Why I Don't Join Voice Chat In Groups

General Discussion
I don't know about the actual in game voice channel, but everytime I join a LFG for normal/heroic raids and they require discord I haven't seen any of that.

We talk raid, we talk strategy, and we get it done.
10/12/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Empowerments
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
- I don't want to hear about your political point of view.
- I don't want to hear about your drug/alcohol addiction.
- I don't want to hear your crappy music.
- I don't want to hear your stupid children in the background.
- I don't want to hear your family yelling in the background.
- I don't want to hear you mouth breathing into your open mic.

Overall, I'm just here to play the game and I don't need your life's story while I'm trying to do that. I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability. I don't need your little life distractions making it hard to hear what's going on in the game. I'm in your group to finish content, period.

Ultimately I'm just tired of people demanding me to get into voice chat just to make it a hindrance to my gameplay. Voice chat can be helpful at times but I don't need all the non-game related garble included.

You sound like a lot of fun to be around.
10/12/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Díonysus
It's what makes raiding fun. When you hear about the time some American slept with his sister or when some bogan got hammered on the weekend and did some ice. It's a good laugh.

But sure, I guess boring people can be boring.

Like this is a perfect example of what why I don't join.

Also, I'm in discord with actual friends, I'm not going to drop that to listen to some strangers mouthbreathe and curse.
10/13/2018 02:52 PMPosted by Empowerments
10/13/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Momimfotm
You mean you don't want to hear the sounds of my mechanical keyboard clicking away relentlessly in your ears as I go through my healer rotation because I'm too lazy to use push to talk? Or the sounds of my heavy, labored breathing occasionally filtered out by my voracious chewing as I stuff hot pockets and cheetos down my gullet? Or my request to pause after every trash pull so I can wipe the cheeto dust off my fingers and the spittle off my chin while satisfied moans escape my mouth?

Fine, I didn't want to play with you either.

You bring up an excellent point I completely forgot about; mechanical keyboards. Nothing, NOTHING, is more annoying in the entire world and I honestly don't understand why people want them.

Champs use mechanical-mesh keyboards. Tryhards use str8 mechanical.

Mech-mesh keyboards have the same mechanical function and tactile feedback so many players enjoy using as the popular mechanical keyboards, but are 75% quieter.

Plus, if your discord channel isn't PTT during progression or challenging content, you failed.

I don't need to hear you eating, drinking, slurping, burping, yelling at/talking to other people in the same room or even house, yelling at dogs, "smoking"/coughing, yelling at pets/dogs barking, listening to music through your speakers/causing voice feedback, laboriously breathing etc etc while I'm trying to play.
I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability.

Yup, every wow player is a mouthbreathing !@#$%^- except you. You alone are the hygenic, hardworking player who wants to succeed at content.
Why I don't use it:

That's what Discord is for.
I don't use the in game voice chat because I'm already in discord with buddies.
- I don't want to hear you blame everyone else in the group but yourself for the wipe(s).
- I don't want to hear how you can play my role better than I can (If you can then why aren't you?)
- I don't want to hear about your political point of view.
- I don't want to hear about your drug/alcohol addiction.
- I don't want to hear your crappy music.
- I don't want to hear your stupid children in the background.
- I don't want to hear your family yelling in the background.
- I don't want to hear you mouth breathing into your open mic.

Overall, I'm just here to play the game and I don't need your life's story while I'm trying to do that. I don't want to hear you snorting your life away while I'm working as hard as I can do fill my role to the best of my ability. I don't need your little life distractions making it hard to hear what's going on in the game. I'm in your group to finish content, period.

Ultimately I'm just tired of people demanding me to get into voice chat just to make it a hindrance to my gameplay. Voice chat can be helpful at times but I don't need all the non-game related garble included.

Forgot one.don't want to hear them eating.
10/13/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Kegsis
Why I don't use it:

That's what Discord is for.

I was actually referring to all forms of voice chat; discord included.
You sound like an anti-social loser.

Why don't you come out an say you have social anxiety? Because that's the real reason you avoid voice chat.

Ohh and all major voice chat programs have a MUTE button that lets you mute whoever is annoying you, fukin crazy I know.. damn loser.
People use the voice chat? I've never used it and never been asked to. I just chill in discord with some IRL friends while i play WoW.

10/13/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Sçum

Why don't you come out an say you have social anxiety? Because that's the real reason you avoid voice chat.

Ohh and all major voice chat programs have a MUTE button that lets you mute whoever is annoying you, fukin crazy I know.. damn loser.

A little bit harsh. Anxiety foremost is not something to take for granted or to shame someone about since in many cases is a serious problem if it boils down to GAD, you don't go shaming someone for being sad if they're depressed.

No point being in the voice chat if you have everyone muted.

With the change of character the internet induces on people i don't blame others for avoiding voice chat, if the reason is true to just not wanting to hear other people complain, fair enough, i wouldn't want to either, if the underlying issue is a form of anxiety, don't joke about it, you don't know the person.

If we're going to start picking at slight bumps in character based off next to zero evidence and just biased assumption i'd say you have about 70 IQ and Antisocial personality disorder.
I'm not exactly a fan of voice chat either and I've dealt with social anxiety my entire life (it took me years before I could finally get on voice chat and actually talk). I'm comfortable talking with guild-members, but strangers make me so nervous. Every time some PuG leader posts a discord link, my heart starts pounding against my chest like it wants to escape and I get cold sweats. However, when a discord link is posted, I take a few deep breaths, log on and mute myself. Why? Well...

For starters, this usually happens when I join a Normal Uldir PuG. My guild doesn't do 'em anymore and I have a few alts I enjoy taking there, not just for gear but also to experience the raid from a different point of view (aka ranged DPS or healing). I know a good number of people are probably rolling their eyes so hard, they can see the back of their own heads and thinking 'Normal Uldir so easy' and I completely respect the fact that it is, indeed, easy for you, but I still find challenge in trying out new things in there.

Anyways, getting side-tracked here. Point is, I don't enjoy getting on discord and listening to PuGs but I do it anyways, because if these people are going to be nice enough to invite my lil' alt and give me a chance to join their group, I feel joining their discord and allowing for some semblance of coordination is the least I can do. It is true that, sometimes, they're just a bunch of strange people talking about nonsense, doing weird stuff and being generally unpleasant (joined a discord for a mythic Taloc pug today and, ho boy did things get weird and obnoxious quickly), but I've found that, more often than not, they're actually decent people.

This week I ended up with this mythic guild taking a stroll through Uldir with their alts and they were just some of the nicest folks. There were people who wouldn't get on Discord, and it made for some difficult communication on some of the fights (especially the later ones like Zul, Mythrax and G'Huun that are very mechanic heavy). I had a blast with them and couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity they gave me not only to join on my recently boosted hunter, but also letting me do things like CC'ing (something I never got to try on the war for... obvious reasons) and running orbs.

The whole point of this novel... Pug's Discords aren't always a cesspool of bad human behavior. I can understand it may not be an option for people with severe anxiety, but otherwise it's common courtesy to allow for some form of organization when tackling content that requires just that. Wipes can be avoided if everyone's listening to important calls being made and time can be saved when they don't have to type everything.

And if they really are acting like a bunch of Troglodytes on voice chat, you'll probably save yourself some grief by just leaving the group and finding a better bunch of folks to run with.
10/13/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Sçum

And when it's the group leader or somebody important doing it? If you mute them there's no reason to be in there in the first place then.
Thank you for reminding me why I quit raiding.
I dislike voice chat as well, and some of the reasons you listed contributed to that. It's not WoW specific, just voice chat in general. It's known to be a commonly annoying/toxic/joke environment cross platform (PC and console.)

If it's a group of people I'm friends with, I'll jump in, I know they act like adults. PuGs--in any kind of game? I don't bother anymore.

It's not about social anxiety either, it's about not wanting to deal with people who think they're essentially the star of some radio show and/or don't have any kind of filter.

If some of you talked or created background noise as much as you do over voice chat at a irl WoW type-game (like D&D) most people would be as annoyed, if not more.
10/12/2018 09:50 PMPosted by Romanna
10/12/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Void
Cool. just expect to not get far in pvp or pve. If ur fine with that go ahead
Voice chat has never been required for anything in the game so far. Don't know why you expect that to change.
You have never gone past LFR.
After playing a BDK(and the other tank specs) for so many years, for the first time ever I'm raiding on a resto shaman, I'm still learning this whole healing thing. Without the RL calling for my healing tide, I'd have no idea when to use it(not at the moment anyway)

Might sound a bit random, but my point is, voice comms can also be useful to some people.
The groups that I joined, not once have they berated me for making a mistake over disc.
Yeah, for me it is mainly "mouth breathing" and "nerd voice."

The other extreme is the "cute female" voice, who uses it to get stuff.

The weirdest I've experienced was in ESO, for the XBOX ONE. Apparently, it is on by default. I found you actually have to change some settings to not hear it. The thing is also by default PROXIMITY, so it isn't even just people you are grouped with.

So I was playing ESO, minding my own business and alone. I'm in a town area, going near a store. I hear some person saying "Doo dooo dooo... doo doo, no honey.." I'm thinking it is an NPC, or something? Then I hear this weird, carnival like kid's music as I approach the store. "Hmm", I thought, "That is a weird choice of game music for this area..."

Then I heard someone talking to a kid more, finally figuring out it was the voice chat system on and it was a player near where I was. It kind of creeped me out, though. I shut that thing down right away.
I totally agree with the OP but.

As a voice actor I do love to trip people out when I do use
a mic. So I use a microphone in game play maybe once every 3 years.

I had a raid wipe once because spoke the words:
UNTA GLEEBEN GLOUTEN GLOBEN so perfectly everyone thought I was
from DEF LEppard.....