Character Level Squish

General Discussion
They no longer employ anyone with the knowledge, skill or abilities to do a level squish correctly. If they do one, it will end up being such a nightmare more players will quit.
The intrinsic problem with a level squish is how you split old world content and 7 expansions worth of content into much less levels to grind through.

I think an interesting alternative would be to add some class-specific quests at specific level breakpoints (every 10 or 20 levels) that would aid in class fantasy, provide a break from the normal grind, and perhaps ultimately reward a class-specific mount or heratige armor set.
I'd prefer they do what they did with the new races....start at level 20.
I had the rep and the achievement requirements to open up a few allied races, but wasnt interested in bothering. the wife checks my accounts and sees that all I need is to run some quests to finish it up and nagged me till I did.

So I finally did do the LF Draenai and the Void elves just to check them out.

I made a few of the LF's and yeah....tons of fun being able to get right into a playable character that can immediately get into dungeons and can ride a mount.
I found myself creating a number of new characters and having a blast with them.

I would like to see them allow level 20's of ALL the races in the game once a player has leveled any character, not boosted, to 110 or so.
Let me/us who have leveled a character to 110 be able to start any race out at level 20 like allied races so we're not doing that 60-90 minute starting zone run that we've done a thousand times already and I'll bet people are making more new characters.

IF blizzard wants more hours logged in the game, I got a $50 bill that says this would help.
11/05/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Erolia
Realistically, the level squash would really only change the number you see.

LOL. So basically it will take twice as long to even see that number rise.

If they implement it seamlessly, right? Just like the stat squish wasn't going to change anything. Just like level scaling was implemented seamlessly and caused no problems in the game.

No, wait. Some of the things these broke are still broken, and there's no plans to fix them. Actually a lot of people have quit over that.
Lmao stupid bandaid fix. Level squish not necessary. Just bring back abilities and talents rewarded at every level like vanilla
11/05/2018 03:45 AMPosted by Cognyack
11/05/2018 03:10 AMPosted by Handcake
I will quit if there is a level squish. I am pretty sure I am not alone.

Why exactly?

My 120 Monk has 29 abilities in his spell book which includes talent selections. That's roughly 1 ability every 4 levels, except that isn't how Blizzard actually has them distributed throughout the leveling process. And quite a good few of those are passives which don't really impact game play while leveling.

We didn't get any new abilities in BFA. That's 10 levels with nothing but levels for "progress" in a game with level and item level scaled mobs staying the same strength the whole way.

We get our last talent at level 100 which is 20 levels below cap.

Blizzard can cut levels in half down to 60 and you'll have an ability roughly every 2 levels and a talent every 10 making characters feel stronger and leveling feel better even while taking the same amount of time as today.

~60 hours 1 thru 120 with levels coming in fits and spurts is daunting.

~60 hours 1 thru 60 even at a linear pace of a level per hour would feel much better. But it would likely start relatively fast and slow down through the most recent expansions.

The whole "leveling" thing is what people need to wrap their head around: most people are TIRED of leveling.

I can't stomach ever doing a 1-120 again. Or a 1-60, or any type of low level leveling.

I have like 11-12 lvl 110s and only 1 lvl 120. Want to know why that is? LEVELING IS NOT ENGAGING GAMEPLAY.

That is right, this is a GAME. It should be FUN to do tasks that you set out to do, not a JOB. I have spent years doing the leveling part of the game. I am just done with it it.

So if they squish I am done.
11/05/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Caspery
Lmao stupid bandaid fix. Level squish not necessary. Just bring back abilities and talents rewarded at every level like vanilla

Oh no a level squish is definitely needed! Leveling 1-120 without heirlooms, its awful.
11/05/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Sprucewayne
11/05/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Caspery

Oh no a level squish is definitely needed! Leveling 1-120 without heirlooms, its awful.

Lol if they just brought back abilities at every other level and talents at every other level liked they asked, you would have >60 abilities and >60 talents. That's just way more bloat than is necessary. Not to mention it will just keep increasing over time.
No, thanks. I agree with just about everything you said. You lost me at level squish.
11/05/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Hazzulu
11/05/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Sprucewayne

Lol if they just brought back abilities at every other level and talents at every other level liked they asked, you would have >60 abilities and >60 talents. That's just way more bloat than is necessary. Not to mention it will just keep increasing over time.

You didn't read anything, did you.
I don't feel like a level squish is necessary, leveling and exploring the huge world that's been created over 15 years I think is fine. Though I do think it should be easier/faster to level *if you want it to be* without having to pay for a boost.

Now, and Blizzard agrees, the max level leveling system definitely needs help. No new talents, no new abilities, nothing. Azerite wouldn't feel rewarding (even with good traits) imo. There needs to be something else while leveling. It certainly doesn't help of what they had to go through with Legion. Losing artifacts, legendaires, AND tier. That's a whole lot of stuff to lose and they definitely did not succeed with baking enough of that stuff back into a lot of classes. That makes BfA feel way worse than any other expansion would have if it didn't get new talents or anything.

I understand the concerns with ability bloat, I understand wanting to make sure classes feel good/bad at things. So how does Blizzard make that leveling process rewarding on the power/progression end?

1. Perks for abilities. They can give us permanent enhancements for already existing abilities. They did this in WoD (but holy $%#& I swear if they take away stuff just to give it back as perks, lord help me) but it was a decent idea assuming it truly adds to abilities and doesn't just give back things they take away.

2. There needs to be a new talent row. Make it utility based? Buffs like we saw on various Legion artifacts tied to abilities?

3. You can still add new abilities. They've pruned the game a lot, there is space to add abilities in limited ways. I think they can add abilities without just creating things that shore up weaknesses as well, since that seems to be a big thing for them now is making sure classes don't become the best at everything.

4. I like the idea behind these expansion long items. The cloak in MoP, the ring in WoD, artifact in Legion, the Heart in BfA. Introducing something like that from the very first quest of a new expansion and allowing it to grow immediately with you as level I think feels good.

I think the main take away here is we just need to get *SOMETHING* while we level. I'm fine with my stats going back down, I'm fine with my awesome tier bonuses (or whatever) not being very good at the new max level. But our baseline character needs to IMPROVE in some meaningful way every time we level.
11/05/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Catastrophus
I think 100 is a fair stopping point. After that maybe just have paragon or ilevels.

ESO champion system is brilliant. You hit level cap and then have an account wide paragon system. The stat points you get are negligible enough to be OP for each skill you spend in but do enough that you notice a difference every so often.

It gives you something to work towards and if you arent a min/ maxer it allows you to try new builds.

I like ESOs class system and its post level cap progression. You get to make your character your own or you can follow a build template if you so desire.
Imagine questing the entire week just to gain 5 levels

That sounds tedious not rewarding
Buff the xp you get, if you want to use heirlooms by 10, or 15% on each loom equipped, and call it a day is what I would like to see. To make up for the loom stat nerfs. No need to squish levels.
Max level should be 100 and at 100 you get into Character progression levels which say is it’s own talent tree beside your main one. So Legion will be the first 10 and BFA the second 10 levels in this system.
11/05/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Sprucewayne
11/05/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Hazzulu

You didn't read anything, did you.

Yes I did. The guy you quoted specifically called for abilities and talents to be granted at every level. You said a level squish was needed. I agreed with you and expanded on why the idea, posed by the guy you quoted, was bad.
11/05/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Miraxia
I just don't understand why they didn't choose 3 of the 5 gold artifact traits and make them a talent row at 115 or 120.

This.