What is the point or Marks?

Hunter
What is the point of the MM spec. Its not the best DPS spec for Hunters. It's not a very mobile spec so doesn't seem to work for PVP.

Just a serious question from someone who is just now getting back into WoW after spending about 3.5 years away. Before that I was only somewhat casual during the Panda Expansion, before that... well I was a hardcore player in Vanilla. Blizzard's hatred of the Hunter class has caused me to lose interest in the game.

I still love it, so I always pop in every once in a while.... But this new expansion...

I miss survival pew pew. I was hoping Marks would at least give me the DPS I crave... NEVER as a fan of BM... Seems like Blizz is forcing us to play a certain way.

But really, what is the point of MM?
For me, I dig the Lone Hunter role. I'm either a sniper in modern/Sci Fi, or a ranger/archer in fantasy. The visible gratifaction watching that health bar deplete, after each shot, makes you feel alive. Knowing that the same could be done to you, gets your heart pumping.

In dungeons, I'll still use the Lone Wolf talent, even though pet utility outpaces the pathetic 10% DPS buff.
You should have played legion then. BM was trash and MM was good. Not all specs are created equal. Apparently it's MM's turn to suck.
It's suppose to be the pure archer spec. Just you and your bow. You are the sniper. Suppose is the key word here. MM is none of that, beside the lone wolf part.. I like MM over BM as well but it so bad.

SV is no longer range, yes but it really fun. As well BM is petty much getting nerf every patch is seem.
There’s changes to MM on the near horizon that may help. I haven’t played with them myself, but early feedback seems positive as far as the mechanics of the spec go. Whether they tune it to actually be competitive is another issue entirely. Current MM *should* do significantly more dps than BM when played well, but doesn’t, regardless of terrible spec design.

That being said, if you can come to grips with being melee, new Surival is great. I’m opening my first m10 cache today as survival.
10/23/2018 04:07 AMPosted by Khimtorr
There’s changes to MM on the near horizon that may help. I haven’t played with them myself, but early feedback seems positive as far as the mechanics of the spec go. Whether they tune it to actually be competitive is another issue entirely. Current MM *should* do significantly more dps than BM when played well, but doesn’t, regardless of terrible spec design.

That being said, if you can come to grips with being melee, new Surival is great. I’m opening my first m10 cache today as survival.
im one of the rebels who play marks, ive done a ml12 in time and actually had about 3 mins or so before we failed. i feel marks has great single target but suffers from lack of reliable cleave, an the only trait you can use is steady aim as the rest are terrible, now you can prob build a gear set around aoe like one with rapidfire or the multishot trait and then change your spec according, but then you would do terrible dps on the bosses.
10/23/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Tassili
10/23/2018 04:07 AMPosted by Khimtorr

im one of the rebels who play marks, ive done a ml12 in time and actually had about 3 mins or so before we failed. i feel marks has great single target but suffers from lack of reliable cleave, an the only trait you can use is steady aim as the rest are terrible, now you can prob build a gear set around aoe like one with rapidfire or the multishot trait and then change your spec according, but then you would do terrible dps on the bosses.
Pretty much this. I tend to take it in stride when it comes to cleave by justifying to myself that my job is to focus down priority targets, such as the healer of a trash pack.
I've never liked BM, not in Vanilla, and not now. In Vanilla I really LOVED playing this toon after the first and only great hunter buff—when they ditched the 31 point talent in the survival tree, lacerate, and buffed the class with a better trees all together. Class took serious skill in PVP, and if you got your rotation right and knew the raids you could were worth a damn in a 40.

I was really looking forward to Marks being the lone archer, very disappointed that survival ditched range...

Shoot, I'd HAPPILY bring back the dead zone in order to buff the class. Really tired of Blizz not getting it when it comes to PvE vs. PvP.

If they would just focus on one specialization being PVE, one being Soloing, and one being PVE the balancing act would be a great deal better.

Blizz has only gotten this class right once in a decade...

I think I'll go back to my DK or Pally... It's just not a fun class to play any longer.
They make excellent cocktails. They should start a Speakeasy.
10/22/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Gibbseye
For me, I dig the Lone Hunter role. I'm either a sniper in modern/Sci Fi, or a ranger/archer in fantasy. The visible gratifaction watching that health bar deplete, after each shot, makes you feel alive. Knowing that the same could be done to you, gets your heart pumping.

In dungeons, I'll still use the Lone Wolf talent, even though pet utility outpaces the pathetic 10% DPS buff.

No
I love marksmanship and im really happy for the new buffs on patch 8.1, but i think the buffs miss the main problem with marksmanship hunter, and that is AIMED SHOT, the fact that we have to stand still for at least 2 seconds makes all the kiting a waste, not to mention how weird it is that a class spec that should be all about running and getting in range gets this restriction.

i love hunter but i think AIMED SHOT should be usable whille moving for this reasons.

1. aimed shot already has 2 heavy restrictions, not mentioning the not being able to move, the first is that it has 2 charges on a long recharge coldown, and also has a long cast time, making it Usable while moving would make no difference in terms of pure damage, and the only diference it would make on the damage is the mobility we would get for chasing, escaping or positioning, that would make a ranger play style really fun and with a lot less restrictions.

2. the high mobility of the other classes in the game, this explains itself most of the classes have insane mobility and having to cast AIMED SHOT is basically a death sentence.

3. if you are worried for DOUBLE TAP combos then make a restriction on the talent that doesn`t let cast aimed shot on movement whille the buff is active.

4. it would make marksmanship hunter viable on arena, i love marksmanship and i really dont like beast mastery or survival but i play them because i have to and im sure a lot of people feel the same way, by making this small change all hunter specs would be viable for arena and trust me people would LOVE YOU.

so this are my reasons what you guys think ?
At the moment the only point of marksman is theme and the identity of an archer. If your looking for any sort of metric for performance there is none. Although seeing 145k aimed shot crits is one I guess.
I keep coming back hoping the class has improved only to be disappointed. I haven’t enjoyed this class since Vanilla AFTER the great hunter buff when survival got Severn sting and we pwned in PVP and Raids. /sadface
if you're MM you have this weird Roleplaying fantasy with them and thats the only reason. They're not good, there's no point to bring one to a raid and they're garbage in pvp.
Honestly, I’ve been selfishly playing it lately because I find it fun. I can do a few k more dps with BM, but it bores me to the point of logging out after one dungeon.

I hope the 8.1 changes make it more viable because I’m way more in to the theme and play style of it than the other two specs.
^posted on my warrior on accident.