*sigh* what a slap in the face...

Pet Battles
After running at least 100 or more heroic Island Expeditions, I'm down to needed 3 more of the bop pets (not including Cold Surfrunner).

Tonight I get a second *cringe* Laughing Stoneskin. Not deleting or learning it. Maybe we'll get lucky & it'll be cageable in a future patch.
I know the feeling, I'm down to needing the fire and water ones. Have two each of the earth and air ones.
I don't have any of them yet. >.<

Then again, I don't have ANYTHING from Islands except Dubloons.
10/27/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Amaer
I don't have any of them yet. >.<

Then again, I don't have ANYTHING from Islands except Dubloons.

Same here. I've run about 40 of them and haven't gotten any toys, pets, or mounts. Just a few quests for more Azerite (yay....)
Do Normal Expeditions, not Heroic. The only time you should do heroic is when you're doing your weekly expeditions to get the weekly quest done faster, or when you want the achievements. (same with Mythic) Normal, Heroic, and Mythic have the same drop rate.

----- Anyway- COMING FROM SOMEONE WITH DUPLICATES OF EACH ELEMENTAL IN THEIR BANK

For Fire - Farm it when Molten Cay is Up. 25% chance of Fire Elementals being the "main" enemy in the center of the island (where the Volcano is) - (There can be Elementals, Scorpions, Molten Hounds, or Basilisks)

For Earth - Farm it when Verdant Wilds is Up. There's like a 60-70% chance that like 1/4th of the Island will be infested with Earth Elementals.

For Wind - Farm it when Dread Chain is Up. 90% chance for Air Elementals to spawn on one of the coasts of the island. I wanna say Northwestern? It's hard to keep directions in order. When you figure out which coast it is, it's always that coast, so just gangway for that coast anytime Dread Chain pops up. Like 10% of the time something rare spawns in place of them (like Yetis), but it's normally Air Elementals.

For Water - Farm It When Whispering Reef is Up. They have what seems to be like a 50% chance to spawn as one of the main enemies on the beach. Out of the four elementals, they are the rarest though. They also rarely spawn on the coast on almost any island, but in very small groups of Pandaren Water Spirits.

Then of course, theres the chance of the Elemental Invasions.
---

For the other 2 Non-Cageable (Captain Nibs and Kunchong), don't stress about them - they are cageable in 8.1 (according to Quintessence at least). Only the elementals remain uncageable. I personally have 2 Nibs and 2 Kunchongs to cage in 8.1, so there are probably others ready to sell them too.

But if you DO want to stress about them, for Nibs - just murder every Pirate you see. Kunchong- Just murder every Mantid you see.
Just a minor update, still no water or fire elemental pets but now up to 4 air elemental pets. Wish I could cage them and trade them to friends.
Whispering Reef is up this week, so make sure you're running islands this week to try to get into that. Water Elementals are rather common on that island. (They're on the beach when they're up. I've found it's like 40ish% chance of Elementals, 40%ish chance of Crocolisk, 20%ish chance of Hydra)
11/02/2018 05:10 AMPosted by Maizou
Do Normal Expeditions, not Heroic. The only time you should do heroic is when you're doing your weekly expeditions to get the weekly quest done faster, or when you want the achievements. (same with Mythic) Normal, Heroic, and Mythic have the same drop rate.

Thank you for the advice & info! I wish I had known this sooner! I assumed the higher the difficulty the more the rares, elementals & portals spawned.
Yep. You'd think higher difficulties would have better drops, but nope. :/ It was a disappointment.

Also, Dread Chain is also up this week for people who still need the Zephyr.

So the next 2 days are good days to hunt the Water and Wind pets. :)

The third island is Un'Gol Ruins, which this week is Pygmies, which can drop a toy, which is good for people still farming toys to get Brutus.
While Mazizou's opinion of farming only normals may work for many people I have found running heroics to be the better option. I've received so many items in the last couple weeks compared to the 100+ I've run in normal. I'm down to just the coldlight surfrunner for pets. As long as you can carry and kill everything by yourself the time spent in each instance is relatively low.
11/04/2018 07:37 PMPosted by Reconbravo
While Mazizou's opinion of farming only normals may work for many people I have found running heroics to be the better option. I've received so many items in the last couple weeks compared to the 100+ I've run in normal. I'm down to just the coldlight surfrunner for pets. As long as you can carry and kill everything by yourself the time spent in each instance is relatively low.

Alas, RNG is RNG. This week I've only had a quest item that my Island friends specifically helped me farm, and it still took like 5 days to get to drop. (Icetusk Cloak)

Last week I had like 20 items drop within the first like 25 Islands we did, and like the first 7 or 8 islands I had 5 pets drop. (I even linked them in the warcraftpets community as it happened, lol) Still trying to sell 2 of the items. Lol. Island Item selling is not fun. D:

They have the same drop rate, but for people who are in a group of 3 people who are like, ilvl360+, it might be faster to farm heroics, due to the faster drop rate of Azerite from the rares and such.

However, it's also preferable to farm Normal because there's a 100% guarantee of an invasion in a Normal. Whereas it's possible to finish a Heroic before an invasion starts. Whenever I do heroics on my alts for quicker finishing of the weekly quest, I finish them before an invasion happens like every other expedition.

Invasions trigger when a certain treshold of Azerite is reached. In Normal, it's easy for the Horde to help you reach that threshold before you hit like 4,000, giving you plenty of time to farm the rares in the invasion as well. But in heroics, half the time you won't trigger an invasion until you have only like 500 Azerite left to farm or such, either that, or it won't trigger at all.

That's why a lot of the invasion-only transmog gear is so expensive on the auction house. Because it can only really drop for people who farm normals or people leveling through expeditions, as people who do heroics/mythics rarely see them.
The biggest slap in the face in island expeditions is that it won't let me block the sargeras server.
I wouldn't be so certain about all that. I get an invasion / portal nearly every single Heroic I do / have done. It's all in how you go about the process of completing the scenario.

I keep seeing post after post of people saying they have run countless Island expedition and only received a few items. It's such nonsense. Even at the very start of the expansion when drops were the worst I was getting far more than a few items over varied runs. Those people need to change how they play the scenario. I keep getting criticized for commenting on those posts.

( please read in context so I don't get yelled at for people interpreting some haven't received very many items, as I know many haven't.)
I literally do 10-12 heroic expeditions a week on my alts, and I rarely see invasions during them.

And again, as someone who has run over 1,000 expeditions, I can very safely say that I have gone weeks without getting items before, only to have the next week drop 20+ items in a row.

I'm someone that purposely does islands in the manner to maximize item drops. I don't do it for speed.

RNG is RNG. It has been well documented that the drop rate is the same in all difficulties. If you're getting better drops in heroic, then by all means, keep doing it. But that's just RNG being nice to you. I'll continue to do them in normal.

Again, I'm not criticizing the way you do islands, if it works for you, you do it. But, the evidence that has been collected by the people like me who run hundreds of islands a week state that the islands have the same drop rate regardless of difficulty. I haven't been running as many islands lately as I used to, because I have most of the drops I was after now and we've just been getting repeat island invaders but at one point I was running 300-500 islands a week. I would pretty much just log in, do pet charm WQs, then do islands.
What I would challenge that I've read dozens of times from various people such as you have stated earlier,

11/05/2018 01:53 AMPosted by Maizou
Because it can only really drop for people who farm normals or people leveling through expeditions, as people who do heroics/mythics rarely see them.

Do Normal Expeditions, not Heroic. The only time you should do heroic is when you're doing your weekly expeditions to get the weekly quest done faster, or when you want the achievements. (same with Mythic)

While giving your personal experience viewpoint is a great way to share information deliberately telling other people how and what to do when you aren't 100% correct is not helpful to many people listening to the conversation. While you have indicated quite a lot of accurate information there are many points that, as a person who stopped listening to hearsay years ago in game, just irritates me that you could be causing multiple persons to effectively waste their time.

We have a lot of data currently from many sources that aren't as accurate as many advocates like to make you(*) believe. While I would be happy to discuss those points in depth I'll leave it short for now.
Tossing my 2 cents in here from the month-ish experience with heroic IE's & starting to run on normal this past week.

I've seen portals/elementals/invasions etc. kind of often on heroic, however when it comes to them on normal, the players I've been grouped with usually ignore me when I mention them, or ignore when I tell them to ignore the mobs & hop into the portal. I do go in the portal alone & kill the rare or attempt to. The times I don't get to finish the rare off is when the horde has won by less than 100 points.

A lot of these players see a 120 in the group, get all excited & think they can pull 3/4 of the island, expect us to survive. A lot of the time go off on their own with zero communication.

I haven't gotten many rare quality gear/weapon drops on either difficulty ,one to be exact. LOL I usually get greens & I've gotten those more often in heroic. According to the addon Rarity the items I haven't gotten (mounts/toys/pets) have 214 chances. Compared to most of you I'm sure that's a walk in the park.

All in all, I'm going to give normal a go a week or so longer since I'm missing a lot of the toys. The whole turn off for me doing normal isn't the drops, it's the players. It would be nice if we could queue with only other 120's.

From my personal standpoint, I feel heroics are better since you need 9k points. Needing 6k on normal seems too fast to kill rares since most of the groups I've been in would rather kill groups of mobs & loot the nodes then get out fast.
11/05/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Ziv
It would be nice if we could queue with only other 120's.

You can. Get 2 friends and queue as a group.

If you're a loner ask in trade chat for 120s who want to farm them for pets.
11/05/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Ziv
From my personal standpoint, I feel heroics are better since you need 9k points. Needing 6k on normal seems too fast to kill rares since most of the groups I've been in would rather kill groups of mobs & loot the nodes then get out fast.

I've had the opposite experience. In Heroics, people are either geared to the teeth so we blast through everything before the last stage pops up, and/or they're there just to get the weekly done and don't give a damn about killing things for a chance at loot.

In Normal, yea, it's sometimes annoying. But overall, I've had better experiences in Normal over Heroic in terms of satisfying my own personal objectives. Not all the time ofc, just in general. I've had my share of terrible Normal groups that make me need a loooong break before I start IEs again.

Sub-lvl 120 characters tend to be much stronger due to how scaling works, but they also *want* to kill things for experience (vs. max lvl toons that are geared and just want to get the IE done as quick as possible). For me, the fact we're killing more has led to seemingly higher loot drops from Normal overall.

I also do Normal because I'm essentially handicapping myself with the weekly. You collect less Azerite for the weekly in Normal, which means you simply have to do more of them in order to complete the quest. "More" is always better when it comes to combating RNG. Run more = more chances for loot, even if RNG is still RNG.

I think Normal, Heroic, Mythic, whatever - it's all personal preference. You're still at the mercy of untrackable loot factors and RNG. Experiences will vary. Just keep trying. Queue up Netflix, Youtube, movies, videos, podcasts, and then just keep running IEs with specific goals in mind. If you know a certain Island has a higher chance for X mob that possibly relates to Y pet, go into it with that in mind.

If you're looking to collect the pets, the only "wrong way" to do IEs is to NOT do them at all. Unless you have a ton of gold you don't mind parting with. But even then, there are a few BoP battle pets that can't be caged/purchased so... there's that.

I just HOPE that the upcoming dubloon vendor has more than just 2 new pets for sale. PLEASE, for the love of Azeroth and battle pets, stick all IE pets on there and allow us to "unlock" them, similar to the BFA vendor pets. We'll still have to figure out and work toward something, we'll have to grind and collect currency, but it will be tangible progress. Give back some agency to the players.
You definitely should not queue normal if you're going solo and trying for items.

In normal, you're going to encounter levelers, and all they want to do is finish as fast as possible. This means they will do things like mine azerite, loot chests, and kill the Azerite elementals, which do nothing to help with item drop rate.

If you're queueing random, then you definitely want to go heroic, although you'll still encounter people trying to finish ASAP, it's a little less common.

That said, as Quin said, in Heroics, people will either blast through before the invasions (As I said previously) or they don't care enough to actually kill things, and will mine, chests, etc. and do things that don't increase drop rates, like people who just want it done ASAP do.

So it's more of a pick your poison deal. On top of the fact it's easier to trigger the invasions without being close to Azerite cap, on Normal, I can pull like 3 elites and not die. It's just easier to do things on Normal. Plus, you can have like the entire Horde team hitting you on Normal and not really notice it.

For Normal, It's better to queue with friends, or find a group via the group finder > island expeditions for people specifically looking for item farming groups. There's even discords and in-game communities made especially for it (last I heard there was like 2 or 3 communities at member cap), but I don't have links to them. If you ask in the IE forum you can probably get a link rather easy: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814322/

There's even people in the warcraftpets discord that look for people for pet farming on islands on occasion.

I have a friend I queue with every week and she has another friend she brings along and we just spam islands for a few hours every night when we can. I've missed it the past few nights though. It's actually really easy to find people that enjoy item farming for island expeditions. It's a great way to make gold without the monotonous feeling of farming herbs/ore/etc. It's not as profitable or reliable as that, but it's not as boring.

11/06/2018 12:47 AMPosted by Maizou
You definitely should not queue normal if you're going solo and trying for items.

I'm confused.