Void Elves and Elune?

Wyrmrest Accord
Heya WrA.

So, is there any particular lore for how Ren'dorei are being received by Kaldorei?
What about Ren'dorei being interested in Elune?

And just on the topic of Elune at all, has there ever been any canon for New/Dark Moon Elune aspects or popular RP fanon?

Thinking about making a Void Elf Huntress, kind of want to incorporate some Elune worship into that if it makes any kind of sense at all.

Thanks!
11/11/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Falconfury
Heya WrA.

So, is there any particular lore for how Ren'dorei are being received by Kaldorei?

And just on the topic of Elune at all, has there ever been any canon for New/Dark Moon Elune aspects or popular RP fanon?

Thinking about making a Void Elf Huntress, kind of want to incorporate some Elune worship into that if it makes any kind of sense at all.

Thanks!

I've seen no particular indication yet of how the Kaldorei feel about the Ren'dorei, but perhaps one of these days.

I've also seen nothing to indicate that the Ren'dorei have any interest in Elune. You could play an individual Ren'dorei as taking interest in Elune anyway, depending on how they feel about the Kaldorei, Kaldorei culture, Elune's place in it, etc. It would be unorthodox for a Thalassian elf, to say the least, especially if it was supposed to be a long-standing interest rather than a new one, but unorthodox doesn't have to equal wrong.

Regarding the dark side of Elune, if you don't mind spoilers for patch 8.1, you should look up Tyrande's part in the upcoming Darkshore questlines.
Elune is not a friend of the void, demonstrated at various times throughout lore. Void elves or otherwise void-infused beings will likely find themselves having a very hard time getting involved in that faith or befriending kaldorei that are strongly connected to it.

The Night Warrior is addressed as Elune's "darker half", but as far as we know, it is in no way related to void magic. There is not really anything associated with a "new/dark moon", rather She will enter a solar eclipse to channel this side.

TL;DR being an Elune-worshipping void elf would be an uphill battle for sure. I recommend doing some additional research on Wowpedia to determine if it's something you'd actually want to follow through with!
Honestly the only evidence I can really think of, in terms of Void-Night elf relations is the fact that a number of Void Elven tourists used to hang around Darnassus, chatting to the locals and looking around.

But they're also in all the other cities, soooo...

The game hasn't given us much to go off at all to be honest.

I don't think your idea is illogical, OP. It's certainly unorthodox, but that can be fun!
apparently Tyrandes new elune powers are a bit voidy.

im not sure what to make of it
Thank you for all the input!

I admit that I didn't do much research before posting myself. I wanted to see community knowledge/input about such an idea. I'll hit up WoWpedia later tonight about it.

And yeah, owing to the fact she's Thalassian, it certainly wouldn't be a long standing interest. But if there was some kind of Void connection she thought she could see, I thought maybe the huntress would gain a new interest in the faith.
I have seen Void elves following the Light so I see no reason they could not follow Elune.
11/12/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Zhiifang
I have seen Void elves following the Light so I see no reason they could not follow Elune.

One such one here (though Naaru specifically), but I can explain it in general.

Light Worship wasn't exactly unknown among the High Elves and Blood Elves. Though it did take a dive when Arthas visited, by the time of the Sunwell's restoration it did at least start to make a come back.

Now that said, I don't see why a void elf couldn't become interested in Elune and begin to worship her. I don't really see a problem with that in any group. Issues may arise among her more conventional followers, and how you are treated by others of your race, but really nothing is stopping you nor should there be anything stopping you from it. With some up and coming things with Elune next patch.. I could even see some potential comparisons being drawn along with interest.
I don't see why a Void Elf would worship Elune other than to try and fit in. Which is fine, if that's what you want to RP. I guess for myself and others, there should be a pretty good justification for it before walking up to any practicing kaldorei with your tentacle hair.

After all, they were, by all accounts, blood elves before experimenting with the void. If I recall correctly, the sin'dorei didn't care much for their primitive cousins' belief system and openly mocked them for it.

I'm sure, for many, that viewpoint might have softened after joining the Alliance.
As someone who has maintained a blood-turned-void-elf character with a more progressive mindset, I'll offer my two cents.

Kaldorei will receive ren'dorei differently according to the individual characters. Some people enjoy roleplaying their kaldorei characters in a more traditional, old-school style. Think along the lines of WC3 night elves. Meanwhile, some will play their kaldorei characters in a more progressive style. To me, it's not unlike the way humans operate in the real world. We have people out there who are very regressive, clinging to tradition, conservative belief systems, and even sometimes old hatreds. Likewise we have people out there with incredibly progressive mindsets, discarding traditions in favor of moving forward at all costs no matter how uncomfortable that may be and what risks it may introduce. Most importantly, however, there is an entire spectrum between these two extremes made up of people who walk somewhere in the middle, taking ideas from both sides and forming them into their own unique philosophies.

That all being said, I feel like it's very reasonable to expect that some kaldorei will hate your ren'dorei character. On the other hand, some may welcome them with open arms. Others still will fall somewhere between these two extremes. One example I can think of off the top of my head for how kaldorei and ren'dorei interact in Lore is the way that Shandris Feathermoon and Magister Umbric interact through the Alliance war campaign quests. They don't seem to be best friends or anything, but there doesn't seem to be an immovable wall of hatred stopping them from getting along either. So to me, again, that leaves a ton of room for interpretation and freedom in how a kaldorei player chooses to have their character interact and how ren'dorei players have theirs react as well.

The same goes for curiosity about Elune and the decision to follow her teachings/ways/etc. A void elf may not come from a people who are predisposed to turning to Elune, but that doesn't mean that individuals can't transcend their upbringings and circumstances, growing and evolving their mindsets while allowing recent events to shape them and cause them to become curious about their ancient kin and Elune herself. A desire to fit in, to belong, can also be a very strong component of any void elf considering what they deal with and the exile from their very lands and homes.

So yeah, I say go for it if you want to have a void elf who is curious about Elune and the faith that surrounds her. You truly have a lot of freedom to explore that angle especially if you find yourself RP'ing with the right people.

11/12/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Lamunadra
apparently Tyrandes new elune powers are a bit voidy.

im not sure what to make of it

This is kinda what I gather too. Elune is still such a mystery even after all this time, but it has kinda always felt like there was a heavy component of Arcane and Light to her: hence the expression of those magics by means of holy magic and/or astral spells. The night warrior thing seems like it would have to be touching into the realm of the Shadow or maybe Death somehow if even only slightly. I'm not sure what other school of magic it could be attributed to based on what we know about the schools from Chronicle 1.
From the Kaldorei perspective void elves would be the void corrupted descendants of the Highborne.

From the void elf perspective interest in Elune can make a fair amount of sense. The idea of someone becoming interested in ancient religions their people abandoned long ago is not a stretch and happens all the time in the real world.

Keep in mind not all void elves have to be void scholars. Were they political dissidents? (Early speculation that void elves were the last followers of teachings of Kael'thas still makes a fair amount of sense.) Were they there to support a more magically gifted sibling? Did they have a close relative who was studying the void and they were banished with them for good measure? Were they in the Ghostlands because they were destitute?

For these people the experience of being forcibly injected with void then finding themselves in a strange new land could be fairly traumatic. Then bumping into the people who were your people ~8,000 years ago. The idea of returning to your people's ancient traditions/religion could be quite appealing. After all, what had sun worshiping done for them?

Overall I would expect the Kaldorei to be very suspicious of void elves. These are the people who destroyed civilization 10,000 years ago and they're playing footsie with another power beyond their understanding or control? C'mon, we've seen this show before.

Then again the Kaldorei have never been more in need of Allies and today's Kaldorei aren't the isolated elves of Warcraft 3. The Alliance values of tolerance and inclusion have made significant inroads into their society.

pre-bfa, i can imagine there would be a lot of friction by virtue of them being void infused thalassian elves

post-teldrassil, i think the kaldorei could find common ground with the ren'dorei, given that both are refugee populations displaced by the horde, and given how elves of all stripes are super big on vengeance, i think they could get along very well

plus, if shandris and umbric are a microcosm of the interactions between the two elven races, then the night elves could very well be impressed that the void elves have retained their noble nature in the face of being infused with the primal essence of shadow

nothing in canon, but why not?
Wanted to come back and add additional thanks for all the new responses! I was finally able to start my Velf toon last night and am mulling all this over while I level her up!
Falconfury,

Faith is an interesting thing to have on any character. It can help determine the drive of that character, set their morals, and life goals.

For a ren'dorei, it's important to remember that they began as something else. Something other than void-infused beings. If your objective is to play a ren'dorei, their age will play a big factor in the feasibility of the concept you propose.

High elves and Blood elves reach adulthood in their 20s both physically and in the eyes of society (Edge of Night, pg 3; World of Warcraft: The Comic, various Issues; Horde Quest: What I Do Best). But high elves and blood elves can live as long as 3,000 years in rare cases (as with King Anasterian Sunstrider). It will be important to take into account the philosophies and beliefs your character might have been exposed to throughout her life. If she is very young, she might be more malleable to turn to the Elunarian faith. At the same time, if she is older and well studied, she could still be turned toward it for a good enough reason.

One way I could see this concept working well would be if the ren'dorei in question was swept up in the chaos with Umbric and his followers and was never actively seeking to study and use the void. Rather, if he or she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time for whatever reason and became a void elf with the others as a result. Being transformed into something you are not creates a huge crisis of faith. Just look at Sylvanas.

Furthermore, one of the many stops made by Umbric and his followers during their travels in the Ghostlands was to the Sanctum of the Moon. It is very possible that your void elf could have discovered some ancient text regarding Elune. But given the high elves lack of faith since their exile, it's more likely that such a volume would have contained history for posterity rather than values or teachings of the Elunarian faith.

Later, after joining the Alliance once more, the ren'dorei could possibly learn rumors about Elune returning corrupt beings to their true and normal selves. This has happened in the canon on a few occasions. Most notably with Avrus Illwhisper (Quest: In the Hands of the Perverse), a felmusk satyr who sought redemption in Elune's eyes and went so far as to sacrifice himself to earn it. Of course, this more commonly happens with spirits of the fallen, such as Elune's redemption of the Fallen Priestess (Quest: Washed Clean) and Eranikus (Old Quest: The Nightmare Manifests).

It's possible that a ren'dorei might believe Elune could save them from the void corruption. That alone could be reason enough for a ren'dorei to start upholding faith in Elune. As for whether Elune would welcome that ren'dorei, or if other followers of the faith would welcome him or her too, is difficult to determine.