Timewalking: Fix it or make it Max level only

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Unfortunately timewalking does still appear to be "max level or GTFO." Tanks are yo-yos if they stay alive at all, DPS really slow the group, and healers can't keep up if they are not 120 and maybe even a bit geared. I've believed for two expansions now that timewalking should be restricted to a max level activity because the insane leap from even one level down and the cap in relative performance is just ridiculous and I just bailed on a group because the tank was 119, I was on a 110 alt (DPS) and the healer was 113. ONE DPS, ok maybe you're alright because there are three and the laws of "low responsibility" are in effect, but I just saw the shattered halls become a death zerg, and a terribly slow one for the first few pulls.

I first adored the idea of timewalking bridging the level gap with leveling friends, but man... it does not handle the gaps as well as even the current leveling dungeons do. It's the heroic versions of old dungeons and they are brutal, for whatever reason, on pre-capped characters. Do yourself and the world a favor, take the hint that came with them nerfing the hell out of timewalking XP and wait for the level cap. I'm certainly going to now that I've had it confirmed again.

Thing is, I can make all these recommendations, but of course people don't have to abide, so it falls on Blizzard to either fix this or just limit TW'ing to max level characters.
got in one today as heals, the group wiped on the first pull within 20 secs, and the tank (trash warrior) says "is this your first time healing?"

the guy died through every CD i had... not sure what else he wanted. you can tell the new players because they think it's "hurr durr pull everything lul"
your gear doesnt matter for TW. Everything is scaled.
11/13/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Langly
the tank (trash warrior) says "is this your first time healing?"

Curious though: was it ?

:P
Timewalking is trivial content an always has been this is a player issue nothing more
11/13/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Eret

I don't know if either of us has a source for this, but I can't see it being ok to enter TW'ing totally naked.

Interestingly, I've seen this in other games where literally your gear means NOTHING if your level is altered from its true state (like stripping naked doesn't move a thing), but I don't think WoW has this mentality.
11/13/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Omedon
11/13/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Eret

I don't know if either of us has a source for this, but I can't see it being ok to enter TW'ing totally naked.

Interestingly, I've seen this in other games where literally your gear means NOTHING if your level is altered from its true state (like stripping naked doesn't move a thing), but I don't think WoW has this mentality.

The "source" is opening your character panel and mousing over any gear (in a TW). You CAN go in naked.. you will be obliterated because you have zero extra stats and stam.

I poorly worded my last post. The ilvl of gear doesnt matter a 300 ilvl piece and a 385 ilvl piece will get scaled down to whatever ilvl the TW is set to.
11/13/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Grossebaffe
11/13/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Langly
the tank (trash warrior) says "is this your first time healing?"

Curious though: was it ?

:P

literally healed a +10 last night... doing a TW with randoms was a terrible idea

doing anything with randoms in this game is a terrible idea
At max level in legion, players had access to legendaries, artifact traits and eventually netherlight procs. All of those things worked in timewalking so it made a huge difference between a 110 character and a lowbie. Now all you have is wimpy azerite traits which barely make a difference. You're just getting poor players, it has nothing to do with level.
i personally believe there is an issue with the scaling, just tanked shattered halls and the trash was hitting as hard as trash from mythic +5, naturally a well geared, skilled group would have no issue with this, but this content isn't really catered to them giving 355 raid gear from the weekly and 335 base gear drops it should be more on par with heroic difficulty.
Time walking has always been scaled down and should not be considered correct to pull everything, you will wipe.
Couldn't pull too much in TW like i used to but we still finished it at a descent pace.
I'd say they're appropriately tuned since even at the level of the content, pulling everything will be a bad idea. Not all the content in the game should be easy, and considering the reward at max level for completing 5 is normal mode raid gear, the difficulty is fine. level of the players in the dungeon has no bearing on the difficulty, either.
BC timewalking has always seemed to be the roughest, probably because those heroics were meant to be end game content back then. Wrath and the others aren't nearly as tough, much more meant to be facerolled through. Ugh, that reminds me I need to find a BT raid tonight, I only need to get that achieve to be able to mog glaives on my DH.
11/13/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Omedon
healers can't keep up if they are not 120 and maybe even a bit geared.
Gear and stats are scaled, so being geared doesn't matter except for determining which Azerite traits you have. For lower level players the only things that could impact performance is lack of certain skills, which becomes a non-issue at level 100 I believe.
11/13/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Omedon
Unfortunately timewalking does still appear to be "max level or GTFO." Tanks are yo-yos if they stay alive at all, DPS really slow the group, and healers can't keep up if they are not 120 and maybe even a bit geared. I've believed for two expansions now that timewalking should be restricted to a max level activity because the insane leap from even one level down and the cap in relative performance is just ridiculous and I just bailed on a group because the tank was 119, I was on a 110 alt (DPS) and the healer was 113. ONE DPS, ok maybe you're alright because there are three and the laws of "low responsibility" are in effect, but I just saw the shattered halls become a death zerg, and a terribly slow one for the first few pulls.

I first adored the idea of timewalking bridging the level gap with leveling friends, but man... it does not handle the gaps as well as even the current leveling dungeons do. It's the heroic versions of old dungeons and they are brutal, for whatever reason, on pre-capped characters. Do yourself and the world a favor, take the hint that came with them nerfing the hell out of timewalking XP and wait for the level cap. I'm certainly going to now that I've had it confirmed again.

Thing is, I can make all these recommendations, but of course people don't have to abide, so it falls on Blizzard to either fix this or just limit TW'ing to max level characters.

Indeed I tried to tank a time walking duegon on this toon my group got destroyed I did outlast everyone in group even healer at the least... But it got to point where we just died and died.;... and the dps for some reason lured it to start of duegon I helped with that....

Then I got pushed out of duegon ..... unfortunality was on a mount in air but got dismounted for some reason and ended up falling to my death...... I left group since it was bad.... They blamed me lol saying I did not interupt boss which I did..

Non of the dps were using their interupts.
Being X level or X geared, doesn't matter.
The tuning can be weird with some of the timewalking for sure but I think it comes down to a long time with dungeons being faceroll so when the general player base see that it's an old dungeon, they feel it's going to be another faceroll.

I did Cata timewalking drunk and it went perfectly well.

But when people aren't respective of others time as well as super defensive when something goes wrong instead of tackling a challenge then you have bad experiences.

I'm sure there are those that will find everything easy but this isn't a solo run, it's not something you outgear, it's group content.

If you don't work as a group and help each other out, you will constantly run into issues.
Eh ... this week (Burning Crusade) Timewalking feels quite overtuned compared to Mists of Pandaria one we had a few weeks ago. Enemies seem to have more health, enemies seem to hit much harder, and tanks are dying much easier despite healers spamming them.
idk, I do timewalking on lower level alts pretty frequently and it seems perfectly fine as both a tank and a dps. Had no problems with the recent MoP and cata ones. Can't speak for heals since I don't do any of that.
Just so you all know, legiondaries and "the cape" still work in TW dungeons.