UI and Macro
In its current form the Like indicator has no value in this forum that I'm aware of.

I as a contributor don't know where it comes from or if it means the recipient (OP) has actually acknowledged my input much less actually finds it useful. A simple "tks" reply speaks volumes more than a like. I can deal with no responses as I see fit.

The Likes might be made useful but they have to be "made" useful.
10/13/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Fizzlemizz
simple "tks" reply
This will bump older and possibly outdated posts to the top of the forum, which is against the forum rules[1].

If you found a post useful, then 'Like' it, otherwise don't.

A post with more 'Likes' will tell others that it's a useful post.

---

[1] (Sticky) Welcome! Please read!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20752815121

Guidelines
  • Do not "bump" posts.
  • The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").
    This will bump older and possibly outdated posts to the top of the forum, which is against the forum rules.

How when it's a response to a current reply/thread?
    A post with more 'Likes' will tell others that it's a useful post.

Once again, How? The metric is not used in searches (google or otherwise).
    10/13/2018 12:47 AMPosted by Fizzlemizz
    metric is not used in searches
    Forum searches will show higher rated results first.

The Welcome sticky covers this too;
    If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results.
    Then that more than makes my point (for this forum).

A Like does not mean I've answered the OP's question and is (in it's current form) useless.

Edit: If this forum is to blindly post "how To's" to people that "might" have a question then Like away. But it's not.
    For this forum (UI/Macros) a Like would indicate an answer to a question, usually by the OP or others that found it helpful.

On the face of it, if you like a post for any reason (interesting, funny, answer, etc), then Like it. Don't think too hard on it.
    I have taken to putting my battletag in help posts here and on the Hunter forum and I was surprised to find that besides the expected "Hey, I do have more questions" contacts, I've gotten not a few "Hey, that really helped out. Thanks" comments as well.

I'm relatively certain why they took the downvote option away (based on the timing of a couple of incidents that I won't discuss in open forum (feel free to BT me for details - Kaldara#11970)). I know Blizzard's party-line answer and I don't believe that's the whole story.

There is at least one Blizzard forum where the is an "accepted answer" choice (I forget which one - but I encountered it last month and wondered why it wasn't available here - maybe because this isn't ONLY a question forum).

I agree that Like is a reasonable response for "that answered my question" but I've "liked" posts that were simply entertaining or that took points of view that I approved of or were responding to bullies (and I wanted to offer support whether or not I agreed with the poster's point of view).
    10/13/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Steelfistv
    For this forum (UI/Macros) a Like would indicate an answer to a question, usually by the OP or others that found it helpful.

Where do I find out if a Like is actually from the op so I (or you) can detemine the "Usuality" of it? I thought that is what this thread is about, I must have misunderstood myself.
    Honestly seems like it'd be more useful as a GD thread. But yes, the forums haven't really functionally changed (aside from the removal of the Dislike function) since they were introduced.

Would definitely be more useful, for this forum in particular, if there were "accepted answers".
    That would also work.

It was just a suggestion, related to this forum. No reply was required or expected unless there was some useful information already available that I was missing.

Have fun all.