Latest Shaman PTR 28440

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Okey dear devs. I clearly remember this post just over 4 days ago. Or maybe I just think I remember, but I really don't.

"The changes above should help make the different choices on many talent rows much more competitive with each other.

In addition to these changes above, we’re adjusting how many tooltips are generated. This may cause some websites to show that the damage or healing of almost every single Enhancement ability has changed. Do not panic; we are not lowering all of your damage and healing! This will be a behind-the-scenes data adjustment only."

So what I see today? Wall of nerf notes to Enh Shaman base abilities. Do we have double standards here again or is the right hand doing something left hand don't know?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/8164-Patch-8-1-0-PTR-Build-28440
lol wtf. OP Enhance shammys get the nerf hammer they deserve

/sarcasm
Uh... Did you miss the "This may cause some websites to show that the damage or healing of almost every single Enhancement ability has changed" part? Isn't that literally what you are seeing? MMO-Champion's Patch notes are based off the changes to the Tooltips that they warned us were coming.
If you look at the changes on Wowhead you can see that Enhancement had an aura of -43%. So instead of just increasing the aura they zeroed it out and updated the tooltip numbers to reflect that change and any buffs that had been announced.
11/13/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Leafelgarn
Uh... Did you miss the "This may cause some websites to show that the damage or healing of almost every single Enhancement ability has changed" part? Isn't that literally what you are seeing? MMO-Champion's Patch notes are based off the changes to the Tooltips that they warned us were coming.

They could avoid a lot of miss information and confusion if they would get off their butts and release actual patch notes for the PTR, so we don't need to rely on data mined notes.

However, they don't seam interested in putting forth that effort or any effort to engage with their community and reassure them. SO panic posts and hyperbole don't overtake everything.

They keep saying they need to improve communication, and we deserve better, but they make no attempts even at small things like this.
11/13/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Aethevale
They could avoid a lot of miss information and confusion if they would get off their butts and release actual patch notes for the PTR, so we don't need to rely on data mined notes.

They got no reason to do it. For whatever reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to start counting if every ability had the same nerf plus add all nonsense which have been going. Or they just could release their own Patch Notes as they used to over 5 years ago or is it even more.
11/13/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Riidatar
Feel free to start counting if every ability had the same nerf plus add all nonsense which have been going. Or they just could release their own Patch Notes as they used to over 5 years ago or is it even more.
didnt take long to put a few both for ele and enhancement into excel, it looks like a damage reduction of 40% across the board. didnt bother to enter all of them, seems like all damaging abilities have the same but i noticed for example Landslide has reduced chance to proc, and Totem Mastery was buffed.
so guess its hard to see if its an overall nerf or buff, looks to me like its about the same as before if perhaps a small damage improvement with the removal of -43% aura.
-43% damage aura removed, therefore every ability nerfed by 40%. Seems absolutely fine and logical to me.
11/13/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Riidatar

They do release patch notes, but what you're seeing isn't a patch, it's a build. We don't see every build they even make (which is why sometimes odd stuff happens with datamining) so why would they waste time changing notes around when any or all of it may be undone the very next build (see aoe nerf build preBlizzcon and rollback postBlizzcon). So when they patch the final changes to live, they release the patch notes. But as was stated as a warning, the changes were to shift the heavy -43% penalty away from the aura and reveal more accurate ability tooltips.
11/14/2018 03:42 AMPosted by Belerian
-43% damage aura removed, therefore every ability nerfed by 40%. Seems absolutely fine and logical to me.

They removed the negative aura.
11/14/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Turbocharged
They removed the negative aura.
Yep...and what do they have to do, when they remove the negative aura? So that the abilities do the same amount of damage while the aura was applied? Correct, they have to nerf the abilities according to the value of the (now removed) aura. I don't see what's wrong with that.
Can someone explain this negative aura to me? Why is/was it a thing?
The aura is a tuning knob they have. Used primarily to quickly adjust a spec while working in development.

It’s meant as a tool for them to adjust the spec without spending hours digging into each ability to tune them.

Spec needs an overal improvement to damage, tune the Aura. Certain ability is out of wack for the damage profile, adjust ability then retune aura to keep the spec in the damage target zone.
11/14/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Astrae
Can someone explain this negative aura to me? Why is/was it a thing?

Base damage of a spell modified by the aura. Negative aura reduces damage, positive increases it.
I see, thanks. So are they only removing the aura for Shaman? Why would they do that?
11/14/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Astrae
I see, thanks. So are they only removing the aura for Shaman? Why would they do that?

Because the aura messes with multiplicative tuning changes, which makes datamined changes look massively bigger or smaller than they are. The changes are still exactly as big or small as the devs want them to be, because they account for the auras themsevles, but to people who don't know the auras exist, and dont know how to account for them, changes look very different in terms of tuning.
Looks like they removed the damage reduction aura on enhancement entirely (as they should have all along) then tuned the abilities based on that. Mathematically speaking it should be much easier to tune the spec now.

On the flipside we can now say for certain that if Enhancement is still underperforming in 8.1 then it is intelligent design. The conspiracy to keep shamans down will be confirmed as a fact and the last sliver of hope/respect I have for the warcraft crew will be bye bye