Blizzard might add ads to their video games?

General Discussion
This thread only exist because Diablo Immoral have scared a lot of PC gamers, now everything has to be related to Blizzactivision !@#$ting on their playerbase and there is no trust in the company.
11/10/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Sahkan
This thread only exist because Diablo Immoral have scared a lot of PC gamers, now everything has to be related to Blizzactivision !@#$ting on their playerbase and there is no trust in the company.

You are widget to be pushed into the direction of more sales, not a fan to be entertained. That is Activsion 100%. That is what has changed Blizzard.
we are getting aiming down scope in wow, cool

i guess CoD really is influencing wow
Honestly ads are one of the big reasons I don't play phone games. Ads are disgusting and ruin things
Person doesn't understand comment.

Person posts comment online.

A lot of other people who also don't understand comment read it.

Rabble Rabble.

Welcome to the internet.
11/09/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Supreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-M8Fv-3Ko

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4220179-activision-blizzard-atvi-q3-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=1

I couldn't help but imagine the OCP board meeting scene from Robocop as I read that.
I know there's a lot of things being taken out of context here just to stir up drama and have a popular post by the OP

BUT

It's kind of sad that we're at the point where this isn't just being dismissed by people on the forum as craziness. We're at a point now where people that play games think this might actually be possible. I feel like earlier WoW times this post would just never exist, and if someone posted it they'd be criticized.

So, although the OP has spun this quote and interview out of context, it's still telling to see the reaction to this. I don't think there's any denying that faith in Blizzard has plummeted, and playing their games no longer feels like an experience made by gamers for gamers.
11/09/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Supreme
Knowing Activision, Do you think there is a chance this can spill over into Blizzards IPs?
No. Because if you actually LOOK at mobile games, Ads appear in only games that are free on their respective stores. And they either have an unlock you can buy or a subscription to disable them.

I don't even think Candy Crush, King's top game and #3 top grossing game on iTunes has ads in it.
no and if they did I would be out. That is one of the very few things that would spell the final end for my subs.
I think they addressed this before, saying a game like this could not really have ads due to its RP flavor.

Also, what people said about it probably only happening in "free" games.
And/or what a previous said about "mobile games." That is where they'd be likely to happen.

Now Overwatch, that would be another story. They could easily have billboards in that; "McRib, it is BACK!"
Ads only belong a game if they enhance the game themselves, Most devs do not even put in the work to half do it.

None of Blizzard IP really should even think about it, Overwatch probably could get away with it. If they put in the effort to put in Ads that actually fit the game world :P
But they wont !
11/09/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Entitled
Does no one remember the gamer fuel mountain dew stuff? There are mountain dew themed battle pets in the game.

There a difference between an AD and a promotion
11/10/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Kypookins

Now Overwatch, that would be another story. They could easily have billboards in that; "McRib, it is BACK!"

I hate to say this but Overwatch might actually be cool in some kind of over-exaggerated arena tournament map with bright lights and loud music
I can visualize it:

Method downs Zul and are high fiving each other and proceed to go towards Ghuun when suddenly their screen hangs.

A popup face of a peon appears who starts talking:

"Oh did your screen just hang? Pissed off that you can't take the fight to the next boss immediately? Buy our new Kleeeenux Hyper Virus/Bloatware Removal and watch as the bosses down themselves! You'll be out of the raid faster than you say "Me not that kind of Orc". Now work work!"
I remember playing an FPS back in the day, and in the landscape they had billboards around the maps.Eventually, they changed some fake ads on the billboards to real ones, I think they were for Intel or Nvidia or some big hardware maker.

But they were so rare when they started the program, that if you saw them in game, people would announce it in chat so everyone could see it, but it wasn't anything special. After a while, people didn't even notice them and they got ignored just like the fake ads did.
This thread is why we need the dislike button to come back.
Wow. Srsly out of context.

I would say - I have yet to see an inappropriately placed ad in the games I play. I mean, right now there are ads all over Stormwind for this... what is it now... some Darkmoon thing? Maybe a Faire of some sort? Srsly advertising this limited time thing. Not sure what to think of that so maybe it isn't all out of context!?

/adjusts tinfoil hat
11/10/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Astodam
I know there's a lot of things being taken out of context here just to stir up drama and have a popular post by the OP

BUT

It's kind of sad that we're at the point where this isn't just being dismissed by people on the forum as craziness. We're at a point now where people that play games think this might actually be possible. I feel like earlier WoW times this post would just never exist, and if someone posted it they'd be criticized.

So, although the OP has spun this quote and interview out of context, it's still telling to see the reaction to this. I don't think there's any denying that faith in Blizzard has plummeted, and playing their games no longer feels like an experience made by gamers for gamers.

But it is being dismissed by people on the forum as craziness. The ones not dismissing it are just wanting to take snarky shots at Blizzard.

People with an agenda have always taken things out of context, and run with it. That is how GD forums have always been.
OP has stooped to a new forum low.

OP is now IMAGINING things for Blizzard to do, so he can criticize Blizzard for things that he IMAGINES...

Really? You can't find enough things to attack, that they actually do?