Classic painpoints resolved by addons

Classic Discussion
Just the truth of it

everyone had tons of QoL addons to resolve poor Classic gameplay design

Heck for a LARGE chunk of Classic, your macros could have auto-targeting by various conditions. Healing was incredibly easy with these APPROVED macros.

I see tons of articles that ignore this completely.
At Blizzcon Blizzard said they would happily break any and all addons that conflict with the 'spirit of Classic'.
11/09/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Twidget
At Blizzcon Blizzard said they would happily break any and all addons that conflict with the 'spirit of Classic'.

And I guarantee you that new ones would spring up in their place by the time anyone hit Ashenvale.
11/09/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Ironsides
11/09/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Twidget

And I guarantee you that new ones would spring up in their place by the time anyone hit Ashenvale.

And they will be broken as well.
11/09/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Twidget

You really think Blizzard is going to spend time breaking user made addons that replace DBM/Decursive/DoTimers/NeCB/etc?
11/09/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Ironsides

You really think Blizzard is going to spend time breaking user made addons that replace DBM/Decursive/DoTimers/NeCB/etc?

Since they have already said they would, then yes. All it takes is for them to make minor changes to the API and not only would the original addons no longer work, new ones with the same functions could not exist.
11/09/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Twidget

Since they have already said they would, then yes. All it takes is for them to make minor changes to the API and not only would the original addons no longer work, new ones with the same functions could not exist.

Well, only time will tell. I'm going to bet my money on the min/maxing community over the company that couldn't upgrade the original backpack past 16 slots.
I have full confidence that blizzard willl break all of the automated addons/macros and those ones that emulate stuff that simply do not belong in vanilla. They did it in the past...
I'm all for keeping it as classic as possible.. but I honestly thought they would have moved at least a couple things over such as the quest tracker.
11/09/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Rongente
I have full confidence that blizzard willl break all of the automated addons/macros and those ones that emulate stuff that simply do not belong in vanilla. They did it in the past...

Assuming you mean Blizzard will make us unable to recreate mods like Deadlyboss mods, KTM, decursive, and not mods like...I dunno, you give me some suggestions as to what gamebreaking mods are/would entail, what makes you think that someone won't just use a separate program that they can run in the background to do essentially the same thing?
The add-ons he was talking about breaking I think are more akin to a "group finder add-on".

The newer API already won't let you have add-ons that make spell choices for you like it was in vanilla.
11/09/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Fiddlehead
The add-ons he was talking about breaking I think are more akin to a "group finder add-on".

The newer API already won't let you have add-ons that make spell choices for you like it was in vanilla.

I've seen a few of those on private servers. They never took off because it's easier to just type in /world or /lfg
11/09/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Ironsides

Assuming you mean Blizzard will make us unable to recreate mods like Deadlyboss mods, KTM, decursive, and not mods like...I dunno, you give me some suggestions as to what gamebreaking mods are/would entail, what makes you think that someone won't just use a separate program that they can run in the background to do essentially the same thing?

Most of those mods cant work like they did in vanilla with new API so they will be broken by default and running a background program can be a hassle and/or they just plainly backfire...
The scripting in the original game for macros and addons was way more powerful than the nerfed version that launched in TBC and is still in use today. The OP means addons like decursive where you just click a icon and it autotargets a person in the 40 man raid by itself, and then it casts cleanse on the person as well. There were also macros that would run abilities back to back iirc, with one button press, any addon that even tries to do that in the current game wont work.
11/09/2018 02:40 PMPosted by Kinetics
The scripting in the original game for macros and addons was way more powerful than the nerfed version that launched in TBC and is still in use today. The OP means addons like decursive where you just click a icon and it autotargets a person in the 40 man raid by itself, and then it casts cleanse on the person as well. There were also macros that would run abilities back to back iirc, with one button press, any addon that even tries to do that in the current game wont work.

This. As noted in the blizzcon discussion, they're keeping modern API so they don't have to go through and refix automation addons/security exploits.
11/09/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Ironsides

They broke decursive and healbot-the most cited examples of "hurdur vanilla add-ons played the game for you lul" before Naxx release. Thinking they will allow them back is kind of stupid...
11/09/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Kugsneak
Just the truth of it

everyone had tons of QoL addons to resolve poor Classic gameplay design

Heck for a LARGE chunk of Classic, your macros could have auto-targeting by various conditions. Healing was incredibly easy with these APPROVED macros.

I see tons of articles that ignore this completely.

Wasn't really an addon person. I used raid frames, but that's about it.
I'm all for keeping it as classic as possible BUT! I think they should really add change a,b,c, and x,y,z.

I just love comments like those.

I didn't mess to much with addon's my self. And I enjoyed the experience that much more with out them,