Wow classic, and the future rp

Wyrmrest Accord
Even if there isn't a dedicated RP server, I will be remaking my original Druid and RPing on her.

I'm most likely dropping Live, as I'm not in any way interested in how the story is shaping up, so Classic will be where my main is =)
I think Classic is going to be a really unique opportunity to RP out the histories of some characters and organizations during a time period which would otherwise go unexplored due to them not having been created yet or just not played that much back in the day. I know for certain that my guild will be doing just that, and I intend to flesh out the different battles and stories Shaureyne went through in that tumultuous era of nelves vs orcs.

I understand the appeal for that kind of thing isn't huge, but it is definitely beneficial to overall story, which is why I hope there's at least one designated RP server. Who doesn't love flashbacks?
There will def be some popularity, there is no question about it. As for where people will go? We just won't know until we get there. I for one will def be rerolling my Shaman and Hunters, strolls down memory lane ahead.
I plan to get a version of my Paladin to Level 60 and RP his past in Classic.
11/05/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Geranguas
11/05/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Dineran

You make it sound like you're expecting a large chunk of the RP community to just pack up and move to Classic...

Depending on what is available for servers over there, there very well could be. BFA isn't exactly in the best of spots right now, after all.

Most players weren't into WoW from the get go. If they complain about stuff like the difficulty in finding decent groups, grinding, class imbalances, races they want to play, limited transmogs, lack of flying, lack of content and etc now- why would they subject themselves to that in WoW Classic?

The draw for classic is going to have to be the community and like any community, its going to both attract and put off newer players. And considering how relatively unforgiving pre BC was and how well WoW vets remember all the quirks and idiosyncrasies, I forsee a game/community less congenial to all but the more tenacious new players.

Although I very much look forward to being proven wrong!
I'm mainly interested in doing it with friends, for the greater rp community I want to be moving forward with my stories, not looking to the past.
11/05/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Serph
I'm excited for Ironforge to return as the main Ally hub

I keep telling people this and they act like I have two heads. I used to love hanging out in the area between AH/bank and running into folks I knew. There was a small crowd in Stormwind when the AH was near that weapon shop, but IF in its heyday was bustling.

The move to Dwarven District in Cata was so disappointing.
11/05/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Geranguas
11/05/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Enrik
I won't be leaving live. I've already RPed in that period of WoW's canon history.

Oh c'mon, we can go back to the good ol' days, when I used to randomly pester you...
Stay over there on your side of Lordamere Lake.

Damn rotter.

OT: In all seriousness, I feel like vanilla WoW was an experience that cannot be replicated. The community was way different back then compared to now and I just don't see it returning to how things were back then.

Part of the fun of vanilla was the mysterious and unexplored nature of it. Now anyone can just go to Wowhead and learn literally everything they need to know out-of-game. They no longer need to spam Barrens chat with 'where is mankirks wife,' which means player interaction isn't required like it used to be.

Vanilla was a good game, in my opinion, because players had to work together and get to know each other to truly experience it. Maybe I'll be wrong about this, but I just don't see that core part of the experience making a return.

Even in this thread, you'll notice a lot of people are just planning to dive into it casually with a circle of people they already know.

Classic is not Vanilla, and I doubt it ever will be.
I look forward to exploring every aspect of Classic gameplay, especially RP.

I hope they have at least one of each type of RP server. I plan to roll on the RP-PVP variety.

My big question is how will us role players treat lore?

Will we RP without acknowledging the story clearifactions and retcons of the present day?

Or will we apply the "cleaned up" lore we have now to how we RP in the Classic world?
11/06/2018 04:18 AMPosted by Tamanii
Most players weren't into WoW from the get go. If they complain about stuff like the difficulty in finding decent groups, grinding, class imbalances, races they want to play, limited transmogs, lack of flying, lack of content and etc now- why would they subject themselves to that in WoW Classic?

Yeah, my thing is I already subjected myself to all that the first time around. For all its faults, Live has a lot of BIG improvements as well. Say what you will about how the story is progressing, gameplay is definitely better overall. Still some old things I miss, but not enough to make me want to go back.

What I would be interested in is seeing the "old world" zones returned to a ( Flight friendly version of ) their original states. I don't like the way most of the old zones were reshaped by Cata.
11/06/2018 05:01 AMPosted by Orayo
I'm mainly interested in doing it with friends, for the greater rp community I want to be moving forward with my stories, not looking to the past.

That's kinda where I'm at, Orayo.

I'd love the idea of an RP server, but it's not really necessary. I intend to explore the stories of some of my toons in the Classic days, being a Cata baby myself. Many of them were around in some capacity, and exploring that with friends will be exciting!

I'm getting quite excited about RPing in the era, if only because I totally missed RP in the Scourge days, and that was some of the most exciting of Blizzard's writing! I'd love to explore that in backstory RP, or even RP with backstory characters.

The trick for me is finding out WHO to RP. Sarestha was a Scarlet Crusader in the classic days, so she wouldn't really be anyone's friend. So I doubt I'll RP her. My Alliance main is Gilnean, so he was lurking behind the Greymane Wall. D:

I did have a Paladin who I used to play on a Private Server, in the Wrath days. I ended up making my worgen instead of him when I got the money to play on live... and so I came up with the story that my Paladin died defending Southshore from the Forsaken attack. I may RP him on Alliance side.... the story of Charles Harrigan before his untimely death!

Hordeside though, I'll need to think about it. Only one of my current Horde toons was Horde during Classic.... and he was a kid. I may have to make someone entirely new, and maybe even bring him or her over to live... Start their backstory early, and lead it into a new RP toon! I'm thinking maybe a Darkspear Troll, but I don't know for sure.

So many choices xD But I'm excited nonetheless!
I plan to, I like the idea of a questing adventurer. Going from town to town, helping people or uncovering mystery. Not a huge fan of playing the Shadow Lord Champion of the Horde and Commander of its army.

I'm tired of being the hero, I want to just be some guy.
11/06/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Julliven
I plan to, I like the idea of a questing adventurer. Going from town to town, helping people or uncovering mystery. Not a huge fan of playing the Shadow Lord Champion of the Horde and Commander of its army.

You know, it's funny. One of the big complaints I often heard about LotRO was the opposite. People were disgruntled with being some scrub in the background of the main story rather than having an active role in it.
11/05/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Iravis
with wow classic coming out and the possibility of having "classic rp" servers back again. what will the rp community choose as there new rp hub? or do you think we will mimic the old rp servers that we use to use?

The Park in Stormwind City
Given that Dawnsky wouldn't be playable for me in Classic I don't know how much I'd actually do, on top of the limiting Tauren races in general and just no real interest in Classic.

I also feel like playing any character I have no in a time period prior would just end up altering their lore so I feel a new character is almost mandatory.
Don't go to The Park, the Moonwell is full of Druid pee.

Also there used to be a lot of birth RP on my old server in that water and I don't think there's a filtration system.
11/06/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Enrik
11/05/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Geranguas

Oh c'mon, we can go back to the good ol' days, when I used to randomly pester you...
Stay over there on your side of Lordamere Lake.

Damn rotter.

OT: In all seriousness, I feel like vanilla WoW was an experience that cannot be replicated. The community was way different back then compared to now and I just don't see it returning to how things were back then.

Part of the fun of vanilla was the mysterious and unexplored nature of it. Now anyone can just go to Wowhead and learn literally everything they need to know out-of-game. They no longer need to spam Barrens chat with 'where is mankirks wife,' which means player interaction isn't required like it used to be.

Vanilla was a good game, in my opinion, because players had to work together and get to know each other to truly experience it. Maybe I'll be wrong about this, but I just don't see that core part of the experience making a return.

Even in this thread, you'll notice a lot of people are just planning to dive into it casually with a circle of people they already know.

Classic is not Vanilla, and I doubt it ever will be.

That's how I feel. I'll go play casually and maybe RP there a bit on a troll hunter, but my old guild won't be there, my old friends won't be there, and the community isn't the same kind as was back in 2004-2008ish. That ship has sailed.

But I do want to see the old world. I'll admit, I've never had as much fun in WoW as I did back in those early years, from Vanilla to WOTLK, when the community was smaller and much tighter, but I also don't have as much time to devote to that style of gaming anymore.
11/06/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Dineran
11/06/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Julliven

You know, it's funny. One of the big complaints I often heard about LotRO was the opposite. People were disgruntled with being some scrub in the background of the main story rather than having an active role in it.

Going to be "that guy" but when everyone is The Ashbringer, what's the point?
As far as RP goes, we will likely see people try to RP classes and races that weren't playable or even in the game until they started rolling out expacs. And that's perfectly fine! I just hope they are prepared for the IC actions of other people and how they'll likely be ostracized (for example, RPing a blood elf in the Horde before they joined it, or RPing as a death knight in Stormwind City before the Ebon Blade branched off into the world).

Just have to have some good communication OOC, and that won't always happen.
11/06/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Brotak
I look forward to exploring every aspect of Classic gameplay, especially RP.

I hope they have at least one of each type of RP server. I plan to roll on the RP-PVP variety.

My big question is how will us role players treat lore?

Will we RP without acknowledging the story clearifactions and retcons of the present day?

Or will we apply the "cleaned up" lore we have now to how we RP in the Classic world?

Keeping track of what got retconned when sounds like a headache and a half, though the good news is that a lot of the big picture stuff in Chronicles is still an unknown mystery in vanilla. Nobody knows wtf a Naaru is, let alone its role in the Church of Holy Light.

On the other hand, canonically Onyxia doesn't get outed and killed until Wrath and I wouldn't pass up an IC "oh no why are there dragons in Stormwind Keep????" Back in the day I used to hang around there just to see Bolvar kick some butt.