Blizzard might add ads to their video games?

General Discussion
11/09/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Morteth
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If they're talking about future content? I'd be willing to believe it. It really does look like they are trying to improve BfA. As to what we received already in the form of BfA? Not so much.

This looks and sounds more like "we might have messed up in some other areas, but we totally didn't mess things up with these games we swear! *looks around nervously*"

I'd also be willing to bet that they're going to just add more ads to what we have already on the launcher and whatnot. Maybe add some to the login screen as well.

I doubt they're referring to future content, as this is from quarter 3 of 2018, probably right when BFA launched

If so, then they are quite frankly in denial. Was I believe the fastest selling expansion if I remember right, but it didn't retain people very well.
11/09/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Everyone calm down.

This has been quoted completely out of context.

This is from the Q & A section of the Q3 2018 investor conference call and is an answer to

" Just for King, can you provide an update on your advertising outlook and maybe what the contribution of ad revenue was in the quarter or year to date? "

Riccardo Zacconi is *not* from Blizzard but from King Entertainment who have been part of Blizzard since November 2015. It's clear Riccardo is talking solely of King Entertainment titles and *not* Blizzard titles.

Thank you for clearing this up.
Everyone calm down.

This is from the Q & A section of the Q3 2018 investor conference call and is an answer to

" Just for King, can you provide an update on your advertising outlook and maybe what the contribution of ad revenue was in the quarter or year to date? "

Riccardo Zacconi is *not* from Blizzard but from King Entertainment who have been part of Blizzard since November 2015. It's clear Riccardo is talking solely of King Entertainment titles and *not* Blizzard titles.

I skipped over this. Somehow. If this is indeed the case, then this is yet another thing people are taking way out of context and treating it like a ticking time bomb.
I would be happy if i could get an ingame Pepsi personally. Especially Alliance side since it matches the colors of the Alliance.
Everyone calm down.

NOOOOO! I was all ready to be outraged! I guess I will just go back to Infowars and read some articles there to get my fix.
11/09/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Motors
I would be happy if i could get an ingame Pepsi personally. Especially Alliance side since it matches the colors of the Alliance.

Think about a 2hd hammer that was a giant Pepsi can on a stick!
11/09/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Kentaurus
I skipped over this. Somehow. If this is indeed the case, then this is yet another thing people are taking way out of context and treating it like a ticking time bomb.

It totally is.

If you pay attention to the transcripts of the conference calls you'll see two recurring themes -

1) Only the top brass of certain divisions talk about stuff from that division and field questions from that division. EG Only Mike Morhaime / J Allen Brack discuss stuff from Blizzard and field questions for their games. Only the Activision guys for the Activision games and only King Entertainment for King Entertainment titles

2) The King Entertainment guys discuss things like in game bookings , free to play aspects , in game payments and advertisement mechanisms ALL the time.
11/09/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Motors

But what if they put in Crystal Pepsi ?
If they did put adds in game while i'm playing that'll be it for me.
Everyone calm down.

It's about King, but it doesn't stop some executive from asking why they're not doing ads on the other platforms.

Highly unlikely Blizzard will ever ad in-game advertisements, maybe ads on load screens, at the most. No product placement like a McDonald's arch above quest givers.
11/09/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Alainel
It's about King, but it doesn't stop some executive from asking why they're not doing ads on the other platforms.

Well, given that King's business model is pretty different from Blizzard's, I doubt they'd bother trying it.

.. except King has been part of ATVI since November 2015.

That's 3 years of King Entertainment being part of Activision Blizzard yet we do not have any in game advertisements or any of the bad free to play mechanics that King Entertainment titles rely on in World of Warcraft.
I pay $15 to avoid this f2p crap. I don't mind the store too much because at least that isn't in my face unless I want to see it. If blizz adds in game ads, I'm out. Don't disturb my gaming.
Oh oh I know!

We can have billboards outside Stormwind. And instead of mages making food and water we can have vending machines outside raid instances.

New store mount can be a Fed-Ex truck.

And when you get a titanforge it'll play a loud BOOM like an explosion, some fireworks will go off and you'll have an announcer thunder,

" WOW THIS TITANFORGE IS BROUGHT TO YOU MT DEW! "

You know what, that actually atleast sounds more exciting than the game atm. lets do it.
11/09/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Supreme
Knowing Activision, Do you think there is a chance this can spill over into Blizzards IPs?

Over the F2P ones? It could happen but considering that those games make money on 'loot boxes' it might be detrimental to do so.

On something like WoW that has a monthly sub attached plus paid expansions? yeah, they would have to budget a 'damage control' PR department just to deal with that.
11/09/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Bluspacecow

.. except King has been part of ATVI since November 2015.

That's 3 years of King Entertainment being part of Activision Blizzard yet we do not have any in game advertisements or any of the bad free to play mechanics that King Entertainment titles rely on in World of Warcraft.

Have you never been in a meeting? It doesn't matter how many years of no, there's always going to be someone, who is just asking the question.

There inevitably will be someone in the meeting between the high level execs across the ATVI, while they're discussing their platforms from a financial perspective. They'll chime in thinking they're asking a good question, about how King's ad revenue compares to Blizzard revenue. The CFO will respond that's a good point, it's something we should look into and ask for some research to be brought back and shared with the group.
They'll chime in thinking they're asking a good question, about how King's ad revenue compared to Blizzard.

Blizzard's ad revenue is probably doing nearly as well -- there are ads present on their esports streams.
Yeah, yeah it's only for King Entertainment, won't affect Blizzard. So what happen when the ads generated a profit, you think that ATV won't put pressure on the Blizzard division to do the same?
Went ahead and downloaded this audio clip with youtube downloader just incase they try to take it down.
11/09/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Shinsmacker
Yeah, yeah it's only for King Entertainment, won't affect Blizzard. So what happen when the ads generated a profit, you think that ATV won't put pressure on the Blizzard division to do the same?

The ads have consistently making profits since 2015. Yet we still don't have any bleed over advertising in World of Warcraft.