Avenger's Shield and neutral mobs

Paladin
I have a question... The strangest thing keeps happening on my paladins. I'll be out in BFA, I'll see an enemy (mob) and I'll throw my shield at it (Avenger's Shield) and not only does it hit the one mob I was after, it will also hit neutral mobs nearby. For example I was in Tiragarde Sound and I chucked my shield at a lone Quillrat. After it hit the quillrat, it made a 45 degree turn _upwards_ to hit a neutral seagull flying overhead. I mean seriously, wtf?!

I thought the shield was only supposed to hit enemy mobs, not neutral ones. The tooltip specifically mentions enemy targets.

I don't know if I'm having a Mandela Effect moment or what, but wasn't this an issue in a previous expansion that was fixed? Is the problem back again? Or is this, stupidly, considered to be "working as intended"?
Sounds like you should be posting this in Bug Reports.
There's the rub... I'm not sure if it's a bug or what. It's why I checked here first.
Why didn't you just judge the single mob? Anyhoo, report it in the bug report forum and you can also post in the pally forum see if other pallies have experienced the same or have insight.
Can confirm this happens to me all the time. Pretty sure it’s intended behaviour.
10/06/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Kneanderthal
Why didn't you just judge the single mob? Anyhoo, report it in the bug report forum and you can also post in the pally forum see if other pallies have experienced the same or have insight.

I can honestly say I have zero idea why I threw the shield. If I had to hazard a guess, I find it fun. I'm not even sure why I get such a kick out of it, but my imagination usually runs along the line of a mom throwing her shoe at kids. Some comedian had a skit about a mom and her boomerang shoe. *shrug*

Thanks for the suggestion about the Pally forum, I for sure will ask in there. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks guys, for the answers.
Eddie Murphy did that bit. Think it was in Delerious.
Pretty sure it's working as intended, just depends on how you define "enemy" and it seems to me that is it's a valid target it can be considered an "enemy" though if it was that simple seems it would hit critters as well. Just as with any AoE attack you just gotta be watching what you're doing, hell if a balance druid casts starfall it's gonna hit those neutral mobs so why wouldn't AS?
This rarely happens to me, even in mythic+ runs.

If a mob is not aggroed by a party member or neutral and in range, it will not hit said target.

It's not 100% however.
This happens to me -constantly-. You get a general feel for what it's going to bounce to and work with it, but sometimes it surprises you whooshing off into Narnia picking things up. It's along the same annoyance-lines as the Laser Matrix trait pulling untagged packs of mobs 30 yards behind me.
I end up pulling all of the yellow mobs near the pirate council in freehold before the boss because if I don't, they're coming during the fight, and for this exact reason.

WHY Avenger's Shield was changed to bounce to non-aggressive mobs I'll never know.