Remastered AB and WSG

Battlegrounds
While I love the idea of the remaster and new coat of paint that AB and WSG is getting, personally I would have traded that for a new 40man BG... I mean there are two, one from VANILLA and the other from WotLK.
AB and WSG are my favorite BGs, so as long as they do it right and stay true to the original geometry I am excited for the updated graphics. Regarding 40 man BG's, I think they should focus on continuing to improve and balance the existing two before they go about creating a new one. However it does look like Wintergrasp may be coming back as an Epic BG at some point in the future according to the interview posted on MMO-Champion today.
I can see the desire to update them, but honestly, their age is what I like the most about them. In the realm of games, WoW is ancient, and I'd hate to lose that piece of the game that shows you just how old it really is. It's nice to step into the time machine, play the old maps, and show you how far this game really has come in visual aesthetics.

With the old world gone from the game, I really think they need to keep these old maps as they are currently.
11/06/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Moltenhoof
I can see the desire to update them, but honestly, their age is what I like the most about them. In the realm of games, WoW is ancient, and I'd hate to lose that piece of the game that shows you just how old it really is. It's nice to step into the time machine, play the old maps, and show you how far this game really has come in visual aesthetics.

With the old world gone from the game, I really think they need to keep these old maps as they are currently.

Ya I can definitely understand the desire to keep them as-is for the sake of nostalgic value. Going into these BGs does feel like taking a step into the past, and it provides a level of continuity to the game that is hard to find elsewhere.

I think my dream solution would be to treat each of them as one BG with two skins that players can choose between on a game by game basis, but that only works if the geometry is absolutely identical, which I doubt it will be.

Alternatively it would be cool to see "Classic" WSG and AB available in skirmish mode or as a periodic brawl.
Other than the playpen they put for the wsg gy lol.
11/06/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Eldacar
Alternatively it would be cool to see "Classic" WSG and AB available in skirmish mode or as a periodic brawl.

Would it? I personally have no desire to see a brawl that plays the exact same way as an existing map, just with older, outdated graphics.

I'd suggest to those that will miss the old graphics to take some time in the next month to go and take screengrabs of the old maps. These are good changes.

Edit: also, with Classic a year away*, players can relive them in their actual original form soon enough anyway.
11/06/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Bynir
Would it? I personally have no desire to see a brawl that plays the exact same way as an existing map, just with older, outdated graphics.

I agree that if it is just the same game play with old graphics it would feel insufficient as a brawl. Its possible they could add some additional flavor components to it, or it could just be limited to skirmishes and not added as a brawl.

11/06/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Bynir
Edit: also, with Classic a year away*, players can relive them in their actual original form soon enough anyway.

That is a fair point, although I think there is some value to preserving some of WoW's history in the live game as well. On the whole I am happy to see these changes despite the hit to my nostalgia, and I look forward to playing on the updated maps.