G'huun LFR

General Discussion
It's poor encounter design outright. KJ had similar problems but at least that was a standalone boss and the final raid encounter and you could say "swirlies" and ping out the most irritating parts. No such luck with G'huun.

This boss is piled in with Mythrax who people seem to struggle with in spite of LFR being a cake walk (don't jump into the hole is just too difficult for some amoebas). I wonder sometimes if it was to encourage people to use the inbuilt voice chat, but ain't no one got time for that in LFR or PUGs in general. No one wants to waste their time actually speaking for screeching randoms in LFR for something that's straightforward if you have 3 IQ points to rub together.
What doesn't make sense is people who have run it on regular/heroic coming in and trashing those in LFR trying it. Better they learn in LFR then mess up your amazing raids right? RIGHT?

Husband spent 30 minutes on LFR Ghuun trying to teach a handful of people to run orbs. So many people left because "WHYA REN"T WE PULLINGLULZ" then pulling themselves. It was kind of painful to watch.

I think, overall, that it's an old game with an older playerbase which wants to pull in younger players. However, in a single generation the mentality of how we opporate and deal with things has changed DRASTICALLY. Therefore, many players don't feel the need to continue on as they have before.
11/04/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Hateoraid
pffftt you should try normal and heroic pugs.. Spent 3 hours trying to pug heroic vectis the other night.

It seriously feels like the overall skill level of the playerbase has declined.

That's because you're horde. You got our best a few expansions ago, and now our worst went over to join you because they heard it was easier.

All that is left on alliance is the middle.
11/04/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Ròwa
Nothing new KJ was hell on LFR as well it's LFR

KJ was hell all around. Never was a fan of fights where one person dead = (usually) a wipe.
what I want to know is

why in the world are you doing LFR this late in the week?

go on tuesday or wednesday, or be prepared for frustration.
EDIT ^^^^ this didn't see it when i first posted this

Look,

If you are going to do LFR, and come on most of us do, it is SOOOOOO much easier the earlier in the week that you do it. I think many raiders do LFR earlier in the week and believe me there are a ton less problems than doing it on a Saturday or Sunday or even worse on Monday.
I saw a random person come over and steal the last orb from the orb team. Almost wiped the raid.
11/04/2018 02:15 PMPosted by Nargìl
It's actually anger inducing how little people actually care about doing the fights properly in LFR.

I'd just LOVE to see how the WoW LFR community would handle a single late-game story-mode boss from FFXIV. Most likely Shinryu (yes, the old dragon superboss from FFV), just because he's a crafty bugger with heaps of mechanics to deal with (somewhat randomly chosen); still, he does follow a few things in a particular sequence:
  • The first thing he does is begin powering up a special attack which can knock you off the platform if you don't run to the fountain (origin of the attack) off one side of the arena (randomly chosen). This gets everyone the first time around, so it'd be hilarious to see.
  • After surviving the add phase and his "super attack", he hits the entire party with a button-mashing QTE. Mash it like crazy or you'll die automatically during the phase transistion.
  • First thing he does after the second phase starts? Charges across the battlefield, hitting everything except two small corners. This his a knockback component, and again can knock you off the edge; especially if you're close but not quite in the safe spot. Ironically, staying near the centre of platform avoids the risk of falling off (for now); though you do take a good chunk of damage and an increased damage taken debuff.
  • Over the course of the second phase, he progressively takes out chunks of the floor (it's a 3x3 square arena, though the centre is indestructible); this is mostly done by slamming his tail onto two sections of the platform, easily avoided but two hits on the same section (other than the centre) will break it off until the attempt is over. This can make avoiding some of his attacks a little tricky to say the least. Attacks include a large tornado in the centre of the arena which knocks back everyone outwards, the charge move every so often, and turning the whole floor into super-slippery ice which will cause you to slide off the edge the second you move a fraction of an inch.
  • This is all in addition to the other mechanics going on, which include "stack up" attacks, "split up" attacks, and heaps of "Dodge AoE" attacks.

Needless to say, it would be downright comical to see how messy WoW LFR's attempts at this sort of boss. To be honest, it's not even that hard , just very gimmicky and loves to see you fall off the edge; normal mode raiders would probably catch on fairly quickly, provided they aren't relying too much on gear.

---

But all joking aside, there is ample reason to avoid LFR in WoW.

It has nothing to do with the rewards, just that the people you put up with tend to be intolerable. If you're lucky, they're nothing more than a bit grumpy but won't complain too much until the job's done.

... if you're not so lucky, you'll probably swear off LFR completely if not outright quit the game after encountering players who are too lazy to even TRY doing the mechanics or berate you endlessly for not playing flawlessly.
The time of week should be irrelevant. Why are time wasters getting in the queue and crapping up the experience for everyone else who just wants it done? Is personal responsibility not a thing anymore? Maybe when WoW was just screeching 13 year olds that might have been an argument, but I'm pretty sure if Blizzard dropped survey statistics it'd be mainly adults who should know better. Doing some basic reading up before going in isn't that hard.
11/04/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Vashtanarada
The time of week should be irrelevant. Why are time wasters getting in the queue and crapping up the experience for everyone else who just wants it done? Is personal responsibility not a thing anymore? Maybe when WoW was just screeching 13 year olds that might have been an argument, but I'm pretty sure if Blizzard dropped survey statistics it'd be mainly adults who should know better. Doing some basic reading up before going in isn't that hard.

It's because later in the week anyone who wanted to do it on their main has already done so.

So it's a lot of alts just at the cusp of the gear cut-off Qing. A raid full of said alts can turn "LFR" into a difficult encounter, especially when many are watching twitch on their other monitor.
11/04/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Hateoraid
pffftt you should try normal and heroic pugs.. Spent 3 hours trying to pug heroic vectis the other night.

It seriously feels like the overall skill level of the playerbase has declined.

11/04/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Chaaka
I think this stuff is fine tbh. it might help some players to really pull up their socks and try to get better.

I think the overall skill level of the playerbase could indeed be declining, due to increased emphasis on boosting and level scaling turning questing into a snoozefest of slowly burning down millions of identical mobs.

People seriously underestimate how long it will take a new player to reach the skill level of a player who has been doing this sort of thing for decades. The idea that a player new to gaming could boost today and teach themselves how to play their class, how to do dungeons, and how to raid tomorrow is way out there.
Look at the bright side, there's so much equivalent (or better) gear available from other sources, that LFR is pretty pointless other than to see the bosses/fights once. No tier gear, the WBs drop trinks like party favors. At most, you need a ring, and if you dual wield, you might need a wep unless RNGJesus has smiled on you.
11/04/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Kooka
It's because later in the week anyone who wanted to do it on their main has already done so.

So it's a lot of alts just at the cusp of the gear cut-off Qing. A raid full of said alts can turn "LFR" into a difficult encounter, especially when many are watching twitch on their other monitor.

Alts and gear aren't the problem. It's the complete inability to do mechanics that makes everything a nightmare. An occasional tank death or missed dps check is one thing you can blame on gear and alt characters, but most LFR G'huun groups aren't even getting that far. Alt runs would have people who still knew the base mechanics of the fight and that's not happening. Instead you get "what's an orb???"
Not having time for a regular raiding schedule != not having an interest in learning fights. The draw of LFR for most is not its ease of play, but of access

Oh my God, enough of this time excuse. I'm so sick of people like you. I play 20-30 hours a week during early prog, for mythic. Outside of that, I normally barely put in more than 10-15 hours a week, at a rough guesstimate. It varies week to week.

You can clear heroic in an hour with a good group, normal in less. In an early pug, you could clear at least the first 5 in two hours, tops. At this point, with the gear people are rocking and Array stacks, you could clear at least 6/8 normal at a lowish ilvl in maybe two hours.

Stop playing the freakin victim all the time. We all have lives, we all have jobs, we have families, I work more than half you lazy freaking Americans and I still can put aside time for what I do for fun and love. If you're not down for prog, if you're not good enough to handle raiding, that's ok. No one with half a brain would attack you for that. But Christ's sake, freaking own it.
11/04/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Hrumn
People were saying this throughout Legion, too, yet 9/10 runs I was in went smoothly, or with very little problem. The worst things I encountered were non-English speakers not understanding what was being said, and Heroic+ raiders insulting or outright griefing the raid

The week after I got Argus down, I wanted something to do. So I figured, I'll go in on my 976 bear and tank lfr, maybe make their day. Be extra patient, help people, make it all just a tad easier, etc.

I was trying to make PK portal groups and they facepulled because I was taking too long. They wiped twice on that boss and refused to stop and listen to me.

This is LFR, every week, like clockwork. I have never not had a negative experience when I get the urge to try and help out.
No
11/04/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Felisferalis
People seriously underestimate how long it will take a new player to reach the skill level of a player who has been doing this sort of thing for decades. The idea that a player new to gaming could boost today and teach themselves how to play their class, how to do dungeons, and how to raid tomorrow is way out there.

Yet people do it. During Warlords we picked up a brand new player who had been playing for less than 3 months. Gave him a shot in Mythic Hellfire Citadel and he did great. We even gave him a key responsibility (managing fire) on Archimonde.

People who are new to the game can very quickly get up to speed and excel. The problem is that they have to want to do so, and Blizzard is doing everything they can these days to discourage players from playing well, to discourage players from joining guilds and making friends, and to discourage players from doing harder fights.

There's nothing wrong with the players. The problem is Blizzard saying, "You don't have to learn."
11/04/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Chaaka
I think this stuff is fine tbh. it might help some players to really pull up their socks and try to get better.

hahahaha thanks for the laughs..

you really think "they get better"?

spoilers: they don't because other people that knows the fight will carry it and they learn nothing.. next week they will queue and wait for someone else.. that's LFR cycle.
11/04/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Tewa
11/04/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Felisferalis

Yet people do it. During Warlords we picked up a brand new player who had been playing for less than 3 months. Gave him a shot in Mythic Hellfire Citadel and he did great. We even gave him a key responsibility (managing fire) on Archimonde.

People who are new to the game can very quickly get up to speed and excel. The problem is that they have to want to do so, and Blizzard is doing everything they can these days to discourage players from playing well, to discourage players from joining guilds and making friends, and to discourage players from doing harder fights.

There's nothing wrong with the players. The problem is Blizzard saying, "You don't have to learn."

I agree with this 100%. It has become a problem in gaming recently that developers don't think the majority of the players can piece things together anymore.