Are there too many paladins?

Paladin
Hi, paladins! I recently returned for BFA and I'm having a really rough time rerolling.

I was a Warrior main for 13 years and, while I will always love that class, I was just so tired of it by the end. When I came back after a long break through most of 7.3, I decided on a fresh start.

I wanted a class that could tank, heal, and DPS. However, I'm a huge transmogger and collector - both Druids and Monks are underwhelming for me in that regard. Druids can only really see their mogs in Resto (they only see a vague blue ghostly outline in Balance) and Monks only use their weapons while tanking. So I ruled those two classes out.

That left Paladin, and to be honest, as a Warrior the only class whose transmogs I envied were Paladins. You guys look so damn cool.

But I worry about overpopulation. On my server, Paladins are the most common class by far. Will I have trouble finding groups? Which role is currently the most in demand? Is it possible to be a unique-looking Paladin with so many of you guys around?

Thanks for reading. <3
Do you want to transmog or do you want to join groups? The class a whole is rather lackluster—why bring a paladin when every other classes role can virtually do the same thing or better. Sure you’ll get invited but don’t expect to be brought over demon hunters/rogues if you run ret. for tanking, DK, monk, and demon hunter to an extent, are better for keys but Prot can work. Can’t make a comment about holy.

If you want to transmog, fine, play Paladin. They have some really nice options when it comes to tier,etc.

If you want to pvp/pve and are afraid about “overpopulation”, I wouldn’t worry so much; overpopulated but undervalued.

I’d persoanlly roll a DK since they’re in a good spot at this minute. Plus 13 years of accumulated plate gear, you can still have some kind of transmog.
10/26/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Dízzý
Do you want to transmog or do you want to join groups? The class a whole is rather lackluster—why bring a paladin when every other classes role can virtually do the same thing or better. Sure you’ll get invited but don’t expect to be brought over demon hunters/rogues if you run ret. for tanking, DK, monk, and demon hunter to an extent, are better for keys but Prot can work. Can’t make a comment about holy.

If you want to transmog, fine, play Paladin. They have some really nice options when it comes to tier,etc.

If you want to pvp/pve and are afraid about “overpopulation”, I wouldn’t worry so much; overpopulated but undervalued.

I’d persoanlly roll a DK since they’re in a good spot at this minute. Plus 13 years of accumulated plate gear, you can still have some kind of transmog.
Never make a decision based on FoTM. DK nerfs have already been announced.
10/27/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Cyntherina
10/26/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Dízzý

Never make a decision based on FoTM. DK nerfs have already been announced.

That’s some backwards thinking for a myriad of reasons. Additionally, “transmog”, good reading skills. Finally, how long does fotm last for you 1 day, 1 month? I’d request for you to define that acronym but I know you would disappoint :(
Well to be honest, there are more Warriors than Pallies at least concerning parses..

Now just my perspective so people can correct me if wrong.
Prot Pally is mid tier compared other tanks, with Blood DK and Brewmaster Mnks leading the top.

Ret pally is low tier for AoE DPS, but Single Target is mediocre to good. Just other DPS melee may do better in most cases.
Utility wise ret is great, but honestly it feels we aren't accepted just because our damage isn't as great as other DPS can be.

Holy is great in mythic+ and good single target heals.

But to answer your question, you will see paladins around, but to separate yourself from the rest as a good/great pally is on how you take the playstyle.

Finding groups as holy/prot will be easy. Ret, not so much. Rate of finding groups depends on your ability to play after all.

And that falls on that raider I.O. score. Sorta dictates whether you get into a mythic+ of whatever level as it is.

Far as looks, yes. You can definitely separate yourself from the rest. At least no one has bothered to copy me >>;

Hope my opinion is helpful!
Not enough Zandalari ones.
10/27/2018 12:23 AMPosted by Dízzý
10/27/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Cyntherina
...Never make a decision based on FoTM. DK nerfs have already been announced.

That’s some backwards thinking for a myriad of reasons. Additionally, “transmog”, good reading skills. Finally, how long does fotm last for you 1 day, 1 month? I’d request for you to define that acronym but I know you would disappoint :(
You literally defeated your own argument. Lmao.
It's not like it's hard to build up your transmog library. Just play that's fun.
10/27/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Cyntherina
10/27/2018 12:23 AMPosted by Dízzý
You literally defeated your own argument. Lmao.

Disengenous and obtuse make for a bad combination. Lmao.
Yes you will, though is it worth it? Absolutely.

I love paladins more than any other class, so much so I leveled two level 120's.

It's not an easy path to play the paladin.
Paladin tanking is actually pretty smooth when it comes to our mastery coming in. Our lack of haste is a little painful but I think thats true for all the tanks currently. With Re-origination array though you can get back to a decent level of haste and makes raiding with this guy pretty nice.

Now as far as the other specs....well Ret isnt bad but it really feels like a motor that isnt running smoothly. There are times where depending on procs you have nothing to do but auto attack. I really doesnt feel as good as Unholy or frost in that regard but some of the burst ret gets does make up for that.

Holy I really cant speak to as I am always requested to tank and our guild has a glut of healers (including alts atm) so I havent tried it out in awhile.
10/27/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Dízzý
<span class="truncated">...</span>You literally defeated your own argument. Lmao.

Disengenous and obtuse make for a bad combination. Lmao.
I don't know what you're smoking but you gotta tap the brakes. That stuff will kill you if you're not careful. Lmao
That moment when you sacrifice viability or a spot in raids just for transmog