Rune of Not Fun

Mage
Rune of Power not fun, remove it from the game. Blizzard themselves have often stated they dont like “stacking damage buffs”. As long as rune of power is in the game there will be cheesy ways to use it.

Heres an idea. A fun ability called mirror images. When you are fire, if they crit u can get hot streaks. If you are frost other proccy things. If you are arcane u get arcane charges. What a crazy strange idea, something fun and interesting that alters your gameplay.

Also crit is fire mages worst stat and has been for years now, good job developers.
*Yawn* another RoP thread, another day.
11/09/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Failedwizard
That there are still threads being created about how terrible RoP is regardless of how many changes Blizz makes to it 6 years after it was introduced just shows that many players do not like that talent. With MI being virtually useless for PvE you're left with the choice of an un-fun talent, or a non-interactive talent. In my eyes that is poor design as talents should be adding fun to a class not reducing it.
11/09/2018 02:28 PMPosted by Sickmage
When you are fire, if they crit u can get hot streaks.

The DI trait is bad enough. I don't want hard to predict external HU/HS generation desynced from my rotation thank you.
11/09/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Keestus
11/09/2018 02:28 PMPosted by Sickmage
When you are fire, if they crit u can get hot streaks.

The DI trait is bad enough. I don't want hard to predict external HU/HS generation desynced from my rotation thank you.

Thats making alot of assumptions. For one they would need to reduce it to two images and if you used combustion you could nearly spam pyro on gcd through something like that. As it stands how many design options do they currently have? I feel like flame on and fire blast are a bandaid on a greater issue that the spec only plays well if you have 50% crit. Ignite scaling out of control with secondary stats. There are larger reworks that could make fire more fun and not exist in a “unplayable” or “godlike” state. Ive been raiding since 08 and have been fire at almost all times when it has been viable.
We prefer godmode. Melee gets to skip mechanics and be awesome for the entirety of legion.

Our ignite can be the raging monster its meant to be. It doesn't hurt anyone.
11/09/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Tuckletuts
11/09/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Failedwizard
That there are still threads being created about how terrible RoP is regardless of how many changes Blizz makes to it 6 years after it was introduced just shows that many players do not like that talent. With MI being virtually useless for PvE you're left with the choice of an un-fun talent, or a non-interactive talent. In my eyes that is poor design as talents should be adding fun to a class not reducing it.

Yet again another person making subjective arguments against Rune of Power; you don't get to decide what is fun for others, there are many of us who love the post-WoD iteration of Rune of Power that we currently have, it solved the issue of the old version where you had to spend the entire fight in Rune, not to mention that the effect radius is much bigger than it used to be meaning you can still dodge nearly every mechanic while staying inside your Rune, RoP also has 2 charges giving it breathing room in when you use it without taking a penalty for doing so; Arcane also has extra ways to take advantage of Rune.

Also, RoP adds a hell of a lot to Arcane, an otherwise empty spec. If you get rid of Rune of Power and opt to buff Mirror Image then it's going to become even more dumbed down then it currently is.
I have a feeling that the venn diagram of players that don't like rune, and players that keyboard turn/click is just a circle at this point.
I like rune of power and always enjoy using it when fire is my spec. Lining up the timing for combusts is part of the challenge and fun.

You got to make those combusts count.
11/09/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Twitchyk
I have a feeling that the venn diagram of players that don't like rune, and players that keyboard turn/click is just a circle at this point.
I don't really like it
11/09/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Glowball
I like rune of power and always enjoy using it when fire is my spec. Lining up the timing for combusts is part of the challenge and fun.

You got to make those combusts count.

Ya? Why arent you using it right now then in your current frost build if it is so fun?

Before you say it sims lower, because you are going to, now we know what really determines your choice. Not fun, but which talent performs better. The talent rows arent even close when it comes to the math so it isnt a choice between how u want to play, it would be a massive dps loss to play the way that is more fun
Personally, I hate Rune of Power, and simply never take it. However, I do understand that mine is far from a universal opinion. My problem with RoP is that it is too often the best option by far. Mirror Images is garbage, and hasn't been touched for years and Incanter's Flow is usually less damage, with maybe Frost spec being the outlier.

Just make the other two options competitive. They'll never be equal, but at least make them close.
I dislike it too, but at least it’s not as bad as prismatic crystal (I called it “summon target dummy”). FFXIV mages have to deal with Rune of Power too. It’s calll Ley Lines which is the exact same thing sadly without any alternatives
I hate RoP, it has nil interaction with an already simplistic spec. Outside of "can I use it without getting interrupted completely by a mechanic", "do I have any cooldowns lined up with it" and "do I have the mana to really take advantage of it", it's a very dull talent.

That being said though, it does have a fairly high skill check because of the conditions listed above and provides some enjoyment to those looking to execute the perfect burn.

I think RoP is incredibly boring because arcane itself is incredibly boring. Damage buffs don't necessarily change game play and that's likely one of the problems that folks see with RoP, it's just a thing you stand in that buffs the boring thing you do, and it makes RoP the perfect patsy when in reality, the real issue is not just one spell.

Arcane suffers from the lack of engaging core mechanics, especially this expansion and I believe the only way to improve Arcane as a whole, is to introduce a new spell or spells that inject flavor into the spec, and not try to reinvent the wheel by changing talents(though some need to be brought up to the level of option, but I won't get into that here).

However, we all know the laziness of Blizzard and they will most certainly try to avoid core spec changes. In that apathetic light, Blizzard could simply buff that particular tier which RoP is on. What follows are a few changes I think might provide some semblance of a band aid for the spec, however I would urge Blizzard to not go this route and actually improve the core mechanics.

Incanter's Flow
Requires Mage
Requires level 45

While in combat, you build up to 20%
increased damage and diminishes down
to 4% increased damage, cycling every
10 sec.

At 16% and 20% increased damage,
Clearcasting will not be consumed
when using Arcane Missiles or
Arcane Explosion. It also grants
Arcane Blast the ability to
generate 2 Arcane Charges and
causes Arcane Barrage to
only consume two charges.

----

Mirror Image
2% of base mana
Instant 2 min cooldown
Requires Mage
Requires level 45

Creates 3 copies of you nearby for
40 sec which cast spells and
attack the enemy you are
currently targeting for
20% of your current
spell power.

Every second Arcane Blast, Arcane
Missile, or Arcane Explosion you
cast, will cause each of your
copies to cast an Arcane Barrage
for 25% of your Arcane Barrage's
current damage.

While active, the cooldown on
Mirror Image is reduced by
1 second for every damaging
spell you cast. Arcane Power
increases the damage of your
copies by 30%.

----

Rune of Power
30 yd range
1 sec cast 40 sec recharge
2 Charges
Requires Mage
Requires level 45

Places a Rune of Power on the ground
for 10 sec which increases your spell
damage by 40% while you stand
within 8 yards. Every Arcane Blast
you cast within Rune of Power will
grant you a stack of Power
Unleashed for 30 seconds.

After Rune of Power ends,
Power Unleashed modifies the
following abilities.

Arcane Missiles can be used while
moving. Clearcasting also
increases the damage of
Arcane Missiles by 25%.

Arcane Explosion triggers an
additional explosion after .5 sec for
35% current damage. Clearcasting
triggers 2 additional explosions
each dealing 50% current damage
over 1.5 sec.

Consumes 1 stack of Power
Unleashed.
I would be curious to see a survey for all mages to vote for or against ROP.

I absolutely HATE this talent but if a majority of mages are for it, than it`s ok.

I believe it`s just lazyness on Blizz part not to change this talent for something else.

:)
11/10/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Jacar
I would be curious to see a survey for all mages to vote for or against ROP.
As long as that survey has the question "would you use RoP even if it was a lower damage gain than other talents?" then I'd love to see that too. If players find it fun because of the mechanics of it, then keep it in the game. If they just like it because it produces higher numbers, then replace it.
The inept masses would vote 'yes' to 385 gear from world quests as well, but that's not exactly good design. If everything was put to a poll we'd have raider.io requirements banned, outlawed Warcraftlogs, reduced the difficulty of Mythic drastically to "allow people to see content," made item-level hidden, and RoP would be long gone.

Most people take the path of least resistance and will see anything that requires effort as an obstacle that should be removed.
11/10/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Keestus
The inept masses would vote 'yes' to 385 gear from world quests as well, but that's not exactly good design. If everything was put to a poll we'd have raider.io requirements banned, outlawed Warcraftlogs, reduced the difficulty of Mythic drastically to "allow people to see content," made item-level hidden, and RoP would be long gone.

Most people take the path of least resistance and will see anything that requires effort as an obstacle that should be removed.

If you ignored polling and went by posts... maybe. If you actually polled, none of that would go away.
11/11/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Mageski
11/10/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Keestus

If you ignored polling and went by posts... maybe. If you actually polled, none of that would go away.
i don't know about that. Given anonymity, people will never cease to suprise you. Just look at the profound insanity of the US electorate.
I like rop.
Saving it for my meteors is rewarding for me.

Also, messing up my rop/met/comb combo kills my dps, which makes me more engaged id say.