100% confirmed sharding isn’t staying.

Classic Discussion
11/03/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Aranhod
11/03/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Morbyd
So basically some people on these forums are saying;
"If WoW launches in playable condition, we won't play it!"
Did vanilla WoW launch in a playable state?

Did Vanilla WoW have potentially millions of players trying to funnel through the starting zones?
*eats popcorn* mm this is good.
11/03/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Morbyd
11/03/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Zarinan

Yup. apparently. Wont bother me. Ill be making my character as soon as classic is released to the general population.

Perhaps we can meet up and make a guild called The Order of the Shard.
Good luck meeting up if you're on different shards.
11/03/2018 04:21 PMPosted by Velossena
Did Vanilla WoW have potentially millions of players trying to funnel through the starting zones?

...yes?

It was an enormous cluster !@#$ on day one. I doubt we'll get some of the more meme-able issues like loot surfing back, but yes it was nearly impossible to play because the servers were getting crushed by an absolutely enormous wave of players.

On my server we literally formed orderly lines to kill certain quest mobs because the servers couldn't handle people fighting over them.
11/03/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Aranhod
Did vanilla WoW launch in a playable state?

Are you willing to pay for the tons of free-time people will request for the downtime and not being able to play the game?

Because that is exactly 90% will care about, even if some strange people like to look at a login screen for hours.

I saw the rage in Cata, I saw the rage in WoD, and I saw the rage in Diablo 3.
11/03/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Mysfyre
Well I'm out. Sharding only fragments the playerbase. You could be right next to someone else, you're both having issues with that mob, but never see each other and as a result never become friends.

ONE SERVER. ONE SHARD. NO EXCEPTIONS.

They say time limited, only at launch, etc, but once it's in; it's permanent and everywhere.

It's clear this game is not what it should have been... could have been... just a re-skinned "vision".

The "vision" they have needs to be dealt with.

WTB Thanos!
shard
noun
a fragment, especially of broken earthenware.

Sharding fragments the community and breaks the reason many of us play MMOs. No sharding. Not now, not at release, not at AQ, not ever.
11/03/2018 04:28 PMPosted by Canamansa
<span class="truncated">...</span>Did vanilla WoW launch in a playable state?

Are you willing to pay for the tons of free-time people will request for the downtime and not being able to play the game?

Because that is exactly 90% will care about, even if some strange people like to look at a login screen for hours.

I saw the rage in Cata, I saw the rage in WoD, and I saw the rage in Diablo 3.

Vanilla WoW is Downtime: Running Simulator: The Game. If people will complain about a laggy and overpopulated launch, they won't make it past Lv 30.
11/03/2018 04:04 PMPosted by Práystàtion
It's just a demo guys
it's just an Alpha guys
it's just a Beta guys
it's just the first month guys

DO NOT GIVE THEM AN INCH

Past history shows this, I'm not happy with sharding. Based on Blizzards actions in the past that repeated the quoted situation multiple times over the years I don't believe em.
Anyone thats played retail in recent years knows that its not going away if it ever gets in
1 world no sharding. Blizzard can act like humans instead of corporate entities and be honest saying servers will be crazy at launch, if you want to have a smoother experience play a little after the initial rush.

I hate having to keep bringing up private servers but multiple have launch 10-13k population launchs for ONE server and while it was nuts at first, it smoothed out overtime without adding shards and having half your population hate you for it.
Sharding in action: https://youtu.be/yPrVem9_Swk?t=18

This is what they think is good. They unironically think that seperating the community purposefully - despite the community being vanilla's core experience - is a good thing. They actually think that a game that was designed from the ground up to funnel people together in order to facilitate play and build relationships should not. Experiences are built on bad and good, a complete utopia is utter garbage.

They seem to have forgotten about, server merges, free server transfers, server caps at 2.5k and every other SANE option available to them.
11/03/2018 04:24 PMPosted by Mogar
11/03/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Morbyd

Perhaps we can meet up and make a guild called The Order of the Shard.
Good luck meeting up if you're on different shards.

Shards will be going away after a bit. Also, it may well be that we have the option to switch shards while they're still around.

Here comes that video of the "20000" (really 150) toons all in the same place during Nost's shutdown, completely ignoring the fact that everyone was standing still and doing nothing. A lot different than "20000" people in a starting zone all in combat trying to kill mobs.

Yup. apparently. Wont bother me. Ill be making my character as soon as classic is released to the general population.

Id rather play in a sharded realm getting a feel for the game as it plays than in a 2 hour queue waiting to crash after my character intro.
11/03/2018 04:04 PMPosted by Kai
Why does it have to be a "smooth release"? Why are some warts okay and others aren't? Let it be laggy as !@#$. Let it be classic. Phasing is honestly an affront to the experience.
You want to experience starting zones with:
  • so many players the server crashes and is down during half your alotted playtime.
  • so laggy that you're lucky if you get 5 frames per second.
  • Mobs die instantly or are tagged by someone else when they spawn so you spend the first week trying to get to level 3... and most of that time you're standing around doing nothing in frustration.

Well good for you. But that's not the experience I'm looking for.
So when there is no bottleneck at starting area due to sharding....what will they do at the next hub when everyone is there because they breezed through the starting area? Will the same people who say they dont want the bottleneck demand it there? Then the next hub? and the next? What happens when everyone hits the barens stage? Should we add it there too?
11/03/2018 04:24 PMPosted by Aranhod
11/03/2018 04:21 PMPosted by Velossena

...yes?

It was an enormous cluster !@#$ on day one. I doubt we'll get some of the more meme-able issues like loot surfing back, but yes it was nearly impossible to play because the servers were getting crushed by an absolutely enormous wave of players.

On my server we literally formed orderly lines to kill certain quest mobs because the servers couldn't handle people fighting over them.

Negative ......when it originally launched it had only sold 350k games....not even close to what it will be this go around

I can't wait to be honest, but at least I got BFA and other games to keep me interested.
There is a really big difference between 100-500 people in a starter zone, and 10,000-50,000 people in a starter zone.

Say WoW has several million active subs currently. Classic likely will hit during a content drought.

So people bored are going to check it out. We could have several million people trying to log in for the first week or two. That means either a lot of servers, or tens of thousands of people trying to fit into single zones.

Tens of thousands isn't just a "clusterf*&%k". It's utterly unplayable even without lag.

There has to be some reason here.