Rune of Not Fun

Mage
Use Flow if you don't like it. It averages out to a 12% dmg increase. I use it for mobility although people tell me I use it because I am lazy. Either way, we have choice.
11/12/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Nekum
Use Flow if you don't like it. It averages out to a 12% dmg increase. I use it for mobility although people tell me I use it because I am lazy. Either way, we have choice.
It's a ~5.3% dps loss (approx 1.1k) for me. Hardly an option if I want to remotely min/max damage.

If you have ever played this game you would know it isnt a single player game. As a result of it being a MULTIPLAYER game I want you to go into a mythic raid with a suboptimal setup and let me know how long you keep your raid spot.

I really hate it when people make this argument, WELL YOU CAN JUST USE SOMETHING ELSE. No...you can’t. The point is that rop sims so much higher than everything in this and other environments and mages get stuck with this stupid ability. Not one mage wants to stand still in a mythic raid. I should be excited about picking any of my talents, not loathing it. I am not excited about picking rop, or conflag, or flame on. There are more fun options sitting there right next to them but mathmatically they are too worse to bring to raid.
I like rune, it's a bit clunky with all the GCD changes but the difference in player skill shines through with maximizing the charges.
Sickmage, silly to suggest I don't play this game. I was not trying to be offensive. Although WoW for me only began last Feb. I play for fun. If I loath a talet, it will not be used primarily. Under certain situations like all of us I do switch talents.

You did not specify raid specific or even maximum dps. For instance, PVP, which I do 90%, I find that RoP can get you killed faster then running around naked. (I tested this theory, it wasnt pretty)

But my real point is many mages use flow. Not all of us are as concerned with being booted from a raid.

There is no argueing that RoP will provide the best dps if used properly.

No hate, just fun.
11/12/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Sickmage

If you have ever played this game you would know it isnt a single player game. As a result of it being a MULTIPLAYER game I want you to go into a mythic raid with a suboptimal setup and let me know how long you keep your raid spot.

If your argument is that mythic raiding guilds kick dps with sub-optimal set-ups, you may want to re-roll to frost DK since they're out-dps'ing every mage spec right now:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19
Rune blows. It honestly, just seriously blows.

Yeah, it's the "optimal talent" for Mythic. Although, to me, having being stuck inside a circular cage isn't fun for me.
I really miss prismatic crystal :/
It's not going away... people have been complaining about it for years...
11/10/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Tuckletuts
11/10/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Jacar
I would be curious to see a survey for all mages to vote for or against ROP.
As long as that survey has the question "would you use RoP even if it was a lower damage gain than other talents?" then I'd love to see that too. If players find it fun because of the mechanics of it, then keep it in the game. If they just like it because it produces higher numbers, then replace it.

Well, I know a number of mages that play with Incanter's even though RoP is better. I'm one of them. Fortunately, I don't play at a high level, so it doesn't hurt me much.

The issue is that the options need to be better balanced, but Blizzard just doesn't seem to care.
What if ROP granted a self heal or shield so it could be considered a damage buff and have some utility if a mechanic requires movement.

Imaging having another defensive but this one requires you to stand still. Just an idea.
After starting to play with it recently, the rotation feels dull without it now (at least to me). I like that I have to plan and play around it properly. But I can see why people hate it
11/10/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Sickmage
11/09/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Glowball
I like rune of power and always enjoy using it when fire is my spec. Lining up the timing for combusts is part of the challenge and fun.

You got to make those combusts count.

Ya? Why arent you using it right now then in your current frost build if it is so fun?

Before you say it sims lower, because you are going to, now we know what really determines your choice. Not fun, but which talent performs better. The talent rows arent even close when it comes to the math so it isnt a choice between how u want to play, it would be a massive dps loss to play the way that is more fun

I am not using it in frost, because unlike fire frost does not have a 10 second window where it would be really nice to increase an already powerful burst by 40%.

Fire has this when you line up the combustion. Lining up those cooldowns and using them at the right time for a huge burst is the fun part.

You know what isn't great? Incanters flow, the passive damage increase you take when you have a steady unpredictable flow of damage instead of burst windows. It's boring, but you got me on using it in frost because it sims better. Wish frost had gameplay that could use rune of power more effectively.
11/14/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Glowball
11/10/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Sickmage

Ya? Why arent you using it right now then in your current frost build if it is so fun?

Before you say it sims lower, because you are going to, now we know what really determines your choice. Not fun, but which talent performs better. The talent rows arent even close when it comes to the math so it isnt a choice between how u want to play, it would be a massive dps loss to play the way that is more fun

I am not using it in frost, because unlike fire frost does not have a 10 second window where it would be really nice to increase an already powerful burst by 40%.

Fire has this when you line up the combustion. Lining up those cooldowns and using them at the right time for a huge burst is the fun part.

You know what isn't great? Incanters flow, the passive damage increase you take when you have a steady unpredictable flow of damage instead of burst windows. It's boring, but you got me on using it in frost because it sims better. Wish frost had gameplay that could use rune of power more effectively.

It does, here take rune, ray of frost, ebonbolt, ice nova, all of the cds. Drop rune and pop them all one after the other! See! Frost does have gameplay that utilizes rune! I bet that ray of frost will do a ton of damage! Oh wait... you would never play that setup or think to because its probably a 30% dps loss and no sims or guides would suggest it. There is no actual options or different play styles. Math determines what u will play on a given fight.