Prot AOE threat generation

Paladin
I can't hold threat aoe. At first I thought it was my 340 weapon but I've finally got a 370 with socket and I still can't hold threat.

I'm laying down concecration spamming hammers and shields. So i swap to tab targeting judgements and on one target it will take me up to 5 globals sometimes to get the add to swap over without a taunt.

Dungeons that give me issues:

temple orb room.
Tol Dagor first boss the drone adds.
and others.

prot is my offspec but I tank level 10's for my guild when the raid tanks don't wanna do dungeons.

thanks in advance.

PS: does shield of the righteous generate threat? thanks!
PS i use the talent azerite build where judgement has 2 charges and shield procs grant a charge of judgement. tabbing these charges seem to be better than AOE threat generation. just wondering if this is intended or if my AOE rotation is lacking.
If you don't have Tricks or MD available to you, you have to take blessed hammer as Tier 1 or your DPS will die. Use SoR as both a threat generation tool and mitigation. Mastery means more for your overall damage than STR, but you should always have 2 STR trinkets. Take the one with increase GC proc chance for Tier 2, Gridrunners Gaia is your BiS helm (IMO) for the Inspiring vanguard trait, and try to have 1 Archive and 1 Soaring Shield, cycle AS as well as judgment. Keep in mind Haste/Vers are your main stats for M+ kite tanking, Haste/Mastery are BiS face tank and raids. Take the Righteous Protector trait at lvl 100 and use wings as often as possible.

AoE threat as prot is an uphill battle and the only tank in the game that struggles with it, prot warr just Tclaps, bear exists and Blood well.. blood boils. Prot does not have a kit that generates decent AoE threat at all, SoR hits like a wet noodle, I'm 375 and my conce does 3.1K over 12 seconds, and my blessed hammer hits for like 900. You just can't put out the numbers other tanks can and you dont have actual AoE burst just wings+normal rotation,

Prot pala dmg scaling almost doesn't take the weapon into account, I have a 385 version of the mace from AD and i don't notice, I wouldn't notice if i had a 360, I might at a 340. We just have to wait for blizzard to get in one of those calculators that are apparently backordered since vanilla.
Oh and also Goodluck
Shield of the Righteous does a lot of damage/threat in a cone in front of you. I used a charge or two for snap aggro.

Consider dropping Righteous Protector for either other trait.

Are you running with a Boomkin by any chance when you lose threat?
Wow, this is truly woeful, the once proclaimed AoE tanks are now struggling with AoE threat, that, is truly horrific.
I'm pretty sure that the mods you mentioned all have fixate mechanics. Especially the orb guardians in temple of Sethraliss (and the "normal" mobs are just a nuisance, they almost don't do damage in that part).
Soaring Shield as and azerithe trait is also really good since it will give you and aditional enemy hit with Avenger's shield.

By the ways, Shield of the righteous is great for AoE damage and aggro (use two charges if needed to spike damage on pull and save a third for damage mitigation) and you might whant to give a try the Last defender talent, the biggger the pull, the bigger your damage done.
I feel like prot was balanced around the artifact trait in legion that made avenger's do a little aoe every time it bounced. Between losing the trait, seraphim (because its on the gcd) and m+ trash being harder in general prot feels really bad right now outside of raids.

Also weapons turning into stat sticks now might have something to do with it, it just feels aweful to m+ now.
11/01/2018 01:20 AMPosted by Zaby
I'm pretty sure that the mods you mentioned all have fixate mechanics. Especially the orb guardians in temple of Sethraliss (and the "normal" mobs are just a nuisance, they almost don't do damage in that part).
Soaring Shield as and azerithe trait is also really good since it will give you and aditional enemy hit with Avenger's shield.

By the ways, Shield of the righteous is great for AoE damage and aggro (use two charges if needed to spike damage on pull and save a third for damage mitigation) and you might whant to give a try the Last defender talent, the biggger the pull, the bigger your damage done.

I cant talk for paladin tanking yet but I can say call ditto to what is said here. Even on my VDH those mobs give the same issues. It's because blizzard designed alot of mobs this expansion to not have a threat table at all almost. Fixates on a ton of dungeon boss adds. If a boss has adds odds are those adds dont have a threat table for you to try and manipulate at all.
SoTR is my usual follow up to AS and Judgement when pulling packs. Seems to work fine. I don’t use hammers often either. Just holy shield for first tier. If one gets loose I taunt and judge and it’s mine for the remainder of the fight.
I've tried everything mentioned here.

I have a 385 tank weapon now off mythic fetid.

still can't hold threat.

the only thing I can get to work is taunt on cooldown and tab target judgement speccing into to 2 charges of judgement and getting back a charge off avenger's shield procs and i stack 2 of the azerite traits that buff that proc chance.

it almost feels intended but i hope it's not.

i really hate tabbing judgement charges when I should be pulling threat AOE.
I should mention the recent fiasco I was running with double mage and having them stack on me and pulling everything in the room of 2nd boss underrot.
have not a single issue with threat management in heroic raiding or high single digit mythic+

usually just shield, consec, hammer, judge, repeat

grand crusade azerite helps a bit with shields flying everywhere
11/11/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Wetrobrute
have not a single issue with threat management in heroic raiding or high single digit mythic+

usually just shield, consec, hammer, judge, repeat

grand crusade azerite helps a bit with shields flying everywhere

i'm talking strictly aoe.

single target is fine.
10/31/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Séniorbubble
If you don't have Tricks or MD available to you, you have to take blessed hammer as Tier 1 or your DPS will die. Use SoR as both a threat generation tool and mitigation. Mastery means more for your overall damage than STR, but you should always have 2 STR trinkets. Take the one with increase GC proc chance for Tier 2, Gridrunners Gaia is your BiS helm (IMO) for the Inspiring vanguard trait, and try to have 1 Archive and 1 Soaring Shield, cycle AS as well as judgment. Keep in mind Haste/Vers are your main stats for M+ kite tanking, Haste/Mastery are BiS face tank and raids. Take the Righteous Protector trait at lvl 100 and use wings as often as possible.

AoE threat as prot is an uphill battle and the only tank in the game that struggles with it, prot warr just Tclaps, bear exists and Blood well.. blood boils. Prot does not have a kit that generates decent AoE threat at all, SoR hits like a wet noodle, I'm 375 and my conce does 3.1K over 12 seconds, and my blessed hammer hits for like 900. You just can't put out the numbers other tanks can and you dont have actual AoE burst just wings+normal rotation,

Prot pala dmg scaling almost doesn't take the weapon into account, I have a 385 version of the mace from AD and i don't notice, I wouldn't notice if i had a 360, I might at a 340. We just have to wait for blizzard to get in one of those calculators that are apparently backordered since vanilla.

If your trouble is aoe threat and m+ last defender is 100% the way to go stacking dmg buff and dr. also the KR helm if you can get it is the best for m+ get soaring shield traits. (as long as you have 1 Vanguard.) prot does not struggle with aoe threat at all..... as long as you have proper traits. as for the tol dagor boss. get your group to stack in closer to the boss before the adds spawn helps alot.
I can honestly say i have never had trouble with AoE threat in mythic+, the only tips i can make are 1. always stand in your conc(it makes many of your single target abilites aoe), 2. traits, traits for mythic+ differ from traits you want for raiding.

i usually avenger the group conc down and make sure all the mobs are inside "the cone"
How high are the dps pulling off you ? Wondering if they need to give you three seconds then unload if they are really high. I have not had any threat issues since I switched to Paladin tank vs Druid.
Get a rogue/hunter in ur grp to tricks/md.

A boomy to spawn trees allows you to focus the pack to build threat.

Cast shield for opener on cd followed by consec. Double hammer the pack.

Talent for aoe slow on consecrate. If mobs run away your shield shld be off cooldown from ur hammer spams. Or judge and taunt individually.

Last defender always, avenger shield talent and first row holy shield. Everything else sucks for building threat. Azerite traits you will want one soaring shield and one vanguard.

I only have problems from bladestorm.
I’m honestly not so great at PLD’s but i have absolutely no problem holding threat. I use the Trait that lets my AS jump to another target and i also have the Trait that allows my GC to jump to 20%
I then slot the talent that adds an extra 10% on GC for a total of 30% and i also slot the talent “Redoubt” or somthing like that for a total of 5 Jumps. (If running mythics and pulling smaller groups then take holy shield talent because 4 jumps will suffice).
Other than that then i just spam shield and the orher Aoe’s that i have.
Then again i’m bad at this game ao take this with a grain of salt.