD, and essence font on large raid dmg. I mostly heal dungeons though, but when I raided I was top heals at 15-20k. When low dmg is going out I snipe soothing mists because just using that I regen mana well.

Also a key factor you may have missed is was the raid taking a lot of damage? Or there wasn't much to heal. If other healers were doing more than I'd say it's stat priority and gear. (mine is horrible I need way more crit)

I'm gonna clear heroic this week so I'll reply again once I see if my build is good there to.
Mistweavers don't fare well in normal/LFR raids. There just isn't enough incoming damage to heal.

Classes which are able to maintain consistent hots or shields on the raid will outpace you.

Worry about your numbers on Heroic and beyond.
Any changes to mana regen and fistweaving in raids from Legion to BFA? Or is it still a core part of MW?
Kick-weaving is not viable for healing outside of normal/heroic dungeons. That doesn’t mean there aren’t times when you can situationally make it work. It’s more that it will always do less healing than if you took Focused Thunder or Upwelling.
Dont worry about healing meters in lfr.

LFR healing is pretty light, meaning there will only be so much damage going out to heal and it's not alot of dmg to begin with. Worry more about what talents you are using, learning your spells, weaving in some damage, and improving your reaction time. People/Specs who are faster and more bursty will usually be higher, that one person that popped their CD and didnt get snipped will also prob be up there in lfr. People who have also run normal-mythic raids will usually be good at knowing when certain things happen. Plus lfr fights dont last that long and you can blow mana on your best/fastest sp.

So like Taloc lfr you can pop your Revival asap after his cudgel aoe nuke and youll most likely be on top of the chart for the rest of the fight, second cudgel you can ChiJi + essence font w/ upwelling + spam Vivify, third/fourth your revival again. Between this you can be making a sandwich and top the HPS chart in lfr. Seriously, dont worry about lfr healing meters they'll only discourage you.

*I say worry about what you are using because ( as pointed out above ) the fistweaving build is more or less niche on a few fights and is lacking compared to upwelling. Info here: https://www.peakofserenity.com/2018/09/08/mistweaver-talent-builds/
Well I decided to do the next wing of LFR with the basic ST build. Mist Wrap, Lifecycles, Jade Statue, and Upwelling. My performance shot up drastically and I found I was still able to do quite a bit of raid healing through Essence Font/Revival even though that's our tank focus build, especially with Font of Life stacked twice.

I'm just so used to looking up at the meters and being able to gauge everything so quickly as a DPS, it's gonna take me a hot minute to get out of this "gotta have the biggest d*ck here" mindset.

So with all this being said, what are the best secondaries to stack? I know our Mastery is super essential because of Gust of Mists, but after that what should I be going for? Haste for faster tick rates on my HoTs? or Vers/Crit so that Essence Font does better healing when I pop it?
10/11/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Healzcookie
Well I decided to do the next wing of LFR with the basic ST build. Mist Wrap, Lifecycles, Jade Statue, and Upwelling. My performance shot up drastically and I found I was still able to do quite a bit of raid healing through Essence Font/Revival even though that's our tank focus build, especially with Font of Life stacked twice.

I'm just so used to looking up at the meters and being able to gauge everything so quickly as a DPS, it's gonna take me a hot minute to get out of this "gotta have the biggest d*ck here" mindset.

So with all this being said, what are the best secondaries to stack? I know our Mastery is super essential because of Gust of Mists, but after that what should I be going for? Haste for faster tick rates on my HoTs? or Vers/Crit so that Essence Font does better healing when I pop it?

For raids it’s:
1. Int
2. Crit
3. Vers*
4. Haste*
5. Mastery

*Depending on your talents and Azerite Traits, Haste can be more valuable than Vers.

For M+ it’s:
1. Int
2. Haste = Mastery
3. Vers
4. Crit

To clarify, if your main healing spell is Essence Font and you are using Upwelling the first stat priorities are for you (raid healing). If you are primarily using Enveloping Mist, Renewing Mist, Soothing Mists and Vivify the second stat priorities are for you (tank healing).
10/11/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Healzcookie

You can go here and set this up to find out what stats are best for you: https://www.peakofserenity.com/bfa/mistweaver/spreadsheet/

If you take the time to read through and set it up it will also help you down the road ( you just copy/paste data or logs ). Secondary stats depend on how you heal like mentioned above but anyone telling what is best is just guessing. Secondary stats are pretty close and you can set that spreadsheet+put in a log and find out what secondary stats are best for what you are doing.

If you dont want to put that much effort into it just take highest ilvl but try to collect alot of gear and play with secondaries yourself. Vers/Crit are still good for raids, with some mast mixed. Mastery/haste are good for m+ but other stats are useful and haste is different for everyone you talk to, some like more haste, others like enough so casting feels good then pack mastery/other stats....

Also note you can swap around talents and pick up Chi-Ji(90) or Chi burst(15) if you dont find the tanks need constant healing in the raids you do. It gives you an extra cooldown and some extra free aoe healing. The "tanksitting" build is pretty versatile and you are not really limited to just tank healing but either way Essence Font will be your highest healing spell if used correctly. Always try to Essence font when 6+ people are taking damage even with upwelling, though sometimes you can plan ahead and grow the stacks while you do dmg like on mother. ( dont feel like you need to wait till 18 stacks always ) On higher difficulties you'll want to swap the 15 and 90 talents back and forth because some bosses do huge tank dmg and others dont, and raid compositions never always have the same healers. MW is pretty versatile.
I'm trying to make fistweaving work, but it's definitely more challenging than just taking upwelling and using EF on raid wide AOE damage, and then weaving in vivify/em with lifecycles.

To make fistweaving work you need to be casting vivify throughout the fight, while doing blackout strikes to regen mana so you don't OOM yourself. Then using EF on AoE damage, but having TFT available for 2x rising sun kicks (plus a third with stacks of monastery) to use after EF to get the gusts of wind procs. It can be a sizable burst AoE and costs very little mana to do. But this now requires you to line up your TFT with EF and have your RM out for big raid AoE hits. That's a lot of timing and preparation than just clicking EF once you see a big hit.

When I look at the meters, gusts is 1st or 2nd in total healing with EF next. When I compare to running someone with upwelling, EF is almost 40-50% of their healing. So in short, fistweaving can do some really nice damage, and do some "competitive" healing, but upwelling is way easier.
Hi,

I am new also to MW heal and I was wandering if i can get your opinion on the followed question:

Witch Azerite trait do you use for M+?

Is it better to use Crane over Jade Statue for M+?

Thank
10/12/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Ailanya
Hi,

I am new also to MW heal and I was wandering if i can get your opinion on the followed question:

Witch Azerite trait do you use for M+?

Is it better to use Crane over Jade Statue for M+?

Thank
chi ji is usually nicer in keys, helps deal with high incoming aoe dmg, Azerite trait wise uplifting spirits is really nice, atm am using archive, uplifting spirits and mastery of the pack for a large boost in mastery.
All of this information is so useful, and I love it a lot. So let me pose this question: Would it be more worth it to take upwelling with spirit of the crane instead of Rising Mist/crane? I know I'd probably have to switch to Chi Burst as well since lifecycles would be out of the question, and since I'd be in melee anyway for my blackout kicks CB would work out better anyway. That would give a hefty amount of raid healing from EF, I'd be able to spot heal with vivify/Gust of Mists, and then still be able to regen mana nicely while waiting for that next raid hit. I feel like this would work for bosses like Mother and Vectis where there are certain points in the raid that have high amounts of raid wide damage.