100% confirmed sharding isn’t staying.

Classic Discussion
Straight from ions mouth it’s just there to help a smooth release then eventually once things get going, remove it. So there ya go :P
I WANT THE STARTING ZONES TO BE A CLUSTER !@#$

NO - SHARDING
Why does it have to be a "smooth release"? Why are some warts okay and others aren't? Let it be laggy as !@#$. Let it be classic. Phasing is honestly an affront to the experience.
It's just a demo guys
it's just an Alpha guys
it's just a Beta guys
it's just the first month guys

DO NOT GIVE THEM AN INCH
Ion just reiterated what Lore said yesterday: They might use it in the early days of Classic to address population surges.

That doesn't make us feel better about it =P
In one breath he says sharding is antithetical to the Vanilla philosophy and then followed that up with 'But we're going to use it anyway'. I don't care what limitations they put on it (and I don't trust them to not use it beyond launch anyway), but any sharding and I'm probably not playing Classic.
100% he just confirmed sharding you idiot

*oh it's just there to "help" during release*

*oh it's just there to "help" when too many people go in a zone*

*oh it's just there to help reduce load when the AQ gates open*

I don't understand why blizzard despises their fans

WHY DO YOU HATE US BLIZZARD?
response from lore.

"As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you."

my interpretation is that the first few weeks of classic will have sharding, thats it.
isnt classic wow on another team. not ions team. please tell me ion has no control over classic.
11/03/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Ughash
Straight from ions mouth it’s just there to help a smooth release then eventually once things get going, remove it. So there ya go :P
Yeah that's still a naw from me dawg. If Blizzard adopts the policy that making use of such an abhorrent tool is justified in special cases, what's to say they won't decided that other situations down the road also justify breaking the vanilla experience?

I'm not coming into this expecting a game that runs as smoothly as modern WoW.

That's kind of the point.
So basically some people on these forums are saying;
"If WoW launches in playable condition, we won't play it!"
Yea they also said they were going to recreate the vanilla experience, I don't remember any sharding in vanilla.
You are so naive.

This !@#$ will stay. They dont care.
11/03/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Morbyd

Yup. apparently. Wont bother me. Ill be making my character as soon as classic is released to the general population.
11/03/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Paingame
I WANT THE STARTING ZONES TO BE A CLUSTER !@#$

NO - SHARDING

blizzard and players intresting in level progression don't. there will be plenty of time to communicate and build community.
11/03/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Dreamteam
isnt classic wow on another team. not ions team. please tell me ion has no control over classic.

He is part of it yes.
Did vanilla WoW launch in a playable state?
if its just for starting area i cant say im happy but its not a deal breaker for me. I get people being upset bout it but i still wana play classic and to many p servers ive played on are corrupt or shutdown so if i have to deal with sharding just in starting zone ill work through it
11/03/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Blazegreen
100% he just confirmed sharding you idiot

*oh it's just there to "help" during release*

*oh it's just there to "help" when too many people go in a zone*

*oh it's just there to help reduce load when the AQ gates open*

I don't understand why blizzard despises their fans

WHY DO YOU HATE US BLIZZARD?
Yeah, lets call someone an idiot for misinterpreting something....
11/03/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Zarinan

Yup. apparently. Wont bother me. Ill be making my character as soon as classic is released to the general population.

Perhaps we can meet up and make a guild called The Order of the Shard.