When did this community become so toxic?

General Discussion
I am so so disappointed in the community of this game. The constant complaining and crying over every mechanic in game is not productive and a lot of times is entirely unwarranted.

Anyone complaining about gearing must have forgotten that this system has been in place forever. In fact, it’s only become easier to gear. All the way up to legion you HAD to find multiple sets of gear for many situations or specs.

Azerite armor isn’t the most exciting, but it’s being worked on. Sorry if RNG isn’t rolling your way...but THATS HOW MMORPGs work! And the traits are still being worked on. Oh, and people who think “there is nothing to do” are absolutely crazy. There is more to do in this game than there ever has been. And if you are getting bored...I’d love to see how many hours your putting in each week. And then I’d love to hear your choice of game that offers more content for time played.

Dungeons and the world are AMAZING. Questing is the best it’s ever been. The scaling system in PvP is arguably the best it’s ever been (pretty good balance between “everyone has a solid chance” and “gear still matters”)

Yes, I know some things haven’t been the cleanest, and there were a lot of bugs apparently (I sure as hell didn’t experience any tho). Azerite traits were a bit boring. But, all of this can be fixed. And will be.

I should mention that I am by no means a fanboy...I have my fair share of gripes with various decisions. But the toxicity lately has been overkill. It seems like this fan base listens to one Youtuber (who is genuinely an idiot...aka asmongold. I mean, listen to his rant about not getting his pvp gear that he didn’t earn) and then the fan base just follows whatever he’s saying. It’s like people can’t think for themselves anymore.

To finish, I’ve genuinely been enjoying BFA. i know there have been issues, but I don’t think they’ve been ANYWHERE near as bad as the fan base has been making it seem. The user scores are a joke...sheep thinking they’re being clever.

Fans...let’s do our best to be productive critics and not just complain because that’s what’s cool. Love y’all and have some fun out there!

Rant over
k
TLDR
But what about the people complaining about the complaining?
Basically since the beginning of Humanity or at since the beginning of the Internet.

There's never been a time when parts of the Warcraft community weren't incredibly toxic to some extent. There were game haters before the game was released who were praying for its failure because they felt slighted and they insisted Warcraft wasn't a major enough IP to hold up a MMORPG.

However I think the number of popular streamers who are toxic themselves, at least in part, and encourage toxicity that supports them can be part of the problem. The solution are to encourage positive attitude (or at least constructive) streamers and put your heart and soul into maintaining toxic-free communities.
10/14/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Takodda
I’ve genuinely been enjoying BFA. i know there have been issues, but I don’t think they’ve been ANYWHERE near as bad as the fan base has been making it seem.
So that's what you really mean when you say "toxic"
Anyone complaining about gearing must have forgotten that this system has been in place forever.
Titanforging has been in the gear since MOP. The RNG gem slots since WoD.

Getting gear doesn't feel good, because instead of working towards 1 piece of gear that you want, they throw gear at you and you hope that it is an upgrade. More != Better.

It is RNG in its purest form, and there is nothing we can do to alleviate it (even though craftable gem slots, ilvl, and tertiary stats would go a very very long way).
Playing WoW is like watching a family member fall into alcoholism or adiction.

You love them, but at the same time you want to punch them in the face
Yup me to all people can do these days is complain all expansions are slow at the beginning I have been enjoying it myself as well people these days all look at only the negatives I appreciate all the hard work they do to make all this for us and yet a lot just complain.
10/14/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Sinistrë
TLDR
When did this community become so toxic?

Nov 23, 2004
the state of this community is a direct response to the state of the game
10/14/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Astodam
the state of this community is a direct response to the state of the game

Usually this. People actually want to have fun playing the game.
I noticed it starting to get bad towards the end of WotLK, and getbreally bad in Cata.
Anyone complaining about gearing must have forgotten that this system has been in place forever.
Oh? You mean every expansion prior to the last two you could get gear from normal mode dungeons and have it titanforge to be better than mythic raid gear? Because that's never been a thing.

Or maybe you mean the gear system in which you get an upgrade and it's an overall loss in abilities because now there's some arbitrary grind that you need to complete before you're actually allowed to functionally use the gear you loot.

Or maybe you mean how none of the classes have any unique looks at all, something that previously was in place since vanilla.

Or maybe you mean how they've completely removed tier bonuses which have also been in place since vanilla.

Azerite armor isn’t the most exciting, but it’s being worked on.
It's not enjoyable at all. When those buffoons host a Q&A and boast about how in two months of the game they've had to do over 300 changes to their newly implemented system that has received nothing but bad feedback, they should've understood from that point that it doesn't work. It's not a good system. If you have to change your system more than 300 times within two months, it's time to scrap the system. Period.

Dungeons and the world are AMAZING.
I would agree, outside of the scaling of some of the dungeons. Drastic differences between the dungeons to the point that some of them you just don't want to run regardless what affixes they are.

I should mention that I am by no means a fanboy
You most definitely are, actually. Years after ignored feedback and criticism, you're just like blizzard and you seem to think we need to behave.

As a player base we get completely ignored by the development team on anything actually pertinent towards game play and instead get answers to questions like "Are we going to get a green raptor this expansion?"

We communicate our criticisms and they are completely ignored. We communicate our concerns and they are completely ignored. You get angry at being ignored and they delete your post and they suspend you from posting on the forum.

We become increasingly toxic to the development team as they put themselves on an ever increasing pedestal and pretend how amazing the game is. How everything they've done is great. How the system that they have had to change more than three times every single day of the expansion so far, on average.

The development team has shown time and time and time and time again that they don't care. They don't care that the systems are flawed. They don't care about all of the issues you experience as a player.

The only thing anyone on this development team cares about is how much you spend on the game. As long as the game is so godawful that you spend 6 months doing something that would've taken you 2 weeks in any other expansion, you'll keep playing.

This development team knows that there is no competition in the MMO market, so they can be as abhorrent as they want to be and there will literally never be any downfall to them. The sheep will still play.
Yeah sorry this community is so passionate about a once great game turned garbage by a bunch of misguided and no talent developers. Every game developer in the world would love to have this "toxic" community that you speak of. We stick around and provide volumes of feedback even though the game is erectile dysfunction. We wait upon hope for fixes to be implemented. We are literally the only community on earth that will pay a company 'in hopes' that they will deliver as promised.

Azerite armor isn’t the most exciting, but it’s being worked on. Sorry if RNG isn’t rolling your way...but THATS HOW MMORPGs work!

White Knighting at it's finest. Remember the game doesn't suck, it's just how MMORPG's have always been. It's not blizzard guys! It's us who have changed. The only toxic people on the forums are the blissfully ignorant white knights who literally lie about the game being good.
Wrath of th Lich King
10/14/2018 11:36 AMPosted by Gnodiggity
Yeah sorry this community is so passionate about a once great game turned garbage by a bunch of misguided and no talent developers. Every game developer in the world would love to have this "toxic" community that you speak of. We stick around and provide volumes of feedback even though the game is erectile dysfunction. We wait upon hope for fixes to be implemented. We are literally the only community on earth that will pay a company 'in hopes' that they will deliver as promised.

Azerite armor isn’t the most exciting, but it’s being worked on. Sorry if RNG isn’t rolling your way...but THATS HOW MMORPGs work!

White Knighting at it's finest. Remember the game doesn't suck, it's just how MMORPG's have always been. It's not blizzard guys! It's us who have changed. The only toxic people on the forums are the blissfully ignorant white knights who literally lie about the game being good.

OP's point proven, I suppose.
Community toxicity really started when they introduced LFG. Especially the cross-realm LFG. Players were no longer held accountable for their mouths or their actions.
The exact date: August 14, 2018