You are not prepared

Classic Discussion
I have played wow for almost 14 years, I cleared much of vanilla and I expect classic content to be easy to perform my role in levelling/raids/dungeons/broader guild functions (attunements, farming etc)... weather thats as a DPS or a tank.

What will be difficult is finding 4/39 others to perform their role as/more effectively and matching my method of play to fit the new social dynamic that classic will entail.
11/14/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Gorwarth
I have played wow for almost 14 years, I cleared much of vanilla and I expect classic content to be easy to perform my role in levelling/raids/dungeons/broader guild functions (attunements, farming etc)... weather thats as a DPS or a tank.

What will be difficult is finding 4/39 others to perform their role as/more effectively and matching my method of play to fit the new social dynamic that classic will entail.

And that is simply the entire case.
It is easy in one aspect alone especially if you know what you are doing but there are multiple aspects. Balancing them altogether is the true difficulty presented within Vanilla.

Great post.
11/14/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Noodyrun
11/14/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Fyedora
I think generally the people saying Vanilla is too easy are referencing raids in 1.12 as compared to modern retail mythic raids. They might legitimately have a point. Regardless, leveling, leveling dungeons, and just getting basic gear are all drastically harder in vanilla.

Putting boss v boss yes i believe retail wow is harder raiding wise. But these are 20mans compared to 40. Its really hard to compare something so old to something so new, retail is definitely catering a lot more for the casual player, where classic does not.

depends on if you're a completionist, hard core raider or hard core pvper. if you're just a casual player, vanilla is just as laid back as retail. for example, i didn't raid in vanilla at all and only had the chance to go in one dungeon before tbc launched (and it was brd of all places - talk about 0-90 in 3 seconds. we didnt even have a full group and at one point, lost our healer and still tried to keep going (which as you can imagine, didnt work out so well)).

i spent alot of time learning the classes, their talent trees, the game world, where the mobs were and how to avoid dying while travelling thru dangerous areas, what pvp specs worked/didn't work for battlegrounds, and working on professions across like 4 different characters.
11/14/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Hypêrspace

Putting boss v boss yes i believe retail wow is harder raiding wise. But these are 20mans compared to 40. Its really hard to compare something so old to something so new, retail is definitely catering a lot more for the casual player, where classic does not.

depends on if you're a completionist, hard core raider or hard core pvper. if you're just a casual player, vanilla is just as laid back as retail.

Not as "laid back." Classic wasn't unreasonably hard by any means, but you couldn't mow down enemies six levels above you like you can for most of retail.
11/14/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Narya

depends on if you're a completionist, hard core raider or hard core pvper. if you're just a casual player, vanilla is just as laid back as retail.

Not as "laid back." Classic wasn't unreasonably hard by any means, but you couldn't mow down enemies six levels above you like you can for most of retail.

With this though, you have to think like your progressing through classic. In retail your already pretty darn geared once you hit the next exp so its hard to deliver on that same experience.

depends on if you're a completionist, hard core raider or hard core pvper. if you're just a casual player, vanilla is just as laid back as retail. for example, i didn't raid in vanilla at all and only had the chance to go in one dungeon before tbc launched (and it was brd of all places - talk about 0-90 in 3 seconds. we didnt even have a full group and at one point, lost our healer and still tried to keep going (which as you can imagine, didnt work out so well)).

i spent alot of time learning the classes, their talent trees, the game world, where the mobs were and how to avoid dying while travelling thru dangerous areas, what pvp specs worked/didn't work for battlegrounds, and working on professions across like 4 different characters.

IMO, what is appealing about Classic WoW is that you can play it casually while still having challenge and a substantive experience, which is something that you can't really get from Retail anymore (I've ranted before about this, don't want to repeat myself: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769618383?page=2#post-32 ).
11/14/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Jeebusjones
<span class="truncated">...</span>

With this though, you have to think like your progressing through classic. In retail your already pretty darn geared once you hit the next exp so its hard to deliver on that same experience.

This is sort of why it feels like Retail as an RPG is dead. There isn't much meaningful character progression beyond level 70, and what new abilities/artifacts/talents you do unlock in a given expansion might be an ephemeral one-off that they'll take back away from you. Leveling and getting gear has been streamlined into the ground, and professions are gutted, so basically all that's left is collect vanity items and mounts, or chain-grind dungeons/raids for whatever auxiliary currency they've invented this expansion.
The games are different and it depends on your definition of easy. I tend to look at raids in vanilla as a sort of reward that you get after grinding it out through the difficult parts. Not sure if that makes sense(it's late lol), but it's like you get to access the raid content once you've put in the time to get the gear/attunement/etc. So most of the vanilla raid bosses may be more simple than retail mythic if you have 40 geared, quality players, but the hard part is more focused around getting to that point.
11/14/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Jeebusjones
11/14/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Ristra
Vanilla required more patients. Many will walk away because of this.

think you mean patience :) I agree with this 100% people wont understand that they will need to LoS caster mobs, manage mana, watch pulls etc etc

Oh you mean the things that people do now in mythic +?

High level keys are much harder than classic dungeons or gameplay.

Care to try again ?
11/14/2018 09:01 PMPosted by Azerothian
11/14/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Jeebusjones
think you mean patience :) I agree with this 100% people wont understand that they will need to LoS caster mobs, manage mana, watch pulls etc etc

Oh you mean the things that people do now in mythic +?

High level keys are much harder than classic dungeons or gameplay.

Care to try again ?

lol cant get much harder than being one shot by the boss before the fight has even started hehe (c'thun is a meanie)
11/14/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Fyedora

IMO, what is appealing about Classic WoW is that you can play it casually while still having challenge and a substantive experience, which is something that you can't really get from Retail anymore (I've ranted before about this, don't want to repeat myself: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769618383?page=2#post-32 ).

it's ......you can tell the guys who built it, really loved what they were doing. it shows all over the place. i remember playing a different mmo after playing wow for awhile and thinking about how much better wow was. that's the only reason i'm still here. cause i prefer to have more options for character creation and most other mmos have sliders so you can really fine tune your character. but wow has the rest of it in spades.