Why I Don't Join Voice Chat In Groups

General Discussion
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
- I don't want to hear about your political point of view.
- I don't want to hear about your drug/alcohol addiction.
- I don't want to hear your crappy music.
- I don't want to hear your stupid children in the background.
- I don't want to hear your family yelling in the background.
- I don't want to hear you mouth breathing into your open mic.

Overall, I'm just here to play the game and I don't need your life's story while I'm trying to do that. I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability. I don't need your little life distractions making it hard to hear what's going on in the game. I'm in your group to finish content, period.

Ultimately I'm just tired of people demanding me to get into voice chat just to make it a hindrance to my gameplay. Voice chat can be helpful at times but I don't need all the non-game related garble included.
ok, thanks for the insight
Agreed.
The less you know about people the more bearable they are.
10/12/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Annastasi

It's not just insight, people assume you're being "anti-social" or a "jerk" if you don't join. I'm just saying there are legitimate reasons for people choosing to not want to join voice chat.
It's what makes raiding fun. When you hear about the time some American slept with his sister or when some bogan got hammered on the weekend and did some ice. It's a good laugh.

But sure, I guess boring people can be boring.
Why I don’t use voice chat:
- I’m a woman
- No thank you
10/12/2018 09:28 PMPosted by Empowerments
10/12/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Annastasi

It's not just insight, people assume you're being "anti-social" or a "jerk" if you don't join. I'm just saying there are legitimate reasons for people choosing to not want to join voice chat.

I mean, it's all good. What I don't get is people joining a group (for w/e) that says "requires this voice chat" and they don't join it.
Why I don't use it:

I forget it exists.
Cool. just expect to not get far in pvp or pve. If ur fine with that go ahead
10/12/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Void
Cool. just expect to not get far in pvp or pve. If ur fine with that go ahead
Voice chat has never been required for anything in the game so far. Don't know why you expect that to change.
10/12/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Díonysus
It's what makes raiding fun. When you hear about the time some American slept with his sister or when some bogan got hammered on the weekend and did some ice. It's a good laugh.

But sure, I guess boring people can be boring.
You really find drug use and incest entertaining?

I guess you're the bored one.
Ain't got to explain yourself to me, at least.

I'm with you on this one, op. I avoid voice chat whenever possible. Even just passive listening is way too immersion breaking.
All my immersion just goes out the window when you hear the main tanks voice break on disc. And really i dont want to hear your rl stuff, i dont care, i play wow to escape real life.
Yeah man I totally get it. I very reluctantly joined voice chat last weekend for an IE farming group. We'd planned to stay all day farming mounts and pets etc. I had to excuse myself after 3 or 4 islands of hearing the group's tank farting and laughing obnoxiously about it over the stupid mic. #100 #nope
If I want you to join voice chat and you don't I kick you. I don't care about your made up reason for not joining.
10/12/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Empowerments
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
- I don't want to hear about your political point of view.
- I don't want to hear about your drug/alcohol addiction.

I honestly hear more about these things in party chat than I ever have in voice chat.

10/12/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Empowerments
- I don't want to hear your crappy music.
- I don't want to hear your stupid children in the background.
- I don't want to hear your family yelling in the background.
- I don't want to hear you mouth breathing into your open mic.

I do run across this type of noise pollution occasionally, but I've found it's not very common. Accidental open mics are the most frequent of those, but quickly yelled at by everyone else and closed by the user. Or muted. Mute is very useful. :)
I don't understand why people feel the need to make these posts when they could simply ignore the avenue entirely. If you don't care about people and have no desire to make social connections or get in voice with them, then why does their opinion matter on if you're anti-social or not? Who cares?

If you join a guild and do organized raiding, then these issues don't happen very much at all. I've never even had a lot of these issues in my entire experience playing WoW because I've run my guild for over a decade and I've been lucky enough to not have this problem. If someone does have rather impressive background for whatever reason, I ask them to mute themself, and that's it.

These kinds of threads are very unnecessary.
Could say the same about your post though, really. The subject here obviously doesn't apply to you so you could have simply ignored the thread entirely. A forum is a place for conversation, none of them are really "necessary".
10/12/2018 09:53 PMPosted by Iskandi
All my immersion just goes out the window when you hear the main tanks voice break on disc.

LOL TOO TRUE
The people I’ve voice chatted so far in BFA been nothing but nice. You clearly have social anxiety.