Are the Lightbound Lightforged?

Story Forum
Heya. So I was thinking, the Lightbound found on AU Draenor, is there any indication that they’ve undergone the lightforge game process?
11/07/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Sigmar
Heya. So I was thinking, the Lightbound found on AU Draenor, is there any indication that they’ve undergone the lightforge game process?

No, lightforging requires the risks and trials undergone by the lightforged draenei shown in the racial unlock quest. Lightbound is probably what Xe’ra was attempting to do with Illadin. That is, Forcing the light through and into the being, “binding” them to the light.

The name shows the difference really. Forging versus binding have very different thematic connotations.
I believe they use the normal Draenei model, so no.
11/07/2018 10:58 PMPosted by Renat

[/quote]

No Yrel remains normal, but the Lightbound Draenei which is fought has golden eyes so do the ogre which you fight Mag'har scenario.
11/08/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Willfred

No Yrel remains normal, but the Lightbound Draenei which is fought has golden eyes so do the ogre which you fight Mag'har scenario.[/quote]

But the Eyes are not the only defining characteristic of the Lightforged, heck, that is just one. The ritual tattoos are another.
Didn't the lightbound orcs join willingly? or at least some of them did.
11/08/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Granfaloon

Potentially, though the reliability of that is suspect. Neverthless, if they were converted through Xe'ra's process versus the trials, it would make sense they were "lightbound" versus forged.

Edit: Essentially think of Xe'ra's process as a cheap knockoff/cheating way to obtain what the Lightforged are. Atleast that's how it appears in the narrative.
I’m hoping if we ever get Lightbound as antagonist that they are “mass produced” versions of the Lightforged. Not with a deep and unabiding connection to the light forged through self knowledge, but more so just pumped full of Naaru juice.

Maybe Xe’ra felt her alternate death across the fabric of reality and decided that normal Lightforged have too much free will or something
11/08/2018 10:41 PMPosted by Sigmar
I’m hoping if we ever get Lightbound as antagonist that they are “mass produced” versions of the Lightforged. Not with a deep and unabiding connection to the light forged through self knowledge, but more so just pumped full of Naaru juice.

Maybe Xe’ra felt her alternate death across the fabric of reality and decided that normal Lightforged have too much free will or something

That's something we'll see if we ever get to the point where we are so out of enemies we have to fight the heavens as well.

Personally I have never liked the chandeliers since they put down illidan to begin with. But I also love the idea that they are enforcing their will on the universe because the prophecy was broken.
11/08/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Willfred

No Yrel remains normal, but the Lightbound Draenei which is fought has golden eyes so do the ogre which you fight Mag'har scenario.

They pop into a flash bang when an Iron Star runs them over, too, so it goes deeper than pure cosmetics. There doesn’t seem to be much distinction - I didn’t see anything that would indicate that they don’t have their own trial/ritual process either.
I understand the hesitance people have towards a Light based villain, but we really need other villains than Old Gods/Demons these days, and honestly I think the Lightbound are rather interesting because it's comprised of people we already know, which makes them more interesting than an entirely new faction out of nowhere.

I really think they have the potential to be a cool villain faction, especially if they are headed by a vengeful Xe'ra.

No I just did the scenario the other night, and they are all (save Yrel) using the Lightforged model.

I personally like the idea that the Lightbound are different from the Lightforged, and they are more enslaved. Geya'rah made some mention of "forceful conversion".

Overlord Geya'rah says: Their naaru masters compelled them to spread their influence among the orcs. A few converted willingly. Others had the Light forced upon them.

To be honest it kinda sounds like most of the Lightbound orcs were forceful converts rather than the "few willing".
11/08/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Saiphas

Potentially, though the reliability of that is suspect. Neverthless, if they were converted through Xe'ra's process versus the trials, it would make sense they were "lightbound" versus forged.

Edit: Essentially think of Xe'ra's process as a cheap knockoff/cheating way to obtain what the Lightforged are. Atleast that's how it appears in the narrative.

It may also be a reprogramming of the subjects mind may be involved as well. X'era doesn't strike me as being a big supporter of chaotic things like... free will.
They largely use the Lightforged model, but it's possible they are created by a different, but related, process.

Visually, they look the same; as a result of this, my Mag'har hates Lightforged and will try to kill them on sight... but has tried to "rescue" normal draenei from them.
11/09/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Kirango
They largely use the Lightforged model, but it's possible they are created by a different, but related, process.

Visually, they look the same; as a result of this, my Mag'har hates Lightforged and will try to kill them on sight... but has tried to "rescue" normal draenei from them.

Umm are you sure? I don’t remember seeing the tats/markings being the same, only the coloration of the eyes. Also, they process if fundementally different. What illadin goes through is probably the same process used for light binding, it is significantly different both in tone and result than the forging trials.
11/09/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Saiphas
Umm are you sure? I don’t remember seeing the tats/markings being the same, only the coloration of the eyes

I 100% promise you the Draenei Lightbound use the same models as the Lightforged.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=141172/lightbound-battlemage#s

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=141173/lightbound-blademaster#screenshots

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=141170/lightbound-sharpshooter#screenshots

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=141174/exarch-orelis#screenshots:id=784230

They even have the little glowy symbols in front of their foreheads.

Also, they process if fundementally different. What illadin goes through is probably the same process used for light binding, it is significantly different both in tone and result than the forging trials

Well... we actually don't know that the process is different.

Saying that we don't know that they do undergo the same process isn't evidence of anything. The only things we really have to go off of is the name, which might just be a name, and Geya'rah implying some of the orcs were forced which doesn't jive with how we saw it. It's not really enough to say for certain there's anything different.
11/09/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Ximothy
I understand the hesitance people have towards a Light based villain, but we really need other villains than Old Gods/Demons these days, and honestly I think the Lightbound are rather interesting because it's comprised of people we already know, which makes them more interesting than an entirely new faction out of nowhere.

Yea but... can we really consider the Naaru a credible threat if we gain teh power to actually defeat the Old Gods? I mean, Illidian was able to basicly oneshot a Prime Naaru, and if we WIN against the old gods... it's not like the Naaru would be anybody that could seriously test us. Unless there is some higher, unknown power than the fundamental aspect of the universe of light and dark, well... we've become godlike beings ourselves then. I sorta feel like the writers are writing us into a corner where we can't get out of.
11/09/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Kirango

Umm are you sure? I don’t remember seeing the tats/markings being the same, only the coloration of the eyes. Also, they process if fundementally different. What illadin goes through is probably the same process used for light binding, it is significantly different both in tone and result than the forging trials.

None of them that I recall were wearing clothing that exposed the tats, but they used the Lightforged color scheme, and several Lightforged-exclusive customizations(horns and beards). They also had the Lightforged head runes.

Note that I'm not saying it's the same process- I'm inclined to agree with you that it was more like what Xe'ra tried to do with Illidan, and until I see canon otherwise, that some draenei had the process forced on them, as well.

Nonetheless, the end result is cosmetically identical, and likely to be similar in overall impact from any external perspective.
11/09/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Kirango

None of them that I recall were wearing clothing that exposed the tats, but they used the Lightforged color scheme, and several Lightforged-exclusive customizations(horns and beards). They also had the Lightforged head runes.

Note that I'm not saying it's the same process- I'm inclined to agree with you that it was more like what Xe'ra tried to do with Illidan, and until I see canon otherwise, that some draenei had the process forced on them, as well.

Nonetheless, the end result is cosmetically identical, and likely to be similar in overall impact from any external perspective.

Fair, though from an out of universe perspective to me the difference in methodology is important. The light forging process cannot really be forced, playing through the quest line makes that pretty clear. That to me is a huge distinction, one is voluntary consent, the other is noncensual and is akin to brainwashing, as having your perceptions altered by the light is probably the same as being like the forsaken are*
11/09/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Saiphas
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Fair, though from an out of universe perspective to me the difference in methodology is important. The light forging process cannot really be forced, playing through the quest line makes that pretty clear. That to me is a huge distinction, one is voluntary consent, the other is noncensual and is akin to brainwashing, as having your perceptions altered by the light is probably the same as being like the forsaken are*

Fair- I suppose the answer to OP is "They've clearly gone through a process, and while for some of them, this was likely the actual Lightforging process, others probably just weren't their scars hard enough."

Fair- I suppose the answer to OP is "They've clearly gone through a process, and while for some of them, this was likely the actual Lightforging process, others probably just weren't their scars hard enough."

Maybe, the issue for me is the name is significant. Bound versus forged. Meh, call this my forsaken free will hill that i’ll die on :P