My Idea for a Windwalker Resource Redesign

Monk
I know this will never happen, I just came up with this for fun. Though the more I thought about it the more I wished for it! Apologies for the long post. Just wanted to get it out of my system, been thinking about it for a couple days and felt the desire to share.

Currently WW as you all know is based on Energy and Chi. You spend energy to gain Chi, and spend Chi with your three heavy damaging abilities. It's more or less the same thing that rogues do with some key differences but it's not far off from Combo points. So this may just be more of a flavor change, but also a functional change.

I would like to remove Energy and Chi entirely from the WW Monk and replace them with a Balance Meter for Yin and Yang, the abilities would change to no longer cost either but instead would generate one or the other. (Yin and Yang are obviously the real world versions, Blizzard can use different terms for their own that match the Pandaren culture) For example:

Tiger Palm: Deals Damage and generates 15 Yin
Fist of the White Tiger: Deals Damage and generates 20 Yin
Chi Blast (Now baseline): Deals Damage to Target and all targets in a line, generating 5 Yin for each target hit up to 15

Blackout Strike: Deals Damage and generates 10 Yang (Tiger Palm proc changed to reduce cooldown of RSK and FoF by an additional second)
Rising Sun Kick: Deals Damage and generates 20 Yang
Fists of Fury: Deals Damage to your primary target and 50% of that damage to all other targets in range, generates 4 yang per tick

Your resource bar can have a Maximum of 100 Yin and Yang combined, so you can have 50 Yin and 50 yang, or 40 Yin and 60 Yang, etc. Any time you generate one, it takes away from the other. So if you are at 50/50 and you use Tiger Palm, you go to 65 Yin and 35 yang, if you use Blackout strike after, you go to 55/45

With this change comes A new buff and a brand new Mastery!

New Buff - Harmony: You have achieved balance, Your Yin and Yang are within 20 points of each other (so anywhere between 40 Yin / 60 yang, and 60 yin / 40 Yang.)

New Mastery - Inner Peace: Gain X% Damage (Scaling with mastery stat) When you are in Harmony, this effect is reduced by 2.5% For each point you are out of balance. If you have Harmony, then you get the full effect. If you slip to 30/70 or 70/30 it's reduced by 25%, 20/80 or 80/20 would be 50%, etc... down to 0% of your mastery damage if at 100 of either. This doesn't mean your ability would deal 0 damage, it would just not gain benefit from mastery.

This would have a similar effect that Combo Strikes has, encouraging us to not spam one ability over and over again, while also making it so we have the ability to always be doing something. The cooldowns and damage of the current abilities wouldn't be changing. But the flavor and downtime would. So an example would be...

Starting at 50/50 for every fight, I'll show the ability and the resulting Balance change. As a note, our major abilities like Xuen, ToD, and Karma, would not cost either, but would be affected by the Mastery at the time of cast so I will not include those, just use them as you normally would have.
Ability Name - Resulting (Yin / Yang)

0. Start Fight (50/50)
1. Blackout Strike (40/60)
2. Fist of the white Tiger (60/40)
3. Rising Sun Kick (40/60)
4. Tiger Palm (55/45)
5. Blackout Strike (45/55)
6. Tiger Palm (60/40)
7. Fist Of Fury (56/44) -> (52/48) -> (48/52) -> (44/56) -> (40/60)
8. Tiger Palm (55/45)
9. Chi Blast (60/40)
9. Rising Sun Kick (40/60)
10. Tiger Palm (55/45)

This also allows for new talents as well, or at the very least talent changes. These are just some examples, as others would have to be replaced as well such as Hit Combo since that is no longer our mastery.

Whirling Dragon Punch: - Can only be used when in Harmony, no longer tied to the cooldown of RSK or FoF, does not generate Yin or Yang

New Talent - Find your Center (Replaces Energizing Elixir): Look inside yourself to find your balance, instantly restoring your Yin and Yang to 50/50 and your next 2 generators will not generate Yin or Yang. 1 Minute Cooldown

New Talent - Calm Mind (Replaces inner strength): Your mind is balanced and at ease, you take 10% reduced damage from all sources when in Harmony.

Our other abilities that do not cost resources currently would remain unchanged. We would still have our Stun, Roll, Paralyze, etc... and would remain as they are.

This about concludes my idea. I just thought it would be neat if WW Monks had a cool flavor attached to them.

Thanks for reading!
Epicc! If only blizzard was less lazy with their class design then you were to write this post we would be getting some where. Great idea!
11/02/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Omnipotentjc
Epicc! If only blizzard was less lazy with their class design then you were to write this post we would be getting some where. Great idea!

Hahaha well thank you. I don't think blizzard is lazy though. Just have a lot more to think of than 1 spec of 1 class in 1 game.

Glad you liked it :)
11/02/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Badgerlord
11/02/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Omnipotentjc

Hahaha well thank you. I don't think blizzard is lazy though. Just have a lot more to think of than 1 spec of 1 class in 1 game.

Glad you liked it :)

They worried about nerfing it into the ground just fine.
This is actually really fascinating. I’m no expert, so I can’t come in and tell you if it’s genius and should be implemented or if its crap and wont work at all. BUT i can say this is an incredibly interesting idea and looks super intriguing :) i love it honestly!
This feels a lot like how Boomkin used to work with their lunar cycle thing except we have control of the direction it goes. Seems interesting, but the logistics need hashing in terms of ability costs. Do we just use abilities at the cost of "balance?" If so, that feels too easy.

Again, this feels like an interesting take on WW just needs to be hashed out a bit more.
If it makes monks feel more fast paced in their combat id be all for it. I always felt like a monks combat pace should be more akin to a fury warrior. I like my monk but I feel more like a brawler than a monk.
11/02/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Yangxiaolóng
This feels a lot like how Boomkin used to work with their lunar cycle thing except we have control of the direction it goes. Seems interesting, but the logistics need hashing in terms of ability costs. Do we just use abilities at the cost of "balance?" If so, that feels too easy.

Again, this feels like an interesting take on WW just needs to be hashed out a bit more.

Of course, where i actually attempting to implement this it would go through multiple design phases. This is just a rough draft with numbers thrown in to demonstrate what I was thinking as a whole, it would require tweeking and such.
11/02/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Rallos
If it makes monks feel more fast paced in their combat id be all for it. I always felt like a monks combat pace should be more akin to a fury warrior. I like my monk but I feel more like a brawler than a monk.

Mmm that's a good point, a monks attacks should flow from one to the other rapidly. Maybe... Lower the damage on the abilities but reduce some of the Cooldowns and gcd by a bit, since with my idea energy would be gone that could be something that would speed things up without giving us godly dps.