Q/A mentions us!

Emerald Dream
They don't have a fix for our server currently, more dark ages to come for RPWPvP with sharding.

Maybe an option for some servers to opt out of the current sharding and provide the WPvP that we desire. (In the future)

For anybody that missed the Q/A it was mentioned like 3/4 questions from the end.
Sorry guys, I tried ):
We will get there one day.
10/11/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Zingster

Why do you think this? The only possible positive spin here is that if we raise a big enough stink we could actually get split from mixed rp shards.
10/11/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Nayrock
Sorry guys, I tried ):

Our efforts are reaching their ears.

We'll keep trying. Keep being loud.
10/11/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Mortera
10/11/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Zingster

Why do you think this? The only possible positive spin here is that if we raise a big enough stink we could actually get split from mixed rp shards.

They are using sharding method to balance the server stress. I'm just being hopeful they find a different means of avoiding server stress than by doing this.
10/11/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Pancaked
10/11/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Nayrock
Sorry guys, I tried ):

Our efforts are reaching their ears.

We'll keep trying.

I think your twitter campaign reached Lore, he seemed familiar with the topic. A large and well-behaved reply to this soon is probably the best bet.
10/11/2018 12:07 PMPosted by Zingster
10/11/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Mortera

They are using sharding method to balance the server stress. I'm just being hopeful they find a different means of avoiding server stress than by doing this.

Sharding and being unable to find people is not going to change as of what we heard today. What's still to be decided is whether or not the shards are ED only. The current arrangement has demoted us to a connected realm.
I still don't understand the issues here. It all feels like a "realmist" situation where people on ED don't want people from other realms on the server. I've seen 0 valid (unsolvable) arguments about why sharding is a bad thing for us.

It's more people to play with. I literally cringed when he said they could look into potentially removing us from the sharding pool. The population is near 50/50, but that doesn't mean that it's dispersed evenly throughout the zones (something sharding tries to fix). Removing sharding would likely result in seeing far less people with Warmode on (we already assume the majority of people don't keep it on).

So, what's the issue here? Is it the RP aspect? RPers don't want non-RPers on the server? I've been on this server since Cata and have yet to encounter a single RP session. Is it an issues with WPvP where people occasionally disappear because of sharding? This isn't specific to ED and is something Blizz has said they are looking into.

Please enlighten me, I genuinely don't understand why sharding is a bad thing for ED (outside of obvious widespread issues with the system, like disappearing characters).
I hate sharding as much as the next guy but it doesnt bother me nearly as much as seeing other servers crossed onto our server... Our server is almost 50/50 Alliance/Horde so faction imbalance isnt an issue.. so really no reason to see other servers sharded into us as that is a different issue than "too many people in one zone"

In all reality, at what point is WoW not in a position to transition to becoming one big Megaserver? It seems the only thing holding them back from this is duplicates in character/guild names from other servers.
Keep it up folks, lets get us removed from this sharding nonsense!
10/11/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Nayrock
I hate sharding as much as the next guy but it doesnt bother me nearly as much as seeing other servers crossed onto our server... Our server is almost 50/50 Alliance/Horde so faction imbalance isnt an issue.. so really no reason to see other servers sharded into us as that is a different issue than "too many people in one zone"

Yes, but I bet the ratio of people with Warmode on is not 50/50. Not to mention just the shear amount of people who don't have it on at all would severely limit the availability of WPvP situations on the server.
Nayrock and everyone that has been voicing this issue:

Great job keeping this on their radar!

We may not get a change to the system, but at least this way, we have a chance for them to look at whether or not we can sustain ourselves without sharding. If we say nothing, we won't even have the chance.
10/11/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Lohkawas
Nayrock and everyone that has been voicing this issue:

Great job keeping this on their radar!

We may not get a change to the system, but at least this way, we have a chance for them to look at whether or not we can sustain ourselves without sharding. If we say nothing, we won't even have the chance.

Being split from the dead connected realms and a tool that lets you arrange something akin to a skirmish in current content would help a lot. As would restoration of world defense in the old world. Getting our own solution for war mode is probably the best way to get a discussion on world defense started too.
Warmode needs scaling incentives for underrepresented factions to create a more balanced solution. Thats the best thing i can think of. Some sort of "Outnumbered!" buff that either increases your stats or rewards while in warmode to encourage the lesser represented faction to put on Warmode!
10/11/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Nayrock
Warmode needs scaling incentives for underrepresented factions to create a more balanced solution. Thats the best thing i can think of. Some sort of "Outnumbered!" buff that either increases your stats or rewards while in warmode to encourage the lesser represented faction to put on Warmode!

Why a solution like this over just fixing the global issues with sharding? I still fail to see how any issue with sharding is specific to ED or RP realms in general.
10/11/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Nayrock

I think it's smart to keep our scope limited and try to get things changed while we can. Some witty replies may well claim this is already true but we're probably less than a year away from having nothing of the realm left at all.
10/11/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Neçrolyte
Please enlighten me, I genuinely don't understand why sharding is a bad thing for ED

It killed the server identity of being a great RP-PVP server. It doesn't even feel like I play on ED anymore when I play in BfA zones because I see mostly other realms. I use to recognize names daily out in the world, that doesn't happen anymore due to sharding.

Sharding killed any sense of realm communities. We lost the world defense channel because of sharding. This was a huge hit to RP-PVP guilds that liked to defend and attack bases.

I've been on this server since Cata and have yet to encounter a single RP session.

You must have been purposely avoiding rp and rp-pvp then. Cata was the height of the AEC rp-pvp campaigns and it was amazing.
Please enlighten me, I genuinely don't understand why sharding is a bad thing for ED

It killed the server identity of being a great RP-PVP server. It doesn't even feel like I play on ED anymore when I play in BfA zones because I see mostly other realms. I use to recognize names daily out in the world, that doesn't happen anymore due to sharding.

Sharding killed any sense of realm communities. We lost the world defense channel because of sharding. This was a huge hit to RP-PVP guilds that liked to defend and attack bases.
This exactly!
10/11/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Cortech

I've been on this server since Cata and have yet to encounter a single RP session.

You must have been purposely avoiding rp and rp-pvp then. Cata was the height of the AEC rp-pvp campaigns and it was amazing.

So it is just a case of, "We don't want you here." Got it. I don't think that's a valid reason to box us away from the rest of the playerbase. I understand that some people may feel like it degrades the "server identity", but that's not specific to ED. I've always enjoyed being on ED (I've played since vanilla and switched servers every xpac until landing on ED), but sharding is a great thing from a design standpoint. It solves so many problems people have historically had with the game, and removing those solutions because some people (and probably a small portion, overall) have a desire to be segregated doesn't seem like a good solution.

For the record, I haven't actively avoided RP at all. I also haven't actively seeked it out. It's just something that I haven't personally encountered outside of planned events/the occasional RP walk in Org (note: this is something people do on just about every server).