100% confirmed sharding isn’t staying.

Classic Discussion
11/03/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Morbyd
11/03/2018 04:24 PMPosted by Mogar
...Good luck meeting up if you're on different shards.

Shards will be going away after a bit. Also, it may well be that we have the option to switch shards while they're still around.

You THINK they will go away, they won't.
11/03/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Morbyd
So basically some people on these forums are saying;
"If WoW launches in playable condition, we won't play it!"

Don't forget the fifty servers Blizzard will have to add to deal with launch population that will be dead six months down the line.
Honestly this project is going to the dumpster, Blizzard has no idea what it means to recreate this game for fans because clearly they are not fans themselves.

Basically just J Allen Brack trying to show how "amazing" modern infrastructure ( NO ONE WANTS THIS CRAP ) is so amazing and advanced and just cant help put put it in classic, its so clear what the classic community wants and they just purposely change major things like this, basically ignoring feedback and the design intent for this project. Blizzard is turning into EA
Oh no! Classic will have 50 billion people trying to play it. What ever shall blizzard do to prevent all 50 billion people from crashing the starting zones? Oh what's that? They can have reasonable server caps, queues, etc.? Wowee a novel concept.

Oh what's that, all the servers are full because there are 50 billion people playing? Spin up more servers to distribute the load. If need be, offer up server transfer or mergers when those 50 billion players turns into 100 thousand.
It might turn out ok. It might turn out better.

But it won't be Classic.

#NoChanges
Heres the video of him saying it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GobXQTf6w
So really this is an argument for:

Either roll up 30-40 servers to handle the influx without requiring sharding. If Nost or Elysium are any indicator, this will turn into about 3-5 populated servers and 35 dead ones.

Which means a deeply fragmented community that will wind up abandoning their servers to coalesce into the super-servers (just like we have today in live).

Or, shard at launch when absolutely necessary so that we can preserve server integrity for the vast majority of the servers life, allowing the tourists to die out without having dead servers that need to be merged.
11/03/2018 06:21 PMPosted by Kooka
There is a really big difference between 100-500 people in a starter zone, and 10,000-50,000 people in a starter zone.

Say WoW has several million active subs currently. Classic likely will hit during a content drought.

So people bored are going to check it out. We could have several million people trying to log in for the first week or two. That means either a lot of servers, or tens of thousands of people trying to fit into single zones.

Tens of thousands isn't just a "clusterf*&%k". It's utterly unplayable even without lag.

There has to be some reason here.

You're talking about people so angry they risked bursting blood vessels over modern aspect ratios. There's no reason to be had, though valiant folk like yourself do try.

Just remember that most people not rage puking over having a game that works haven't actually had reason to come to this forum to yell about it. You can see from the thread and comment counts alone that only an exceptionally thin slice of the future playerbase is posting.
again a liar to bring sharding in the game , sorry i`m done
looking diablo 3 mobile and what is coming for classic i`m done , already very happy to dont get screw of 50$ for blizzcon , i think is the worsy even ever 50$ for this crap , now i have 50$ to buy a nice game i think to use this for Torchlight Frontiers
11/03/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Shamwowguy
11/03/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Morbyd

Shards will be going away after a bit. Also, it may well be that we have the option to switch shards while they're still around.

You THINK they will go away, they won't.

Care to use your psychic powers to give me the winning lottery numbers?
11/03/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Paingame
I WANT THE STARTING ZONES TO BE A CLUSTER !@#$

NO - SHARDING

This. It's part of the F R E S H ritual. I would rather them not even play games with it. I've experienced 14,000 people at once on a launch. I assume these servers will be 5k capped. It ain't !@#$.
I WANT TO CRASH
11/03/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Ughash
Straight from ions mouth it’s just there to help a smooth release then eventually once things get going, remove it. So there ya go :P

Until blue confirms it or they say it in a video, it's just a rumor.
Demo been super fun for me, I honestly can’t wait for classic <3.
They should make a #NoChanges server thats unstable, has 15k pop and forced 200+ ping . All the people whining about sharding can join that and stand around in the starting zone for a week fighting over a single boar kill while the rest of us can join the other servers that shard for a week or two and be enjoying the game with rational people.
Straight from ions mouth it’s just there to help a smooth release then eventually once things get going, remove it. So there ya go :P

If you've been following AAA publisher behavior for the past 15 years you'd know that "because they said so" means less than nothing. They could tell you the sky's blue and I'd advise looking outside to double check.

This doesn't even have to do with Ion being a lawyer, as cheap and easy a joke that would be.
Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Konami, Activision - all have outed themselves as liars. Ubisoft is particularly notorious for it.

I'll believe sharding isn't here to stay when we, the players - NOT the blues or devs - personally datamine the finished product and confirm it.

That's how Destiny 2's little experience scam was uncovered, after all.
That's how No Man's Sky's outright lie about two players being able to interact was uncovered, after all.
How about Aliens: Colonial Marines?
How about anything Peter Molyneux has ever said about anything ever?

Yeah but isn't 2-3 weeks, going beyond a release.
Besides he could always loophole himself out of it.

Release=1 day 2 days at tops
2-3 weeks = past release
11/06/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Glaved
Besides he could always loophole himself out of it.

He wouldn't need to. At this rate they'd just keep it no matter what we think.

Ubisoft didn't loophole its way out of its fluctuating opinion on DRM. They just said it worked perfectly, then later said it didn't, and then later still quietly kept using it. It's fully documented, but they simply hope/pretend most of us forget.

In a general sense, this is why it's important to keep these publisher missteps and overreaches on file and never let the playerbase forget about them.

#ModernWarfareResmasteredWasAScam
Firstly i do not want sharding at any aspect to come into Classic Wow

I'll be mindful and say if we had no choice with sharding being a thing, please make it so sharding will deactivate once we unlock class buffs or maybe even level 15.

I believe there's alternatives to sharding that should be sought out first.
A few options are below.

1. Dynamic Respawning
2. Make it a mess at launch, create memories. All lining up for a single spawn, communities are indeed built from level 1 onwards.

No-one expects a perfect launch, anyone seeing 300 alliance waiting for hogger to spawn or even 300 orc/troll waiting for that scorpion to spawn.
This is what i look forward too with no sarcasm.
We will look back on this and say "I was there"
11/06/2018 10:25 PMPosted by Valdric
They should make a #NoChanges server thats unstable, has 15k pop and forced 200+ ping . All the people whining about sharding can join that and stand around in the starting zone for a week fighting over a single boar kill while the rest of us can join the other servers that shard for a week or two and be enjoying the game with rational people.

Well you should grow up, people asking for their not to be sharding are making in the right.

Just because you want classic to have changes and sharding doesn't give you the right to act like a big baby and insult a group of people.