"Blizzard listened...

Classic Discussion
...to the community. That's how we got BfA."

Where did this line of thinking come from. I never wanted scaling, pruning, no flying, lfr, lfg, sharding, rng, or any of that.
There is a deep philosophical story to it. People would ask for various things because they would be convenient. The conveniences stacked up. The entire game is one big conveniency at this point.

I think you need to look at the mob mentality as well. Many of the BFA players are like these mindless drones that have no idea whats happening. When classic launches they are going to see guilds break apart, and a vast amount of effort put into BFA halted. Just more mounts and pets. Nothing of any real importance. They will start screeching again. I remember when they had the down vote system, the mere mention of "can we please talk about legacy servers" got you 100+ down votes and hidden post. This forum is relatively untouched. A storm will come though. You will see a mob come.

I didn't' explain it very well. It's a pretty big path that lead to the current game. It's kind of sad.
Remember the event before WotLK was released? How it was ended early because people cried about how inconvenient it was to them? That was where it all started. It was the small hint that Blizz could be swayed if they felt it was a risk to the bottom line. So I don't blame Blizz (for most things). In the end, it is a specific community that lead WoW down the path it went. But if it were not for them, WoW probably would not still be around to this day either. So now we will get Classic and we will be sure that it plays the way it should. Loot trading is not a huge problem, but I will be gone if sharding is still around by time my subscription ends a month into Classic.
11/13/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Dibullba
Remember the event before WotLK was released?

Yeah, I remember how much griefing there was.

How it was ended early

Thank goodness. One of the worst events in WoW's history.
11/13/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Cybertilded
"can we please talk about legacy servers" got you 100+ down votes and hidden post.
You were lucky iof the thread was not deleted.
Remember the event before WotLK was released? How it was ended early because people cried about how inconvenient it was to them? That was where it all started. It was the small hint that Blizz could be swayed if they felt it was a risk to the bottom line. So I don't blame Blizz (for most things). In the end, it is a specific community that lead WoW down the path it went. But if it were not for them, WoW probably would not still be around to this day either. So now we will get Classic and we will be sure that it plays the way it should. Loot trading is not a huge problem, but I will be gone if sharding is still around by time my subscription ends a month into Classic.

Loot trading is a problem Dibullba, if your in a dungeon of 3-4 randoms who are friends and one of them wants the item all he/she will have to do is say, "hey need roll on that I want it" in discord, then they trade it to him/her. It doesn't happen much in BFA because everyone playing is rushing to the end quickly and dungeon finder means they don't need to take friends to do runs. I know you will say to bring my own friends in classic, well I don't have any. I would rather lose to RNG than to favoritism any day.
11/13/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Melaned
11/13/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Cybertilded
"can we please talk about legacy servers" got you 100+ down votes and hidden post.
You were lucky iof the thread was not deleted.

There is a embedded hatred of the enjoyment of the days of Vanilla, TBC, and even Wotlk in the current Retail team. The game become world of mount collecting to me.
People wanted the leveling process shortened so they could run their stable of 10 alts through LFR. I hate to use the term "wrath babies" but most people who started playing during that time or later just...don't get it. They don't get why leveling could be more fun while also being slower.
Because people that were happy with wow were busy playing, while their new target audience were busy trolling the forum complaining and asking for this and that.

Or some AI analyzed the troll and sarcastic posts and created some report with some buzz words and bliz thought that its what players were asking for.
Back in vanilla and bc classes had real strengths and weaknesses. Classes were truly unique and had their own flavor.
These helped cover for other classes and actively encouraged grouping up with others.
Dungeons actually required coordination, cc, and planning.
The same was true with raids. Even Kara back in the day wasn't a pushover.

Then came wrath. Based on Feed back from unhappy players we gutted class uniqueness in favor of balance. Everyone got self heals, everyone got an aoe. Everyone did similar dps. Dungeons were aoe tank and spank get in and out asap fests.
Reputation grinds were trivialized and then to put the nail in the coffin blizzard introduced LFD, removing the need to actually talk to people to form a group.
Remember the event before WotLK was released? How it was ended early because people cried about how inconvenient it was to them? That was where it all started.

There are a lot of people who don't want their gameplay interrupted for any reason. They don't want a living world. They don't want events. They don't want pvp. Anything that interferes with their linear controlled experience is offensive and must be eliminated. Blizzard has catered heavily to these folks in modern expansions.
Remember the event before WotLK was released? How it was ended early because people cried about how inconvenient it was to them? That was where it all started. It was the small hint that Blizz could be swayed if they felt it was a risk to the bottom line.

That's a bad example to use. Inconvenience in a game should come from the game and not the actions of other players. The player should decide to tackle it through their own choice, not the choice of other players. It should also lead to the rewards earned feeling more meaningful because the player negotiated their way through the inconvenience.

The Wrath pre-launch event was an excellent example of the wrong way to insert inconvenience in a game and that's why it was loathed by such a large percentage of the player base. The player was not in control of their participation (short of not logging into the game at all) and there was no reward for dealing with it.

I do tend to agree that player aversion to inconvenience is part of the problem, even if I don't agree with the example you used. But that's a reflection of society today in general, not a game specific problem.
11/13/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Joynal
Inconvenience in a game should come from the game and not the actions of other players.

This is the philosophical pve/pvp divide. Other players impacting my gameplay is a good thing and makes the world far more interesting and alive.
11/13/2018 04:19 PMPosted by Healsalot
I know you will say to bring my own friends in classic, well I don't have any.

Make some. But I do kind of agree loot trading is not really necessary. I never had an issue with loot in Vanilla. Anything level 60+ on Master Loot for blue+ items anyway.
11/13/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Coniferous
11/13/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Joynal
Inconvenience in a game should come from the game and not the actions of other players.

This is the philosophical pve/pvp divide. Other players impacting my gameplay is a good thing and makes the world far more interesting and alive.

There is a huge difference between being ganked by players and what happened with the wrath event, it became impossible to do anything but grind to level for the duration of the event, almost every questing hub and camp was nothing but PVE zombies who would kill you and give you a durability loss death if you even attempted to get or turn in quests.

I remember all of this quite clearly because me and a friend were trying to level new mains at the time, it was beyond moronic as an event. We opted for dungeon grinding, it was THAT bad and still got killed many many times by zombies when we moved between dungeons.

I did have some fun on my main at the time doing the event but the amount of vitriol and profanity that came my way for curing the infected on that shaman was hilarious.

The biggest problem was that far, far more people were interested in spreading the contagion than fighting the invasion.
11/13/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Valeria
...to the community. That's how we got BfA."

Where did this line of thinking come from, because it's abject BS. I never wanted scaling, pruning, no flying, lfr, lfg, sharding, rng, or any of that.

Get absolutely rekt with that [Removed] nonsense.

It was actually the inverse of that thinking that led to BFA.

Many of the changes in WoD that made it bad, and Legion bad, and why BFA could be a lot better.........

Pruning, Homogenization, boring talents that were previously baseline spells, etc, etc.. All this got started in WoD and the entire community (minus a few blizzard fan-boy idiots) were absolutely against it.

Most of the community left the game and the only people left playing are the dummies like me who love their characters that much and have a very small hand full of friends that play.............. OR the people who like pruning..

The entire rest of the community left because the class designs are that bad............ And when I say Class designs are crap, I am not even remotely kidding.

Even BFA players feel class designs are pure trash and have been trash since WoD.

Have a look.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814323/
I am sure majority of people that complained about the event was on PvE servers. Those on PvP servers know and are used to such inconveniences brought about by other players (i.e. Ganking). As for the whole loot trading thing, no matter how you look at it. People would still do it even if loot trading was not present. They just put in tickets at the cost of time for it to be done. Probably makes it even easier for them to do it and not get caught in that manner. Regardless, people abusing the system in that manner will be rare and if caught will pretty much be forced into solo playing which does not bode well in Classic.

I will be clear that I don't support a change to Classic, but this is one that is not really up for debate nor has a major affect on the experience as is. A ninja still gonna ninja, but now you know they are absolutely doing so when there are trade windows.
I absolutely loved the wrath event, and to this day think that people who complained about it are incapable of dealing with things as they come, instead "needing" to do things as they had planned.

The event definitely changed the game during that time period, but knowing that it was a temporary event, people should've taken the chance to enjoy while it lasted. On my warrior, I went full zombie, attacking and infecting whoever I could and spreading the plague as far as possible. On this hunter, I was a zombie destroying machine, gunning down dozens of zombies. On my shaman I provided cleansing for players and did my best to keep important npc's such as flight masters alive.

That said, the event could have been done better, it did become too easy for zombies to take over for example, but there was no way to know that kind of stuff ahead of time.
11/13/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Coniferous
Remember the event before WotLK was released? How it was ended early because people cried about how inconvenient it was to them? That was where it all started.

There are a lot of people who don't want their gameplay interrupted for any reason. They don't want a living world. They don't want events. They don't want pvp. Anything that interferes with their linear controlled experience is offensive and must be eliminated. Blizzard has catered heavily to these folks in modern expansions.

This, this and this again.
11/13/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Coniferous

basically during wrath and beyond.