Battle pets locked behind PvP content?

Pet Battles
I don't get why they're locking battle pets behind pvp content (warfronts) this expansion. Do people who enjoy pvp really like to also collect battle pets? Its frustrating to me because I love battle pets but cannot participate in pvp activity (too stressful for me). It makes better sense to earn battle pets during, well, battle pet activities.
I agree completely. Moreover, the honor level they're requiring for Sir Snips and Bucketshell is completely unreasonable.

Moreover, we were assured that they would not be locking pets behind PvP content again. So, Ion and crew think it's perfectly fine, right and proper to lie to the players.
as far as I'm aware, warfronts are only pvp in theme (alli vs horde); I have never encountered an actual horde player. It seems to just be another zone with mobs with rare drops. I may be misunderstanding the aspect you're looking at, though; can you please clarify?
10/18/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Rhosaleen
as far as I'm aware, warfronts are only pvp in theme (alli vs horde); I have never encountered an actual horde player. It seems to just be another zone with mobs with rare drops. I may be misunderstanding the aspect you're looking at, though; can you please clarify?

Sir Snips and Bucketshell. Attain 400 honor level and one or the other is yours (depending on which faction you're logged on at the time).
Warfronts are PvE.
I'm pretty sure you can't get honor points from them.
If you're talking about the Warfront pets, those are cageable. So there's that.

Plus, for the first few days your faction "controls" the warfront (portal appears at the warfront area to teleport there), there's little to no PVP. Turn off warmode and you'll be fine. The pets drop off the rare mobs that are scattered around the warfront area. No PVP involved, really.

Now if you're talking about the Honor 400 PVP pets...well let's just say I put those on my "excluded" list for the foreseeable future. Collecting those 2 just isn't realistic for me unless Blizzard changes how they're acquired (rotate the Honor rewards each season, put them on a vendor, etc.)

I'm sure there are some hardcore PVP'ers that also enjoy/collect pets. But I imagine they are a very, very, very small fraction relative to the overall PVP community. I'm sure the majority of PVP'ers would much prefer something bigger and more noticeable that they can show off.
10/18/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Quintessence
Collecting those 2 just isn't realistic for me unless Blizzard changes how they're acquired (rotate the Honor rewards each season, put them on a vendor, etc.)

You can collect one or the other, not both.
10/18/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Loncis
10/18/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Quintessence
Collecting those 2 just isn't realistic for me unless Blizzard changes how they're acquired (rotate the Honor rewards each season, put them on a vendor, etc.)

Just another indicator that the PVP system needs an alternate/better way to distribute rewards. Regardless, lvl 400 Honor isn't feasible for me.
10/18/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Quintessence
Just another indicator that the PVP system needs an alternate/better way to distribute rewards. Regardless, lvl 400 Honor isn't feasible for me.

I don't think the 400 honor is a reasonable requirement at all. It's ridiculous. I thought I might have a chance to do this, if I did the Legion towers every day, since at level 120, they shouldn't be difficult. But Blizzard thought of that an reduced the Honor rewards to 1/10 of what they used to be.
I had hit prestige 25 on my main in Legion, and level 7 on my alliance alt for the alliance battle pet, so I came in BFA with a pretty good jump on 400. I was in the low 180's honor level.

After a few months of moderately PVP'ing in BFA, I have come to the conclusion that I will not even be close to honor level 400 during this expansion, and probably not even during the next expansion if things remain in their current state.

The honor bar creeps up at a pathetically slow pace. I can do an AV which turns out to be a flawless victory; we take out every bunker and all our towers are still standing, and that honor bar will move up roughly 15%. Pathetic.

Horde queue times are 10...12...15 minutes sometimes, only to end up going against a premade and getting obliterated with zero honor, then back into another 15 minute queue to go against the next zero honor premade.

World PVP? Well this expansion is based on WPVP, so that should give good honor, right? Wrong. The assassin/bounty hunter, achievements, WPVP weekly quests ALL should reward major honor. Even WPVP kills should. Virtually no honor for any of it.

Not sure why there aren't FFA's and other world quests to at the very least allow us to world quest PVP our way up a few levels a week and then hit up battleground/arena's to supplement that.

Possibly they only want players who PVP 6+ hours a day to get those battle pets. But that's not in my stars.
What prompted my question was this article on WowHead "New Baby Raptor and Warfront Battle Pets from Patch 8.1 PTR Build".

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287990/new-baby-raptor-and-warfront-battle-pets-from-patch-8-1-ptr-build

Items:
    New Pets: Baby Raptors and Warfront Rare Drops
    Faction Scouting Maps Added - Flight Paths for Alts
    New Mounts: Nightsabers, Chimaera, Kodos, and more
    New Baby Raptors

I'm under the impression that warfronts work much like battle grounds, which are meant to be PvP. Is this not the case? Are warfronts more like a massive dungeon/raid that changes every week? If so, that sort of negates the whole idea of a "war front".

If warfronts are really just another raid, does that mean I would need to be chosen to do one or are they queued like LFD or LFR?
Warfronts are not a raid and they are not pvp.

When your faction owns it, you queue and do a super easy (but time-consuming) scenario w/ other players to take out an enemy faction leader in a pve setting.
10/18/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Peapöd
I'm under the impression that warfronts work much like battle grounds, which are meant to be PvP. Is this not the case? Are warfronts more like a massive dungeon/raid that changes every week? If so, that sort of negates the whole idea of a "war front".

There are 2 versions of the Warfront. Each faction experiences them both, but at different times.

There's the "Controlled by A or H" period, and then the "A or H battle for it" phase. Both are PVE and do not require PVP. If you're interested in just the pets, you only need to concern yourself with the "Controlled" period.

Example:
Controlled phase - Alliance gains control. A portal opens up in the Warfront area and they can head into an updated version of Arathi Highland to complete quests, fight rares, etc. No PVP required.

Flying is allowed because it's still technically Arathi Highlands. Horde CAN technically go there (they'd need to physically travel there, no portal for them at this stage), but if you have Warmode off, they can't do anything to you. There's no forced PVP-flagging.

You can speak with the Bronze Dragon in the zone to "go back in time" and view the old version.

Horde then need to turn in items to trigger the Battle phase.

Battle phase - After Horde finish their turn-ins, they can queue up for a 20-man scenario to fight over Arathi Highland. Alliance do not see or experience any effects from their Battle phase.

This part has nothing to do with battle pets, and is mainly centered on PVE and gear. Again, no PVP, just fighting NPCs and completing objectives.

A period of time passes, Horde "win" and gain control. They enter their Controlled phase. A portal opens up for them, they can port directly to Arathi, fight rares, etc. It's then the Alliance's turn to turn in items and wait for their Battle phase. The process repeats itself forever (or until Blizzard decides to turn it off. :P)
10/18/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Quintessence
10/18/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Peapöd

There are 2 versions of the Warfront. Each faction experiences them both, but at different times.

There's the "Controlled by A or H" period, and then the "A or H battle for it" phase. Both are PVE and do not require PVP. If you're interested in just the pets, you only need to concern yourself with the "Controlled" period.

Example:
Controlled phase - Alliance gains control. A portal opens up in the Warfront area and they can head into an updated version of Arathi Highland to complete quests, fight rares, etc. No PVP required.

Flying is allowed because it's still technically Arathi Highlands. Horde CAN technically go there (they'd need to physically travel there, no portal for them at this stage), but if you have Warmode off, they can't do anything to you. There's no forced PVP-flagging.

You can speak with the Bronze Dragon in the zone to "go back in time" and view the old version.

Horde then need to turn in items to trigger the Battle phase.

Battle phase - After Horde finish their turn-ins, they can queue up for a 20-man scenario to fight over Arathi Highland. Alliance do not see or experience any effects from their Battle phase.

This part has nothing to do with battle pets, and is mainly centered on PVE and gear. Again, no PVP, just fighting NPCs and completing objectives.

A period of time passes, Horde "win" and gain control. They enter their Controlled phase. A portal opens up for them, they can port directly to Arathi, fight rares, etc. It's then the Alliance's turn to turn in items and wait for their Battle phase. The process repeats itself forever (or until Blizzard decides to turn it off. :P)

Thank you, that explains a lot! If I wanted to try one how do I join one that's in "the Controlled period", and how will I know that its in that "controlled period" phase time?
10/18/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Peapöd
If I wanted to try one how do I join one that's in "the Controlled period", and how will I know that its in that "controlled period" phase time?

For the status of the Warfront, you can check Wowhead's front page. "Arathi Highliands - Alliance Attacking, 1 day" is what's up right now, for example.

Alternatively, you can check in-game. The area near the boat in the main faction hubs is where all the Arathi Warfront stuff is. Note: Only max level toons can see and participate in Warfront stuff.

For Alliance, if you jump on the boat, head up toward the NPC near the steering wheel, jump over the boat's edge directly behind her, that's the area where you'll find the turn-in quests, portal, and table you can queue from.

For Horde, exit the boat, turn right, follow the path and go straight, make the first right you can (before the stairs), and the Arathi Warfront area is on your right.

If you see a portal up, that means your faction has control and is in the Controlled phase. If you see blue exclamation marks everywhere, that means it's your faction's turn to turn in supplies. If you see neither, it's likely it's your faction's Battle stage.
Thank you, that explains a lot! If I wanted to try one how do I join one that's in "the Controlled period", and how will I know that its in that "controlled period" phase time?

Check the war table. It's on the wharf directly behind the ship with the mission table Alliance side. There should be a couple of more days to queue for the battle scenario, think an AV type battle ground but against NPCs not players.

After that there'll be about six days where the Alliance is in control, then you'll be able to use a portal to Arathi and kill the rares, there are 29 in total and they can drop the pets, toys and mounts. All that can be done without being flagged.
10/18/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Loncis

Who says you can't collect both? The player by the name of Ryken on Stormrage has them both.

https://www.warcraftpets.com/account/compare/?user=Ryken

When I use that link & compare the pets he has against the pets I'm missing, he has BOTH Honor 400 pets. I'd imagine he's a pvp-a-holic & grinded honor back in Legion on each faction that carried over to BfA. But to say you can't collect both is far from the truth.

Screenshot of what it looks like if you don't have a Warcraft Pets account to compare: https://imgur.com/5sCZIVe
I know there were some in the past where you reached the honor level, got one side reward for free, and then the other side was available on a vendor. Does anyone know if maybe the crabs are that way too?
10/18/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Grarn

Check the war table. It's on the wharf directly behind the ship with the mission table Alliance side. There should be a couple of more days to queue for the battle scenario, think an AV type battle ground but against NPCs not players.

After that there'll be about six days where the Alliance is in control, then you'll be able to use a portal to Arathi and kill the rares, there are 29 in total and they can drop the pets, toys and mounts. All that can be done without being flagged.

Perfect! Thank you. I just did my first warfront battle. I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing so I just followed people and picked up supplies and did the quest. I even won a Lil' Donkey mount! (no pets thou) It was rather fun, and I'm glad I didn't have to kill players.
10/19/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Rhosaleen
I know there were some in the past where you reached the honor level, got one side reward for free, and then the other side was available on a vendor. Does anyone know if maybe the crabs are that way too?

Yes, if you get honor 400 you get the pet on the faction you are on. Then you can log in the other faction and buy the other pet there off the vendor in your pvp area in your capital. (Hook Point/Mugambala)