Void Elves might get High Elf customizations

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 18 Next
11/06/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Azutaaro
That's kinda disappointing
If this happens its gonna pretty much kill the "void" elfs because everyone is just gonna change to look like a high elf.

Not this guy. My Void Elf will stay in her violet glory. Void Elves are several times more compelling and interesting than the generic pasty high elf trope that's been copy+paste for the Nth time.
11/06/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Degas

Not this guy. My Void Elf will stay in her violet glory. Void Elves are several times more compelling and interesting than the generic pasty high elf trope that's been copy+paste for the Nth time.

One of four purple elves unironically calling the only other natural skin tone elf variant a copy paste.
11/06/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Mythlor
One of four purple elves unironically calling the only other natural skin tone elf variant a copy paste.

It's a copy+paste of a generic fantasy trope since LOTR was first written. Everyone and their brother just tries to copy what Tolkien did.

Thankfully, Blizzard isn't. I like purple.

It's a copy+paste of a generic fantasy trope since LOTR was first written. Everyone and their brother just tries to copy what Tolkien did.

Ah yes the intraracial discontent leading to a schism between two opposing ideologies culminating in exile and resentment, multiple conflicts and incidents throughout the years, and in said elven diaspora dividing even further and integrating themselves into human magocratic (Dalaran), plebeian (Stormwind), or cloistered (lodges) cultures and lifestyles while even more of them returned from a road trip to the Nether (Alleria and her rangers) can definitely be reduced to a LOTR trope because they are the only elves that haven't OD'd on some form of magic and have the stereotypical predisposition to shooting with bows.
Ah yes the intraracial discontent leading to a schism between two opposing ideologies culminating in exile and resentment, multiple conflicts and incidents throughout the years, and in said elves integrating themselves into magocratic (Dalaran), plebeian (Stormwind peasants), or cloistered (lodges) cultures and lifestyles can definitely be reduced to a LOTR trope because they are the only elves that haven't OD'd on some form of magic.

Good on ya willfully not quoting the part of my post where I said Blizzard ISN'T copying LOTR to prop up a narrative.

6/10.
11/06/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Degas

Good on ya willfully not quoting the part of my post where I said Blizzard ISN'T copying LOTR to prop up a narrative.

6/10.

Ah so you do agree they aren't a copy paste. Thanks.
11/06/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Mythlor

Nope, 'cuz they're buddy buddy with Orcs and Trolls. Therefore, the Blizzard version of high elves are not a copy+paste.
Giving void elves a light skinned option would be idiotic and short sighted.
If they had done this when they revealed void elves it probably would have been good enough for most people.
A better idea would be if Void elves are able to change forms between their void and high elven forms, like Alleria. That would make sense. Plus we already have a race with the same ability, the worgen.
I imagine this is what the High elf die-hards wanted in their Allied race.

https://i.imgur.com/JWK2RMg.jpg

c:
11/06/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Degas

Nope, 'cuz they're buddy buddy with Orcs and Trolls. Therefore, the Blizzard version of high elves are not a copy+paste.

I mean its still fun you utterly dismissed their point about the High Elves that are still in the alliance and just default to "Blood Elves are High Elves"

It's like when presented with the "There are still High Elves on the Alliance" fact people are suddenly all Mariah and "can't read" lol.
11/06/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Degas

Blood Elves and High Elves are two completely seperate races and factions. If Night Elves and Nightborne are different enough to be considered individual from each other, then High Elves and Blood Elves are more than qualified for the same respect.

It's racist to call a High Elf a "Blood Elf".
11/06/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Êadweard
A better idea would be if Void elves are able to change forms between their void and high elven forms, like Alleria. That would make sense. Plus we already have a race with the same ability, the worgen.
Tbh Worgen failed at that. I really would've liked to have been able to choose which form I fought in. Kind of defeats the purpose of a werewolf if I can't fight in human form. Genn in HotS can fight in both forms and it is very fun and a great concept.
If I had this customization I would use it. Void elves are cool but they’re shoe horned. Alleria should have had a come to Jesus moment with Valleria and the High Elves be the Allied race. Well, I mean High Elves already ARE Alliance.

It was just sheer, foolish, stubbornness and pride on Blizzard to not deploy High Elves.
11/06/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Jawah
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Blood Elves and High Elves are two completely seperate races and factions. If Night Elves and Nightborne are different enough to be considered individual from each other, then High Elves and Blood Elves are more than qualified for the same respect.

Um, High elves and Blood elves are actually exactly the same biologically, this isn't some subjective opinion but official lore. And with the Sunwell lit, and both High elves and Blood elves alike connected to it, it won't be long until they look identical once again. The nightborne were exposed and changed by the nightwell over 10,000 years, while the high elves have only been separated from the blood elves for about 10 years.
11/06/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Talendrion
I mean its still fun you utterly dismissed their point about the High Elves that are still in the alliance and just default to "Blood Elves are High Elves"

It's like when presented with the "There are still High Elves on the Alliance" fact people are suddenly all Mariah and "can't read" lol.

The Silver Covenant is a paramilitary splinter group that rebelled against the legitimate government of their homeland and sought refuge with an enemy state.

Blood Elves are still the high elves of Quel'thalas. They didn't magically become a new species simply because Kael'thas took up a moniker to honor the thousands slaughtered by the Scourge.

The Silver Covenant has only been separated from their homeland by about 10-15 years.

Nightborne and Night Elves have been separated for over 10,000 years.

Blood Elves are High Elves, per Blizzard's own words. They took the generic fantasy trope and gave it a Blizzard-esque spin to it. Just like they do with everything else.

Alliance got their own high elves... they're called Void Elves due to dabbling with Void magic. Deal with it.
That's awesome if they add it! Congratulations High Elf players.
...Blood Elves and High Elves are two completely seperate races and factions. If Night Elves and Nightborne are different enough to be considered individual from each other, then High Elves and Blood Elves are more than qualified for the same respect.

Um, High elves and Blood elves are actually exactly the same biologically, this isn't some subjective opinion but official lore. And with the Sunwell lit, and both High elves and Blood elves alike connected to it, it won't be long until they look identical once again. The nightborne were exposed and changed by the nightwell over 10,000 years, while the high elves have only been separated from the blood elves for about 10 years.

All humans are the same biologically, Infact All the elves would not be all that different. There are differences, and how distant would depend on a lot of things.

But its not entirely that which definces race in wow, in many cases what really defines them is there culture and where they come from. Everything that defines both Void elf and nightborne, as allied races fits for the alliance high elves.

These are all simple, and i think blizzard half Did an alliance race and now are paying for that with player discontent.
If they are going to create a new race out of thin air, they had best put some real effort into it.
11/06/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Degas
11/06/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Talendrion

The Silver Covenant is a paramilitary splinter group that rebelled against the legitimate government of their homeland and sought refuge with an enemy state.

Blood Elves are still the high elves of Quel'thalas. They didn't magically become a new species simply because Kael'thas took up a moniker to honor the thousands slaughtered by the Scourge.

The Silver Covenant has only been separated from their homeland by about 10-15 years.

Nightborne and Night Elves have been separated for over 10,000 years.

Blood Elves are High Elves, per Blizzard's own words. They took the generic fantasy trope and gave it a Blizzard-esque spin to it. Just like they do with everything else.

Alliance got their own high elves... they're called Void Elves due to dabbling with Void magic. Deal with it.

I feel you are responding to two different opinions here.

Personally, I do agree that Blood Elves and High Elves are the same race.

And I believe that is rather irrelevant to the fact they exist as two factions, one in the Horde, one in the Alliance, given this is literally about faction war, an arbitrary biological separation being needed to represent Political factions is kinda nonsensical.

Again, the fact that HE and BE are the same race is irrelevant to the fact that they exist in opposite factions.

And that there are Blood Elves doesn't make the High Elves exist any less, with their own history and context, because to pretend that two groups, ON OPPOSITE FACTIONS WITH DIFFERENT POLITICS share the same lore, is incredibly obtuse at this point.