Warcraft ruined all other games/universes

Story Forum
So I have this feeling after getting so invested in the story over the years that most other stories and universes are just a bit.. eh.

This isn't a complaint hahha! But I just cant get into other games properly anymore considering how in depth warcraft's story is. So much so that I even have trouble playing any non-warcraft related game. I even tried playing the witcher again and skyrim but find myself getting bored, story wise.

Overall this is a good thing as it shows how good Blizzard has written it. Anyone else kinda get what I mean with this post? It seems a bit silly I know, but i just can't play any other game or read other fiction if it's not warcraft related.
I agree in some respects.

WoW is the only game I play. I dont know if I would be playing video games when Im done with WoW. I dont have any interest in any other video game.

I cant explain why succinctly. Probably more to do with my own personal investment of time and money as well as WoWs Gameplay than the Story itself.

I like Star Wars, LOTR, Marvel, and other geeky things. But I dont consider myself a gamer. If WoW shut down, I dont even have a clue of a game I might play instead.
To be honest, playing WoW and experiencing it's story makes me appreciate the lore of other settings all the more.

Warcraft stole most of it's ideas from Warhammer Fantasy, which honestly feels like a more lived in and real world than Warcraft does. Partially because it has so many well developed factions, where as Warcraft is pretty much just Alliance vs Horde with minor races scattered around for loot pinatas.

Warcraft's cosmology is incredibly simplistic when compared to settings with actually deep cosmic lore like Elder Scrolls, and despite being a multiverse it feels tiny compared to the large number of rich and colorful worlds you'd find in Magic the Gathering.

Warcraft's lore was impressive to me when I was young and hadn't experienced much else. Now I consume quite a lot of lore from a wide variety of sources and it's honestly pretty lacking.
To be honest, playing WoW and experiencing it's story makes me appreciate the lore of other settings all the more.

Warcraft's lore was impressive to me when I was young and hadn't experienced much else. Now I consume quite a lot of lore from a wide variety of sources and it's honestly pretty lacking.

Warcraft provided an additional context to view other franchises.

I was a kid when I played my older brother's video games. I played Warcraft before I knew of Lovecraft - so I was able to learn about Lovecraft as I got older with some perspective.

Same thing with LOTR. I played Warcraft before I read the Silmarillian. So reading about the Vanyar and the Noldor connected me to the Elven saga in WoW - vaguely.

It provided "some" context - I saw LOTR/Lovecraft fans (Blizzard) pay homage to those stories as a kid, and learned about those stories going forward as I aged.
Honestly I don't find this the case in my experience. WoW is broad and flash but I find there are a number of other games with far more detailed cultures, cosmology and lore.

That isn't to call WoW bad. It is its own flavour. But I wouldn't say it's Lore is broader or deeper than other games and stories. WoW also has a tendancy to broadcast everything very loudly. Many other game worlds maintian alot more of an air of mystery and unknown which I think is a good thing.

Then again a good plot hook usually is enough to get me interested in the lore of a game. Case in point is warframe, one of the most recent games I have started playing. In truth, the lore of their universe is alot more 'focused' on a particular period of time but the narative of the events that played out and the characters involved totally got me hooked.
10/07/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Kisin

Warcraft stole most of it's ideas from Warhammer Fantasy, which honestly feels like a more lived in and real world than Warcraft does. Partially because it has so many well developed factions, where as Warcraft is pretty much just Alliance vs Horde with minor races scattered around for loot pinatas.

Warcraft's cosmology is incredibly simplistic when compared to settings with actually deep cosmic lore like Elder Scrolls, and despite being a multiverse it feels tiny compared to the large number of rich and colorful worlds you'd find in Magic the Gathering.

And warhammer fantasy stole their idea from DnD who stole from Lord of the Rings.
My favorite setting lately has actually been Type-Moon. It's as convoluted as Japanese fantasy tends to be, but it's also very well thought out when you dig into it, and I like the twists it has on real history/myth.

I do love Warcraft's setting, but I hate the narrative and how much it focuses on A/H over anything else.
Eh as much as I love wow its lore and setting are no where near as expansive, deep, thoughtout or developed as other fantasy ips like Middle Earth, Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Warhammer etc.

Not saying wow is bad but you have to remember the story and lore in wow takes second fiddle to the mmo gameplay. The story only exists as a loose backdrop for the gameplay. Where as say ips from novels or singleplayer story rpgs. The lore and story tends to come first
10/07/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Aidre
So I have this feeling after getting so invested in the story over the years that most other stories and universes are just a bit.. eh.

This isn't a complaint hahha! But I just cant get into other games properly anymore considering how in depth warcraft's story is. So much so that I even have trouble playing any non-warcraft related game. I even tried playing the witcher again and skyrim but find myself getting bored, story wise.

Overall this is a good thing as it shows how good Blizzard has written it. Anyone else kinda get what I mean with this post? It seems a bit silly I know, but i just can't play any other game or read other fiction if it's not warcraft related.

This is surely a joke isn't it?

The "lore" of WoW is just whatever movie the devs watched while they wrote it influencing what they think will be cool, there is zero continuity, entire zones are non-canon because they don't bother to talk to each other (on account of not allowing continuity to restrain their narrative so they don't have to) there is unlimited populations for everyone and they have economies entirely off screen that provide enough money for endless warfare etc.

Even horde got to see Velen hanging on Illidan's every word despite the fact that Illidan enslaved the Draenei and tried to kill him in Burning Crusade.

P.S. "DRAENOR IS FREE"
WoW’s lore is interesting but I prefer 40k tbh!
Warcraft has... inconsistent lore. And it can be relatively simple as well. Our Magic systems have never really been fleshed out with the exception of shamanism, and to a lesser extent druidism and fel. I also think blizzard doesn't really care about the setting, with their large numbers of retcons, focus on a set number of existing characters, refusal to develop certain parts of the setting, and willingness to destroy everything we hold dear.

I honestly think Creative Assembly did a better job adapting Warhammer into a video game then the World of Warcraft writers treat their own game. They where willing to expand on factions like Brettonia, who needed help, designed custom models for characters and units that lacked them like Tretch and the Heirotitan, and turned 2 background lore factions into full blown ones, Norsca and the Vampire Coast. Looking back at wow i can't help but feel, why haven't Goblins, Gnomes, and Tauren been fleshed out.
I think it's obvious at this point the WoW writing team don't care for Azeroth or Draenor, they care about making their favorite characters seem cool, even when it pisses everyone else off (Looking at you, Jaina and Sylvanas), it's not just even a Golden problem, Knaack had Ronin and Varian, and there was a massive Sylvanas fanboy in Cataclysm!
10/07/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Reallyhappy
Warcraft has... inconsistent lore. And it can be relatively simple as well. Our Magic systems have never really been fleshed out with the exception of shamanism, and to a lesser extent druidism and fel. I also think blizzard doesn't really care about the setting, with their large numbers of retcons, focus on a set number of existing characters, refusal to develop certain parts of the setting, and willingness to destroy everything we hold dear.

I honestly think Creative Assembly did a better job adapting Warhammer into a video game then the World of Warcraft writers treat their own game. They where willing to expand on factions like Brettonia, who needed help, designed custom models for characters and units that lacked them like Tretch and the Heirotitan, and turned 2 background lore factions into full blown ones, Norsca and the Vampire Coast. Looking back at wow i can't help but feel, why haven't Goblins, Gnomes, and Tauren been fleshed out.
I think it's obvious at this point the WoW writing team don't care for Azeroth or Draenor, they care about making their favorite characters seem cool, even when it pisses everyone else off (Looking at you, Jaina and Sylvanas), it's not just even a Golden problem, Knaack had Ronin and Varian, and there was a massive Sylvanas fanboy in Cataclysm!

Sylvanas was cool in Cata because she was a supporting character to the main story, not the driving force. The moment her actions would become the main story for the entire horde, and not just her miserable plague filled corner of the world is when it became stupid because almost all living things really hate how the Forsaken make war.
You all make valid points, but I don't know. Maybe I see it a different way. I just love the whole universe and also recently bought the chronicle books so I'm excited to delve into them. I like expanding all the way into the titan's origin and magic origination in it.
I just like Blizzard's storytelling I guess. Could also maybe be the fact that we can more easily explore the world we read about and see. Whereas LotR or similar, you cant go into as much detail about their world.

The only thing I'd change is if Blizz gave us more options in game to customize to what factions we like. Like maybe more transmog sets that lean towards main characters and add Silver Covenant High Elves. Would love them forever after that.
10/07/2018 08:34 AMPosted by Casina
10/07/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Aidre

This is surely a joke isn't it?

The "lore" of WoW is just whatever movie the devs watched while they wrote it influencing what they think will be cool, there is zero continuity, entire zones are non-canon because they don't bother to talk to each other (on account of not allowing continuity to restrain their narrative so they don't have to) there is unlimited populations for everyone and they have economies entirely off screen that provide enough money for endless warfare etc.

Even horde got to see Velen hanging on Illidan's every word despite the fact that Illidan enslaved the Draenei and tried to kill him in Burning Crusade.

P.S. "DRAENOR IS FREE"

Someone enjoys something? How awful!

Remember kids, comparison is the killer of fun.
Aidre I too enjoy the lore and think it’s pretty neat too. Thank you for staying positive and enjoying yourself.
10/07/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Saiphas
Aidre I too enjoy the lore and think it’s pretty neat too. Thank you for staying positive and enjoying yourself.

:DDDD TY
I'll agree on the front of Warhammer Fantasy at least. Had Warhammer Online not been a massive turd ruined by EA in a desperate attempt to fight WoW and the sales of WFB hadn't dropped, the Endtimes and Age of !@#$mar may have never happened.

Warcraft provided an additional context to view other franchises.

I was a kid when I played my older brother's video games. I played Warcraft before I knew of Lovecraft - so I was able to learn about Lovecraft as I got older with some perspective.

Same thing with LOTR. I played Warcraft before I read the Silmarillian. So reading about the Vanyar and the Noldor connected me to the Elven saga in WoW - vaguely.

It provided "some" context - I saw LOTR/Lovecraft fans (Blizzard) pay homage to those stories as a kid, and learned about those stories going forward as I aged.

I tried not to compare WoW's lore to works that were built as a story first and foremost as Warcraft compares even more unfavorably.

My experience is the opposite of yours though. I grew up on The Hobbit and knew Lord of the Rings before I started playing WoW. I can't remember what my first Lovecraft exposure was, but I knew about that before I ever made the connection from it to the Old Gods at the very least, and WoW's Old Gods are a pretty pale imitation that, like most attempts to adapt cosmic horror into a power fantasy world, doesn't quite work.

I also had a habit of reading every game manual I could find as a kid, so the concept of a game with a rich backstory wasn't new to me. WoW was, however, the largest gaming franchise I knew at the time and some of the first video game story novels I ever read.

And warhammer fantasy stole their idea from DnD who stole from Lord of the Rings.

I never said Warhammer was original, only that Warcraft wasn't.

I stand by my statement that Warhammer feels like a far larger and more intricate word than Warcraft, though. There may actually be more named towns and cities in the Empire than there is in all of Azeroth.
10/07/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Kisin
I stand by my statement that Warhammer feels like a far larger and more intricate word than Warcraft, though. There may actually be more named towns and cities in the Empire than there is in all of Azeroth.

The world of Warhammer Fantasy has the Chaos Gods be the same ones as the ones from Warhammer 40k... Furthermore it reveals that Khorne has the same backstory as Khaine's 40k self...

Since the beings are all the same entities regardless of universe it would seem Khorne came about because of the Nightbringer infecting Khaine's form in the 40k Universe.

It seems the rumor that Khorne and Khaine are the same is true... Of course as of the Age of Sigmar the War God Khorne has his Slaanesh sundered body(which is in shards obviously) and has made most of it into armor except for his own iron heart which he can't make even so much as a dent into...

Furthermore the Dark Elf queen plans to take Khaine's place as the God of Murder using the Heart of Khaine... Khorne's more dignified aspects are being claimed by Morathi! Soon Murder and War will divide...
I would say it was more of Warcraft 3 ruined all other game universes, in a good way. I get friends and new people I'm playing with rolling their eyes whenever we play DnD, Pathfinder, what have you. This occurs whenever someone points out "Orcs, goblins, etc. are more than monsters and have a right." It is as if someone is ruining someone else's fantasy, and want to kill the big scary orc. Needless to say the GM/DM controls the setting and determines how the opposition is set up. I don't mind the setting personally, it can either be the orc is a monster or isn't. Having said that I love it because this never happened before Warcraft 3. It was always kill the monstrous creatures. Now there are more choices and creativity.