New MacBook Pros Announced at October Even

Mac Technical Support
Will be upgradeable to Vega 16 and 20 GPUs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/apple-to-offer-macbook-pros-with-amd-vega-graphics-starting-in-november/%3famp=1

Was wondering how that would translate to playing WOW - how much would one be able to push the graphics at native resolution with those cards and get smooth FPS?

Thanks!
Apparently these are brand new chips -- no one really knows.
The RX Vega 56 & 64 take their name from some component of the GPU (I forget which at the moment) - literally how many of that component they each have. It's probably a close enough approximation to say this: if the 56 gives you ~ 85% of the 64's performance, these parts should roughly follow. I've heard rumors of just over 3 and 2 peak TFLOPS respectively for these new chips. I wouldn't expect them to maintain that for long - heh.

We'll see.
10/31/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Korvac
The RX Vega 56 & 64 take their name from some component of the GPU (I forget which at the moment) - literally how many of that component they each have. It's probably a close enough approximation to say this: if the 56 gives you ~ 85% of the 64's performance, these parts should roughly follow. I've heard rumors of just over 3 and 2 peak TFLOPS respectively for these new chips. I wouldn't expect them to maintain that for long - heh.

We'll see.

Compute Units, and kinda but not entirely. The new chips (Vega 16 and 20) will have 16 and 20 CUs respectively, but they'll also have a lower clock speed, less memory bandwidth, etc.

People should not expect performance miracles over the current 560X; they still need to fit inside the same thermal envelope.
Hello all!!

I am planning on getting the new MBP with Vega 20 gpu. I'm coming from a 2016 15 inch MBP with only a redoen 460 GPU. I'm running an external dell ultra fine 4K monitor and barely even set wow to 2.

Will the new Vega 20 be a nice boost for me, especially since I'm running an external monitor. And of course will be getting 32 GB ram vs. my 16 GB.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have--)))
11/02/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Vade
Hello all!!

I am planning on getting the new MBP with Vega 20 gpu. I'm coming from a 2016 15 inch MBP with only a redoen 460 GPU. I'm running an external dell ultra fine 4K monitor and barely even set wow to 2.

Will the new Vega 20 be a nice boost for me, especially since I'm running an external monitor. And of course will be getting 32 GB ram vs. my 16 GB.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have--)))

Yeah I wish the 2018MBP I ordered would have had the Vega built in, but at this point I am using the blackmagic eGPU, and it’s been great. I think I will be ordering the blackmagic pro egpu, with the Vega 52, as it looks like another nice performance bump, and for what I do work wise and game wise it will be worth it.

The 2018MBP is a great machine! You will love it.
Ty Gurukaos.

However do you think the new Vega 20 coming in the new MBP will be enough on its own to run wow pretty well.

I don't really want to get an egpu at this point.

Thanks--)
11/02/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Vade
Ty Gurukaos.

However do you think the new Vega 20 coming in the new MBP will be enough on its own to run wow pretty well.

I don't really want to get an egpu at this point.

Thanks--)

I have the 560X in my 2018MBP i9, and it runs WoW completely fine... I am sure the Vega 20 will do better than the 560X that is for sure.

Directly from Apple's MBP site.

"The 15-inch MacBook Pro now offers Radeon Pro Vega GPU options — the first discrete mobile Vega GPUs in a notebook. Featuring the same graphics architecture used in iMac Pro, Vega delivers an enhanced compute engine and utilizes High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2). HBM2 doubles the memory bandwidth to the GPU while doing so at considerably lower power, so more of the graphics power budget can be used by the GPU itself. The result is significantly faster graphics performance — up to 60 percent faster than the Radeon Pro 560X — for tackling demanding video, 3D, rendering, and compute workloads."

Just the eGPU is better, as it is a desktop class video card, and typically more memory. in 10.13 you needed a monitor, in 10.14 you don't need a monitor anymore, but I also prefer to play on a much bigger monitor. Either I am sure you will love the computer
Gurukaos, reminder I'm using an external 4K monitor.

With my MBP using radeon 460 card, I can barely play with all advanced settings off and at level 2 graphics. In raids and LFR I have to go to level 1 graphics.

Unless I have it set up very poorly.

but getting 60 FPS is almost impossible in raids