should i make a sham for 8.1?

Shaman
finally got mag'har orcs unlocked and was thinking of either making either a sham or monk with the race but remembered that the sham class in general wasn't doing well right now. will 8.1 fix make them usable or should i just make a monk with the race
Same boat! :S
Hell yeah you really can’t beat the Mag’har Shaman race/class combo. Literally top tier.
Now we may not be the most competitive at the moment but Shamans have always struggled at launch. Your Shaman alt may not be top pick for cutting edge content but I don’t think you should be worried about something like that.
8.1 brings some much needed love to Elemental but it’s too early to tell how competitive the tuning is yet.
As for deciding whether or not to level a monk, well if you’re doing it just for the heritage set and in a rush the monk is much quicker to level since you can bank on bonus experience from the temple’s daily.
As someone that has mained Shamans since launch I still recommend them just for the lore/class fantasy alone. It’s your alt, don’t worry about the finer details and just have fun, who knows 8.1 may make them more powerful.
10/26/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Alyuzandro

As someone that has maimed Shamans since launch

How appropriate of a typo. Who hasn't been maiming Shaman since launch?
I really depends how competitive you want to be. If you want to be competitive no. Right now we are poor in every game type except Arena. Now, we're serviceable in all those game types, but if you are pugging its going to be frustrating and you won't do as well as other classes. If you have a crew you run with its fine, but pugging I'd stay a long way away.

There are changes but they're not guarantees. Shaman have had sweeping changes in the past and it barely moved the needle. FWIW, I like the Resto and Ele changes, but I'm not sold on them.
10/26/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Sanies
finally got mag'har orcs unlocked and was thinking of either making either a sham or monk with the race but remembered that the sham class in general wasn't doing well right now. will 8.1 fix make them usable or should i just make a monk with the race

Don't do it to yourself. Shaman is so clunky, and lackluster. So far, every change they've done even for ele has been horrible. Just a lack of pure imagination, or care. It baffles me why people are getting paid so much to do so very little.

Honestly tho, level a monk, enjoy it. It's a great class with amazing sustain and the absolute best burst in the game. When you kill someone which you do fast, they heal you. They scale VERY well with gear. the rotation/s feel solid.

Don't do what we did and make a shaman, it's a class that will never be fixed. The truth of the shaman class is everything needs to be scrapped and redone like many other classes have had. We're still the same class from BC or wotlk, but a whacky crap version that's all over the place with bandaids.

They won't fix it, and they won't change us anytime, ANYTIME soon.
Save yourself, save YOURSELF!!
no make a Hunter.
Shaman are doing just fine, take the time to learn the class. Read icy-veins and things like that. You will only notice the slight disadvantage if you are mythic raiding and a super hardcore player. Everything else they are fine (yes including M+).
10/29/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Elythis
Shaman are doing just fine, take the time to learn the class. Read icy-veins and things like that. You will only notice the slight disadvantage if you are mythic raiding and a super hardcore player. Everything else they are fine (yes including M+).

Shaman are not fine OP, don't take some random Hunter's opinion for granted. Especially one who is telling you to read icy veins. Check out Storm, Earth and Lava for elemental guides if you're interested in that spec.

But honestly, save yourself the frustration and don't roll Shaman, unless you enjoy being the underdog.
One thing I will say is shaman has never felt like a top tier spec outside a brief period in legion,but it was before legion a unique spec. That feels is gone now, I dont think any legit shaman gives a damn about being top of the meters but we do care about fun factor/class idenity and to be honest that went straight to !@#$.
10/29/2018 07:57 AMPosted by Leviath
10/29/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Elythis

Shaman are not fine OP, don't take some random Hunter's opinion for granted. Especially one who is telling you to read icy veins. Check out Storm, Earth and Lava for elemental guides if you're interested in that spec.

But honestly, save yourself the frustration and don't roll Shaman, unless you enjoy being the underdog.

You're right take the shaman whos 8/8 LFR and no arena experience opinion. You sir, are the random one. Shaman are fine, likely an L2P issue with you. Yes I said icy veins and things like that, lots of good resources. Best of luck
10/29/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Elythis
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You're right take the shaman whos 8/8 LFR and no arena experience opinion. You sir, are the random one. Shaman are fine, likely an L2P issue with you. Yes I said icy veins and things like that, lots of good resources. Best of luck

Nice! Stalking my armory to insult me! Is your ego so fragile you resort to this just because I called you a random hunter?

Looking at your armory I'm actually further in progression than you are (8/8 normal cause I'm a filthy casual) since its pretty damn obvious you bought your heroic Uldir clear. 0/8 normal? Lol. You have zero play experience as a shaman and you think you know you're !@#$? Gtfo. Why don't you actually L2P our class before you actually comment about the state of the class.

LITERALLY ANY shaman will tell you it's frustrating to play our class and just generally disappointing and disheartening when blizzard doesn't listen to our concerns.
Lmao dude can you read I have a 120 shaman. Someone is SUPER upset, and it was not a purchased clear but thanks for your concern. Normal was cleared on my monk before I switched back to hunter. LITERALLY Any class can have some complaints, you just happen to cry louder.

Only reason I stopped playing my shaman is because they cant get invited to groups because of people like you in the forums spreading the belief that they cant keep up in M+ which they most certainly can. So yes, L2P 4 U
10/26/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Sanies

elemental shaman, and enhance is VERY fun. They have a very high skill cap.

Damage -
Our damage is much lower than others in terms of single target outside of burst which is still lower than others.

However once geared, you can be top damage given certain situations, which then Allows the use Of your aoe abilities, such as Earthquake, and stormkeeper.

Our AOE damage is quite good, and with the talent to allow a 25% change to give a free earth quake which can happen 4 times in a row, will shoot you to the top easily.

Question -
Questing is quite hard at times. you don't even get chain lightening for a while, and it's cast is a little longer than for the liking. Often things will die just as you're casting lava burst with such a long cast time, while other classes have some instants, or abilities (cooldowns) that allow some quick damage. we have ascedence but it's insanely and pretentiously long cooldown gives a lackluster what feels to be 8 seconds of unimpressive lava bursts that are still under a long cast.
You also have no passive heals, at all. For enhance you will need to spend the resources for damage on your heals instead. As ele you have to manually heal, every time. They feel good at low levels but at 120 are quite weak, and you go OOm after only 4-6 heals.

But the good things is you have some of the best looking abilities in the game, the most flashy anyway. You're a sith lord, and you can be of great help to a group with earthbind aoe slow allowing tanks, and dps to get away allowing the healer to heal, and the tank to be healed. All the while you're placing down a preemptive stun totem so once they're far enough away from the earthbind they are then stunned, which then you can thunder storm them back again, which is followed by another short aoe slow lol.

Overall, we are VERY fun if you dont mind healing yourself after each pull.
once geared you can use stormkeeper and just blow up things usually.
Our damage is actually good once geared, and even once just around 340 can do very good damage when played right. I held around 8-12 k single target in 337, which I still have now in many fights. I usually out damage 370-380 geared people in aoe with the mouse over earthquake macro. i can write a very helpful guide if anyone wants it on how to preemptively prepare for a burst window, or opener.
I'm not some mythic, or normal raider. I'm just a guy that knows what he's doing is getting good results number wise.

We do great damage, the main problem is people don't know that. they think we're all trash, and do no damage. But they are fools, they really have no idea who they are denying when they hit "decline" for me. which btw is 99% of the time for shamans, even resto lol. People don't want to give you a chance, and likely into patch 8.1 if we are REALLY GOOD it will still take the masses time to know, and learn that we are worth taking.

if you can manage to do the impossible and find an active mythic+ guild, then ELE is the most fun class in this game. And with time, patients, and skill you'll not only be rewarded with fame due to you playing the minority as people say "Look at that shaman, holy !@#$, what a god" but also by seeing how far you've come to prove those morons who hit decline as soon as they see"ele" wrong.
10/29/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Elythis
Lmao dude can you read I have a 120 shaman. Someone is SUPER upset, and it was not a purchased clear but thanks for your concern. Normal was cleared on my monk before I switched back to hunter. LITERALLY Any class can have some complaints, you just happen to cry louder.

Only reason I stopped playing my shaman is because they cant get invited to groups because of people like you in the forums spreading the belief that they cant keep up in M+ which they most certainly can. So yes, L2P 4 U

You never said you had a shaman. Post on your shaman then, lets see it.

If you quit your shaman then how do you know they're fine? Your proving my point idiot.
Just made a troll shaman, and I'm currently loving it, the haste racial is pretty nice as well for what it is
10/29/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Leviath
10/29/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Elythis

You never said you had a shaman. Post on your shaman then, lets see it.

If you quit your shaman then how do you know they're fine? Your proving my point idiot.

You literally cannot read. I said above why I quit it. You need to get gud at this game and get gud at reading bud.

"Only reason I stopped playing my shaman is because they cant get invited to groups because of people like you in the forums spreading the belief that they cant keep up in M+ which they most certainly can. So yes, L2P 4 U"

Does posting that the 2nd time get it across to you little guy?
no roll another or stick to your dk.
Re-rolling Shaman is a very safe bet if you're going Elemental or Resto. Shaman is already usable, they're currently between 8-10% away from top tier DPS/heals on any given fight except for Fetid Devourer for fight duration and damage multiplier reasons and MOTHER for mechanics reasons. Already if you aren't a Mythic raider there is absolutely nothing preventing you from being the top DPS in your guild since you'll pick up far more than 8-10% with proper itemization, rotation, and execution compared to the average heroic raider.

The 8.1 buffs are going to put Elemental at slightly above median which places them as a top-tier option for RDPS, most of whom are currently low-tier in aggregate and aren't getting buffs. Just in terms of baseline scaling, Elemental is having its single target buffed by around 3% and Earthquake by 15%. Then you consider the new talent tree where the new level 90 tier has been buffed enormously including a more than double buff to Icefury. The Icefury buffs alone put Elemental shaman on-par with every other ranged class for mobility excepting Beastmaster. The other tiers are also getting large buffs, especially single target DPS buffs in the level 100 tier. All-in-all I'm expecting Elemental to be an extremely attractive choice for any raider after 8.1.

Resto is a bit more up in the air, but they're getting flatly buffed by a much larger margin than the meager buffs other healers are getting. People are making a lot of noise about Holy paladins, but honestly if you look at their kit they have huge positional and range requirements no other healer deals with so I don't imagine them breaking the meta. They're too restricted outside of tank healing.

The buffs to Resto's stacked healing are gamebreaking. The new High Tides talent coupled with the 33% buff to baseline Chain Heal healing are going to make Shamans the undisputed gods of stacked heals once again. Seriously, if it goes live as posted on WoWHead you spend 1% of base mana and get your next 2 chain heals that deal 140% SP to 4 targets for an instant 560% SP heal buffable by Unleash Life to 756%.

Seriously, look at the competition to that: Wild Growth, Holy Prism, Light of Dawn, Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing, Vivify, nothing comes even CLOSE to that level of HPS and it doesn't have a CD. It's 75% of a Holy Word: Sanctify and that has a 60 second cooldown. Though there haven't been any changes to spread healing, which is the weakness of the spec currently that is most impacting viability, hence why they're up in the air.
10/29/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Elythis
10/29/2018 07:57 AMPosted by Leviath

Shaman are not fine for competitive content. We're decent enough and I actually think Ele has fairly strong stationary dps, but for fights with any kind of movement, we really struggle. There is hardly a situation where you wouldn't rather have a mage. For Enhance, especially with so many Uldir fights being so punishing for melee, you'd always rather have a different melee spec. If you want to clear heroic Uldir, shaman are fine, but if you're pushing content, there is 0 reason to bring a shaman over another class for the majority of mythic Uldir.