*sigh* what a slap in the face...

Pet Battles
Maizou is saying that when you solo-queue normal you're going to end up with Sub 120s who are more interested in finishing the run in 3 minutes then getting actual drops.
11/06/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Zunde
Maizou is saying that when you solo-queue normal you're going to end up with Sub 120s who are more interested in finishing the run in 3 minutes then getting actual drops.

I've had the opposite experience. Most non-lvl 120s that I've ended up in a group with have wanted to kill EVERYTHING for the experience. Sometimes that helps, and sometimes it backfires (killing mobs that don't relate to loot).

So I really, really think it's up to individual preference. Whatever you feel is most efficient, do it. (If Blizzard comes out one day clarifying higher difficulty = higher chance for loot, then disregard this LOL, but until then...*shrug*)

Like doing Normals? Do them. Prefer Heroic? Do those instead. Try both. Just run IEs CONSTANTLY, but make sure you have a plan going in ('this island has higher chance to spawn *insert mob here* and I need the pet related to it, so kill all *insert mob here*'). Since people's gear, preferences, and play style vary, if you think your way is most efficient, it probably is for you. Just keep trying.
This week, Kobolds are available in Skittering Hollow, which also drop a toy like Pygmies did last week.

So if you're still scrounging up toys for Brutus, go farm some Kobolds. I was lucky this week and got it in my 3rd Skittering Hollow. (Whereas it took me like, god, 25-30 Pygmy Islands to get the Pygmy Toy?)

Plus it's a neat toy that puts a candle on your head for 30 minutes.

Also, this week, Verdant Wilds and Molten Cay are up, so make sure you go farm those Earth Elemental and Fire Elemental Pets.
I ended up with like fifteen Kobold toys during the last Kobold week.

The Pygmy toy took me two weeks of pygmys spawning to get.
10/27/2018 12:10 AMPosted by Ziv
After running at least 100 or more heroic Island Expeditions, I'm down to needed 3 more of the bop pets (not including Cold Surfrunner).

Tonight I get a second *cringe* Laughing Stoneskin. Not deleting or learning it. Maybe we'll get lucky & it'll be cageable in a future patch.

only 100 i have done over 1000+++ and i only got like 8 different ones....................
https://www.wowhead.com/news=288498/latam-content-creators-interview-with-jeremy-feasel-and-paul-watkins-flying-in-n

You have a higher chance of obtaining Island Expedition loot by playing on higher difficulties.

This is probably really important, because I read on some forum somewhere, a poster saying all difficulties have the same chance. No, they do not.
Yes, they said that. However, I stand by my statement.

Actual evidence from players > Developer Statements to me. Especially since developers have been wrong many times in the past. (Including most recently, the Sporonite Bomb in Stormsong. After being bugged on twitter about it, they claimed they confirmed it was in the game and working as intended, then 3 weeks later they hotfixed it in and even added it in the hotfix notes.)

If I had to guess, there could easily be a bug in the drop rate code that somehow normalized the drop rate for all difficulties.

Until we get evidence that higher drop rates for higher difficulties, I'll continue farming normal. As it stands, with hundreds of thousands of runs in the island farming community of things being tracked, the drop rate is the same. If there is a difference, it's so minor it's not noticeable. Technically speaking, they could make the drop rate .01% better per difficulty and it would technically be higher, but you would not notice a difference.
Well, that's far from the first time they've said it, so if the dev team is wrong, they've been wrong since it started.
Here's something that dropped my jaw. Tonight was in a losing game (not by much) I'm expecting the usual Azerite. I got Giggling Flame & Hydraxian Armbands. I don't recall ever getting anything besides Azerite on a loss (and high repair bills).
11/07/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Vertigineux
https://www.wowhead.com/news=288498/latam-content-creators-interview-with-jeremy-feasel-and-paul-watkins-flying-in-n

You have a higher chance of obtaining Island Expedition loot by playing on higher difficulties.

This is probably really important, because I read on some forum somewhere, a poster saying all difficulties have the same chance. No, they do not.

I'm really glad and grateful that developers confirmed this. It's good to know specifics behind how their system is intended to work.

Unfortunately, I think that although higher difficulties are supposed to have a higher chance for more loot, some players are not experiencing this.

Why? Normals are usually fast and "easier" than Heroics, meaning most can run a lot more Normals than Heroics in the same amount of time.

What combats RNG (especially layered RNG) best? Simply more. Doing more. Larger numbers, more chances. Players can spend the same amount of time doing Heroics, but fewer, and fewer means RNG will probably seem less in your favor. Because this system relies very heavily on RNG and there's no tangible way to track anything, player perception is very important and impacts the overall experience.

Also, Heroics are generally "harder" in that things hurt more, and you can't pull/attack as much. Undergeared? Better be ready to actually pay attention to mechanics. This can slow progress down. In Normals, a lot of mobs and creatures simply melt. Didn't dodge that large AOE? You'll usually be ok as long as you dodge the next or have some sort of passive/small heal.

Again, experiences will vary. The above may not be true for everyone.

I think the above is the biggest problem with this loot system though. Unless Heroic and Mythic receive a significantly noticeable buff (so much so, that it would be an unquestionable and undeniable difference from Normals), many players will still be under the impression that loot drop is the same/similar for all difficulties.
Thought this was interesting - Copy / Paste from WoWhead:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288498/latam-content-creators-interview-with-jeremy-feasel-and-paul-watkins-flying-in-n?webhook/latam-content-creators-interview-with-jeremy-feasel-and-paul-watkins-flying-in-n

LATAM Content Creators Interview with Jeremy Feasel and Paul Watkins:

Highlights:

Full Interview:

One problem I see in Island Expeditions is the lack of perception on rewards. How do you plan to fix that, so that people might want to do harder difficulties?

PW: So one of the little known things that I can spell for you here, is that on higher level difficulties, you do have a higher channce of obtaining loot from different creatures. Although, I don't show up to your house with the game and explain that to you, and it is a deficit of the system, the obsfucation of how difficult it is to tell what drops loot and how difficult it is to get the loot, especially with all those mounts and pets and transmogs, and all this awesome. It ended up being an experiment for us that did not really work out like we wanted it to. We're looking at ways to better target loot in the future and get what you want from the system.
Warcraft Secrets is still suggesting Normal Islands due to time investment compared to rewards - i.e. you can probably finish 2 to 3 normal islands in the time it takes to run 1 mythic and the mythic rewards are likely not 2 to 3 times more than normal islands.

https://warcraft-secrets.com/guides/island-expeditions-rewards#Choosing_the_Difficulty
I also find that you don't get invasions in heroic until it's almost over whereas in normal you proc them at about 4k azerite in, giving you plenty of leeway to get most of the invasion rares/chests
11/08/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Saaka
I also find that you don't get invasions in heroic until it's almost over whereas in normal you proc them at about 4k azerite in, giving you plenty of leeway to get most of the invasion rares/chests

Yea, we discussed that earlier, and someone rebutted that I was lying. Lol.

I did 5 heroics tonight to get my Horde her weekly quest, and I got 2 invasions.

One started at 250 Azerite until we finished and the other one started when we were 100 Azerite away and the Horde were 200 Azerite away. Did not get any items from this.

Invasions just aren't viable in Heroic/Mythic. :/

They're only really viable and reliable in Normals.

Farmed afew normals (about 8?) afterward on Maizou and came out with a Tinder Pup, a Scuttle, and a Miststalker Chestpiece, along with 2 Rep Tokens.

So either their higher drop rate thing is severely bugged, or they need to fix the invasions in higher difficulties to trigger earlier to help make it a bit more balanced.
As somebody who has done a lot of invasions in the normal and heroic difficulty i can chime in that Maizou is correct

In heroic invasions would often occur when we were 1000 or 1500 Azerite away from completing the island leaving very little chance to kill the invasion rare spawns