Q/A mentions us!

Emerald Dream
Megaservers do not create communities.

Megaservers / Sharding are the bane of any modern MMO. The only community you'll get is in a guild. While on normal servers, communities can grow outside of a guild also.
lol
10/11/2018 10:37 PMPosted by Jarawana
10/11/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Neçrolyte
So it is just a case of, "We don't want you here." Got it.
That's not the right way of looking at it. It's not that I don't want them because they're from another realm, persay.

But look at it this way. I enjoy seeing players and guilds that I know, and a lot of other people do too. It's what this community was built upon.

With War Mode how it currently is, the barriers are all gone and we are absorbed into the global pool of the entire game. That's a LOT of players. It dilutes the community by an exponential factor.

It'd be like trying to strike up friendships in LFR or something. It's all too fleeting and we cease to be individuals and just become warm bodies.
this 100%

ED is the exact same as all the other servers on NA now... our server identity and community has been diluted into nothingness. Idk who all these people are surrounding me, but I know none of them are from this server thanks to the giant server names floating above everyone's heads...
10/12/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Akö
lol

I like your transmog
10/11/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Neçrolyte
Please enlighten me, I genuinely don't understand why sharding is a bad thing for ED

It killed the server identity of being a great RP-PVP server. It doesn't even feel like I play on ED anymore when I play in BfA zones because I see mostly other realms.

This seems strange because I kind of feel like I play on ED now even though my server is Maelstrom, as 80-90% of the people I see in Battle for Azeroth zones are Emerald Dream. Perhaps you are playing with war mode off? Naturally, war mode off shards are dominated by former RPPVE servers. War mode on shards, where I play, are dominated by former RPPVP servers, which means mostly Emerald Dream.

The activity level on Emerald Dream seems to be high enough that even without cross realm, you would end up either sharded or severely lagged in BFA zones. I question whether removing mixing would fix anything for Emerald Dream. Walk up RP would still be heavily affected by sharding even without cross realm.

Incidentally, I took some recent data on how many people on ED have war mode turned on, based on flagging in capital city auction houses. In prime time, it is around 60% on Horde and 50% on Alliance. This is actually more balanced than a few weeks ago, when it was more like 70% on Horde and 30% on Alliance, though I'm not sure the difference is statistically significant. In day time, about 90% are flagged on Horde and 10% on Alliance. The daytime population may be headed for the runaway imbalance of Normal servers, but this doesn't seem to be happening in prime time, for whatever reason.

I used to object to cross realm, but I'm okay with how it's turning out - edit: in current content adventuring zones, it's still horrible when Stormwind gets cross realmed as happened last night - and I no longer have strong preferences on the question; that's partly because as a void elf, having separate coterminous realities like shards is normal and immersive to me. Some of my guildies would probably prefer to be separate from Emerald Dream because it would reduce the number of shards they would be distributed to - possibly to 1, since our server is much lower population - allowing them to see guildies more of the time. On the other hand, some would also prefer to be able to see friends from Emerald Dream. It's not clear they understand the tradeoffs.

I don't think most of the people in this thread understand the tradeoffs either, which is why I present the factual information in my first three paragraphs. At least know what the options would really mean before taking a position!
I would not mind crz Yarrow, if i could trade or give things to people out in the world. I like spontaniously hosting a drink after a battle and sucks i cannot trade them a brew. Seems silly, i know, but it is one of the reasons i am hostile towards non native players. as well as not being able to see friends on my own server without being in a group, yet i see random realms without grouping- irritates a bit
I roleplay with people weither they want to roleplay with me or not.

C'mere random alliance from tichondrius. I wish to roleplay with you.
10/12/2018 09:37 PMPosted by Yarrow
This seems strange because I kind of feel like I play on ED now even though my server is Maelstrom, as 80-90% of the people I see in Battle for Azeroth zones are Emerald Dream. Perhaps you are playing with war mode off? Naturally, war mode off shards are dominated by former RPPVE servers. War mode on shards, where I play, are dominated by former RPPVP servers, which means mostly Emerald Dream.
Nope i play purely with Warmode on. In fact, no one in our guild is allowed to have Warmode off xD
Every RP server has the same problem right now. My main is on Wyrmrest, and I constantly see people from non RP servers all the time. Tich, Sag etc etc.
10/12/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Syths
Megaservers do not create communities.

Megaservers / Sharding are the bane of any modern MMO. The only community you'll get is in a guild. While on normal servers, communities can grow outside of a guild also.

The problem is Blizzard's servers are garbage. They still can't figure out how to eliminate lag in the Epic 40 man BGs for crying out loud.
10/12/2018 09:37 PMPosted by Yarrow
having separate coterminous realities

I don’t really have a comment. I just wanted to quote this phrase. :)
10/13/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Niamina
The problem is Blizzard's servers are garbage. They still can't figure out how to eliminate lag in the Epic 40 man BGs for crying out loud.
10/13/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Nayruin
10/13/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Niamina
So Blizzard went in the wrong direction, and cross realmed Stormwind instead of uncross realming Boralus. If you prefer your own stormwind, please upvote my bug report here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769687295#1
10/12/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Aglaica
I would not mind crz Yarrow, if i could trade or give things to people out in the world. I like spontaniously hosting a drink after a battle and sucks i cannot trade them a brew. Seems silly, i know, but it is one of the reasons i am hostile towards non native players. as well as not being able to see friends on my own server without being in a group, yet i see random realms without grouping- irritates a bit

Again, to clarify, I'm not in favor of cross realm shards; I'm just providing information for people to evaluate. I agree that the inability to trade with people you can see is a problem.
aside from warbringer, ironsworn regiment and division VII i see no one in this thread from an actual major PvP ED guild here. Just being honest.
10/14/2018 02:10 AMPosted by Chalii
aside from warbringer, ironsworn regiment and division VII i see no one in this thread from an actual major PvP ED guild here. Just being honest.

I guess that’s the positive of all of this phasing/sharding nonsense. There has not been a single occurance of me running into a zerg situation 5this entire expansion (and I am out in the world almost every day). It’s a small scale WPvP paradise, honestly.
10/11/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Cortech
Please enlighten me, I genuinely don't understand why sharding is a bad thing for ED

It killed the server identity of being a great RP-PVP server. It doesn't even feel like I play on ED anymore when I play in BfA zones because I see mostly other realms. I use to recognize names daily out in the world, that doesn't happen anymore due to sharding.

Sharding killed any sense of realm communities. We lost the world defense channel because of sharding. This was a huge hit to RP-PVP guilds that liked to defend and attack bases.

I've been on this server since Cata and have yet to encounter a single RP session.

You must have been purposely avoiding rp and rp-pvp then. Cata was the height of the AEC rp-pvp campaigns and it was amazing.

To mimic this post, we'd have RP storylines between alliance/horde guilds that would resolve into organized world PvP. Remember all the weddings we used to have that ended in bloodshed? ha! It is the intimacy that we miss so much, that drove really good natured conflicts, storylines, and fun.
I remember the Red Wedding that even the devs retweeted.

They made sure that there wont be anymore of those.
10/14/2018 06:22 AMPosted by Charax
10/14/2018 02:10 AMPosted by Chalii

I guess that’s the positive of all of this phasing/sharding nonsense. There has not been a single occurance of me running into a zerg situation 5this entire expansion (and I am out in the world almost every day). It’s a small scale WPvP paradise, honestly.

Oh man I actually thought there was zero positives but you actually found one. I haven't seen that many giant groups running around.

Still though to other peoples points. I think the trade off is still too large. The server identity is so huge. I used to have to be jumped by the same two feral druids in tanaan all the time and I cursed their names lol....

Also the rppvp was so solid. Two guilds setting up in a zone and fighting over objectives. 15 peeps setting up on a branch over a road with stealth generators. Then jumping the alliance as they passed under, priceless.