Experience/Leveling above 100

Returning Player Help and Discussion
I have a mage <------------ (her) in Shadowmoon Valley (WoD) more than halfway to level 98. If I stay in WoD and keep questing in the other areas, will my character go above level 100.

Or, can I go to Legion, play there for a while, and then go back to WoD to resume leveling?

Or does the experience stop at level 100 in WoD?

Thanks for any advice.
You can continue leveling and get the same quest XP but XP for killing mobs in an expansion will be reduced by quite a bit once you hit the expansions upper limit.

So once you hit 100, XP from kills may only be 10-20% of what you would get from those same kills at 99.

I have a 102 doing crating in a wod Garrison that never went to Legion.

I have other characters in that range who went to legion just long enough to get the artifact weapon before returning to WoD.
EXP drops drastically after you reach the area's cap, so although you'll still continue leveling past 100 in Draenor, it'll be slower progress and eventually you'll get little to nothing when everything's grey. I'm not sure how far past 100 you'd end up currently from doing all of the zones, but it'll only be a few levels.

It'll be similar for Legion, and of course the longer you stay there, the more you'll out-level Draenor when you finally return. The amount of EXP needed for each level also increases, so by 110 mobs will be grey and quest EXP will put less of a dent in the leveling bar.
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll stay a little longer, maybe level 102 if that's reachable, and then go to Legion.

Another reason I wanted to stay is that I'm working on my first ever alchemist and need more WoD herbs. That's one of the reasons I'm almost at level 98 in the start zone. Besides quests, a little grinding, and then picking herbs and ore. Those last two, if you commit to really stopping and picking the items when they show on the map, can really push you up.

I'll come back here and report how it went when I'm leaving WoD.

I saw a note the other day about a player who (last year I think) started a new character and is leveling him/her by only picking herbs and ores, and recently finished Legion. He has done no quests so far. Interesting concept.
11/09/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Sixsixxsix
I saw a note the other day about a player who (last year I think) started a new character and is leveling him/her by only picking herbs and ores, and recently finished Legion. He has done no quests so far. Interesting concept.
Lots of people have done things like that. These days you only ever hear about the guy who didn't leave the Wandering Isle or the Ironman-type challenges, but people have been finding creative ways to level since vanilla. Back in Wrath and early Cata I leveled a mage to 80 without using any gear (had to switch from questing to archaeology because Cata mobs were still really over-tuned at the time), and I think my pacifist tauren was around 50 the last time I leveled him in ways that didn't involve killing.

Make sure you get the garrison's garden up and running, it'll provide lots of extra herbs.
Indeed. With a level 2 Garrison and herb garden, there is an NPC near where you submit and pick up workorders that allows you to select which herbs you want to harvest the next day. You can either get random herbs or all herbs of a specific type.

Picking herbs from the garden also gives XP but no skill ups for herbalism. For herbalism skill ups, you need to pick herbs in the wild.

Realistically, once you learn all the alchemy recipes, there is no benefit to continuing to level either alchemy or herbalism in WoD.

There is one player who is level 120 and never joined either the alliance or the horde. He stays in the wandering isle - the Pandaren starting area - and levels by Herbing and mining. You don't pick a faction until you leave the wandering isle.

Back in vanilla, I leveled a hunter to 40 using just level 1 gear but it stopped being fun and I got bored.