No flying until June '19?

Tides of Vengeance PTR General Discussion
11/08/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Brujanna
Oh, I think you understand perfectly well what people mean when they refer to WoW flight as godmode. Just own up to enjoying flight because it trivializes a lot of aspects of the game you don’t enjoy that much.
It trivializes a lot of aspects of the game simply because Blizzard can't design a better system for World Exploration that involves flying.

It's only "god mode" because of the limitations.

Just like having ilvl 960, in BfA would be "god mode" because the game is balanced around having < 400 ilvl.

I enjoy flight because it feels great to sore above, with the freedom to go in whichever direction I want. I don't mind being grounded at the beginning, while questing - but I've seen every part of the two islands. Now it's just me dodging mobs on my water strider, getting to my WQ spot, EB'ing it all to death, and then mounting up again. Rise and repeat.

That's not immersive and still feels trivial.

We've defeated the Nazmir, killed G'huun, and saved the factions... why am I still dodging blood trolls then? That's right, because the game makes storyline progression trivial.
Pathfinder and rep grinds are the reason I just unsubbed. I'm not going to make a forum topic about it, like everyone else, but last time I quit WoW, it took 10 years for me to build the desire to play it again. Let's see how long it takes this time.
11/08/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Brujanna
Flying hurts the game. It’s a godmode-level ability that breaks immersion, as it operates on unrealistic principles (I.e. limitless hovering and no physics) and the world reacts unrealistically toward it.

The Pathfinder achievements are also not particularly burdensome to achieve, especially if you are the sort of WoW lifer who would show up here to complain about quitting over it (which we know you won’t). If you can’t spend a few weeks playing the game the way the developers intend in order to earn this achievement, maybe you don’t deserve flight.

LOL next thing you be saying is as soon as you get on flying mount and go up in air DING grats you finished all mythic + dungeons here is your loot DING you killed world boss here your loot DING you finished all the raids here is your loot DING you finished all W Q here is your loot
Oh, I think you understand perfectly well what people mean when they refer to WoW flight as godmode. Just own up to enjoying flight because it trivializes a lot of aspects of the game you don’t enjoy that much.

It trivializes what is already pretty trivial. And other than relative speed, it offers nothing that Stealth already does... and Stealth is usable in more places, so in many cases it is superior.

There is nothing “godmode” about flight unless you think not-interacting with trivial things is somehow godly. And if you do, then Stealth is beyond godly.
11/08/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Brujanna
If you can’t spend a few weeks playing the game the way the developers intend in order to earn this achievement, maybe you don’t deserve flight.

why do people exaggerate so much? because your argument is weak. the whole reason people are mad is because flight is locked for 8+ months, I wouldn't call that a few weeks.
Pathfinder Part II is coming in Patch 8.1.5
They really should be upfront and release a date for it and not lead players on. This is what causes players to not trust the devs. Lack of communication.
11/08/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Daltanix
I don't have a problem with waiting as long as it doesn't take more than a year. If people would actually work on crap and actually play the game instead of sitting in the capitol city all day, maybe they would be finished by the time it came out. Not only that, you only have to do it once for all your characters.

I think you miss the point. People finish Pathfinder 1 way before Pathfinder 2 even comes out. Most without much effort at all. That means you are done, yet you still wait. It's fake. Artificial. Just designed to mask how much smaller the land masses get with each subsequent expansion.

All flying does is allow you to skip trash while running from one quest area to another. Trash that most people skip anyway by simply riding around it. Trash isn't fun, engaging, or challenging. It's just trash. There is no extra immersion that isn't already available if players choose to immerse themselves by not flying.

So yeah, Blizzard isn't doing it for all the reasons players like to trot out to defend it. They do it to hide how small a world we are playing in, and to add another pacing mechanism for casual players in the open world.
Flying uncovers there ruse that the world is big. When in fact the landmasses are smaller then what is portrayed. It reveals how little work was put into creating it and not flying hides that fact.

I bet you are really fun at parties. The person asked a genuine question, and you've dodged it while continuing to condescend to and insult anyone who wants flying quickly.

I've already unsubbed, and uninstalled, and lack of flying was a huge part of the reason. Why?

Because I remember the Burning Crusade. I remember scraping together gold to get my flying mount, which took me about six weeks. My main was a druid, and in Nagrand there were motes of air that could only be mined while you were flying.

I had hours upon hours of fun soaring around Nagrand collecting these. It wasn't the most profitable thing in the game, but it was profitable, and some of the most fun I've ever had.

I remember the feeling of soaring over Zangarmarsh and just marveling at all the places I'd struggled on the ground while questing. It was amazing, and no other game has captured the same feeling.

WoW could have embraced flying, but have instead consciously decided to build a ground based one. Some of that ground content is invalidated or trivialized with flying which means you can:

Complete world quests faster

Gather mats more quickly

Level alts more quickly

That's it. And that's god mode to you? Dude, most people don't even do world quests any more, and mat prices are already in free fall. I'd love to hear you explain how flying is actually ruining the game, rather than some vague histrionics backed by nothing.

People who want flying mostly want it for convenience. Most of us are fine with Pathfinder as a compromise. Getting there requires you to be revered with all factions, and to have explored the entirety of you maps.

We've been there.
We've seen the content.
Now give us flying.

Pathfinder II is a slap in the face, and exists because their model is that they don't want flying to be useful or relevant in current content.

Contrast that to BC when flying WAS the current content, and the game was built to support it.
With very few exceptions, being in flight requires effectively no care for any other elements of the game, and your character is at no real risk. There are no threats from the air or ground. You can be hovering directly over mobs who won’t do anything. That’s godmode.

If you could fly, but just for a limited time on a cooldown, if you couldn’t hover but had to maintain airspeed, if there were actual threats in the sky and from the ground that actually required care - you know, real gameplay - then it would be more than basically just a cheat.

Complaining about not having flying and then complaining about how flying shows how little work the devs have done is super rich. Y’all must be so fun at parties too! Whining from all sides.
11/09/2018 04:59 PMPosted by Brujanna
With very few exceptions, being in flight requires effectively no care for any other elements of the game, and your character is at no real risk. There are no threats from the air or ground. You can be hovering directly over mobs who won’t do anything. That’s godmode.

Do you consider “pause” or “logging off” to be godmode? ... Because being at no risk and not interacting with anything is pretty much what happens when a game is paused or you are logged out.

Have you ever played a godmode in any game where all it did was allow you to move and do nothing else?

I will never understand how people make this connection. Honestly.

If you could fly, but just for a limited time on a cooldown, if you couldn’t hover but had to maintain airspeed, if there were actual threats in the sky and from the ground that actually required care - you know, real gameplay - then it would be more than basically just a cheat.

Like Stealth... you can stand around all day with no threats and no gameplay other than navigation. I suppose it does have a cool down of a few seconds so sure, give Flight the same cool down that Stealth has. I could live with that if new expansions went live with flight immediately available (like Stealth is).

Complaining about not having flying and then complaining about how flying shows how little work the devs have done is super rich. Y’all must be so fun at parties too! Whining from all sides.

What threats are in the game after you reach max level? The only one I see is if you walk away from the keyboard. Maybe you mean getting dismounted and having to kill a trash mob? Is that a threat? More like an inconvenience.

And once again you completely dodged the question. Let's say that we're willing to buy your 'godmode' argument, and I'm not, but lets say that we are.

You can't fly in dungeons.
You can't fly in raids.
You can't fly in pvp.
You can't fly on island expeditions.
You can't fly in warfronts.

So, again, literally the only place your 'godmode' even applies is in the trivial content in the open world. And, again, you can only unlock flying after you've done all of said content without it.

You understand that right?

Can you put aside your rhetoric long enough to admit that the only place flying even applies is content you've already completed, and only the open world?

In literally every area of the game considered to be competitive endgame flying isn't even an option. Can you refute that? Of course not.

Instead, you'll ramble some more about godmode, avoid answering any of my points, and will dismiss it all as rambling.
Kinda doubt that they will be upfront when the patch is gonna happen. Just saying there not wanting to loose more players that will unsub and wait for it. Blizzcon made them look bad by not announcing anything new in terms of allied races, and having to release content at a later date. When players are growing bored.

Flight isn’t close to godmode.

Godmode means complete invincibility and sometimes infinite resources, i.e energy, mana, rage, etc. If godmode exists in the game, then only the devs have access to it.

FYI, mobs can hit you when you’re flying if you’re close enough and they have ranged attacks, and those hits will deplete your health. Players can also dismount you and hit you while flying. True godmode would render you completely immune to any damage.
11/08/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Släshcry
This does annoy me - it was 8 months from Legion release to when we could fly... and then 5 months later they introduce the no-fly zones of Argus. That was pretty stupid.

As long as they don't release any new no-fly zones, it's fine, but letting us fly for a small window and then releasing new zones where you can't is just dumb.

it's really safe to assume that naz'jatar will be no-fly. they aren't going to invest so many resources and then just have players fly over everything from point a to point b
I think they did it right in MoP, where you got flying when you reached max level. You got the immersion they wanted you to and that was that.
11/10/2018 11:40 PMPosted by Verdinand
11/08/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Släshcry
This does annoy me - it was 8 months from Legion release to when we could fly... and then 5 months later they introduce the no-fly zones of Argus. That was pretty stupid.

As long as they don't release any new no-fly zones, it's fine, but letting us fly for a small window and then releasing new zones where you can't is just dumb.

it's really safe to assume that naz'jatar will be no-fly. they aren't going to invest so many resources and then just have players fly over everything from point a to point b
Check again. The developers stated they built Naz and Mecha with flying in mind.
Once again, that's a limitation of the game development. Even at this point, there's no threat on ground that bothers me. I can outrun basically anything on foot until it loses aggro from me. The only thing being on ground does for me is makes me take longer to get to specific locations and makes me have to sidestep mobs. When I'm in Veng spec I don't even have to dodge because they can't dismount me.