Why I Don't Join Voice Chat In Groups

General Discussion
10/12/2018 09:28 PMPosted by Empowerments

It's not just insight, people assume you're being "anti-social" or a "jerk" if you don't join. I'm just saying there are legitimate reasons for people choosing to not want to join voice chat.

No, I don't think your anti-social or a jerk, but I'm also not going to assume you know fights or don't need callouts.
I'm not going to risk you wiping us constantly because you won't join in our Disc to hear callouts.

You're not comfortable in Disc? I'm not comfortable bringing you along.
I'll start off by freely admitting I have really bad social anxiety yet can be a serious chatty cathy at the same time. If this is part of your problem then its nothing to be embarrassed about.

I personally use voice chat all the time, specifically Discord but I actually don't like talking to or hearing a bunch of puggers. The key thing to remember is you don't need to speak in most voice chats, simply listen. You should be ready to mute people of no consequence in the chat if they do or say something really annoying. I will routinely mute people, temporarily in most cases, who have an open mic until they fix it (exceptions for some people).

Politics and other sensitive topics should really stay out of a productive voice chat especially if you are dealing with random strangers. However always be aware and mindful of a server's social culture especially if it's a guild or other long-term community. I've been in plenty of voice chats with a mixture of religious conservatives and LGBT cyber activists and everybody got along just fine (in some cases finding common points of view).

I personally agree that alot of drug/alcohol talk can be annoying and really infantile -- no I don't need to know that you just took a massive hit before a boss pull and don't remember the mechanics. You also don't need to know the length and color of the crap I just took between raids.

Background noise can be just a part of life but I think it's more a matter of avoiding an open mic but heaven forbid a responible parent has to address something with their kid and some of that is picked up by the mic. This isn't nearly as common as you'd think unless you're running with a family-heavy guild who have alot of parents.

The nature of the run should dictate the requirements for voice chat, if there requires at least some coordination it should be strongly encouraged. You don't need voice chat for a speed run through most old content but it can difficult to coordinate on Mythic Tomb or Antorus without it. It's also very reasonable to require voice chat for current content raiding because nothing is worse than the one person who doesn't hear the raid caller and wipes the raid.
10/12/2018 10:40 PMPosted by Taintedbeef

It's not just insight, people assume you're being "anti-social" or a "jerk" if you don't join. I'm just saying there are legitimate reasons for people choosing to not want to join voice chat.

No, I don't think your anti-social or a jerk, but I'm also not going to assume you know fights or don't need callouts.
I'm not going to risk you wiping us constantly because you won't join in our Disc to hear callouts.

Harsh but I agree with things that require serious coordination such as achievement runs, current content raiding, etc.
10/12/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Díonysus
It's what makes raiding fun. When you hear about the time some American slept with his sister or when some bogan got hammered on the weekend and did some ice. It's a good laugh.

But sure, I guess boring people can be boring.

I'm thinking of words that'd describe someone who found listening to that "fun", but none are suitable for this forum.
Besides the fact that I'm on Discord, the few times I've tried the in game voice chat client it ends up disabling all the rest of the game sound. Something about it just doesn't play nice with my wireless headphones (although the rest of the game works just fine with them.)
I freak out when I have to talk to people.
10/13/2018 12:07 AMPosted by Bethlen
I freak out when I have to talk to people.

I do too sometimes, especially in real life but I find voice chat gives me more control over my anxiety as I can simply mute or disconnect. If I try that in real life I'd probably get arrested. :)
Four of your reasons are why I enforce PTT on my Discord server.
10/12/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Annastasi
ok, thanks for the insight

Nah, this doesn't sound right to me at all. I don't think anyone cares how social you're being. They just care that you're listening to instructions.

I will use voice chat when needed, however, my point is that people should keep their personal things to themselves. I've literally been in groups where people are actively snorting drugs or yelling at their kids into their microphone. Voice chat should be used for communication and when people break outside that I really don't want to be there.
You mean you don't want to hear the sounds of my mechanical keyboard clicking away relentlessly in your ears as I go through my healer rotation because I'm too lazy to use push to talk? Or the sounds of my heavy, labored breathing occasionally filtered out by my voracious chewing as I stuff hot pockets and cheetos down my gullet? Or my request to pause after every trash pull so I can wipe the cheeto dust off my fingers and the spittle off my chin while satisfied moans escape my mouth?

Fine, I didn't want to play with you either.
10/12/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Empowerments
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
- I don't want to hear about your political point of view.
- I don't want to hear about your drug/alcohol addiction.
- I don't want to hear your crappy music.
- I don't want to hear your stupid children in the background.
- I don't want to hear your family yelling in the background.
- I don't want to hear you mouth breathing into your open mic.

Overall, I'm just here to play the game and I don't need your life's story while I'm trying to do that. I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability. I don't need your little life distractions making it hard to hear what's going on in the game. I'm in your group to finish content, period.

Ultimately I'm just tired of people demanding me to get into voice chat just to make it a hindrance to my gameplay. Voice chat can be helpful at times but I don't need all the non-game related garble included.

Honestly 75% of the time voice chat is people just joking around. I would say the vast majority of groups use discord. Which you can mute people.

Hardly ever hear people talk about politics, unless you pulling extreme bad numbers as dps no one says boo about

Maybe rng jesus is kind to me on the discord front *shrugs*

But whatever
10/12/2018 09:50 PMPosted by Romanna
10/12/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Void
Cool. just expect to not get far in pvp or pve. If ur fine with that go ahead
Voice chat has never been required for anything in the game so far. Don't know why you expect that to change.

Absolutely false, 100% untrue, incorrect.

Aside from that, just don't join groups that require you to use it.

But don't be shocked and hurt when groups kick you because you refuse to at least listen in on the strat/fight.

Coordination and teamwork are so much easier with discord it's unreal.

Or wait... Are we talking about the garbage in game voice chat?

Yeah f that.

That's fine there are 10 other groups that will take them along. ;)
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
not sure where you’re going that you’re expected to join in game voice chat

If you’re talking about discords, and these are the only people you’ve come across you are:

1. exaggerating
2. Extremely unlucky, this has not been my experience at all
But how will you know they are a cool 15 year old if you don't hear the drugs they are doing?
10/12/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Empowerments

Overall, I'm just here to play the game and I don't need your life's story while I'm trying to do that. I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability. I don't need your little life distractions making it hard to hear what's going on in the game. I'm in your group to finish content, period.

Ultimately I'm just tired of people demanding me to get into voice chat just to make it a hindrance to my gameplay. Voice chat can be helpful at times but I don't need all the non-game related garble included.

Sounds like the majority of American pug group discords. It's a generalization... I know... but the tendency is there.

People always trying to talk over each other. Trying to be the alpha on a bloody voice chat. 1 raid leader becomes 10. Or there's always that one guy with his mic on, and you can hear everything from his keyboard to what his mum is saying in the background.

Aussies, if they aren't a bunch of 15 year olds, the banter tends to be more relaxed. Sort of like sitting in a pub. And everyone, usually shuts up when the raid starts. It's good that way.

I'm from neither region, physically, no bias. It is what it is.
10/13/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Momimfotm
You mean you don't want to hear the sounds of my mechanical keyboard clicking away relentlessly in your ears as I go through my healer rotation because I'm too lazy to use push to talk? Or the sounds of my heavy, labored breathing occasionally filtered out by my voracious chewing as I stuff hot pockets and cheetos down my gullet? Or my request to pause after every trash pull so I can wipe the cheeto dust off my fingers and the spittle off my chin while satisfied moans escape my mouth?

Fine, I didn't want to play with you either.

You bring up an excellent point I completely forgot about; mechanical keyboards. Nothing, NOTHING, is more annoying in the entire world and I honestly don't understand why people want them.