Has Blizzard Abandoned The American Market?

General Discussion
10/15/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Azreluna

Remember the Warcraft movie? There's a reason that it was a huge hit in China while being a flop in the US.

In China it was Western and novel and had special effects.

That's, like, every movie here, so it flopped because the story was unfocused.

More like they tried to put too much into too little time.
10/15/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Lough
Or you can blame those with short attention spans. Blizzard makes everything rush, rush, rush because people do not want to spend the time doing real content. We are in the phone app age where people log in everyday for 30 minutes and move on.

almost correct...you have to play a little bit to get the war resources up.

then...you log off and spam the app lol. I won't lie...I do this now as its folly not too with the rep importance these days. between my 2 120's and a 117 leveling project quite a few rep missions handled this morning already from work lol.
10/15/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Dragtuslivz
Bingo. Maybe abandoned is too strong a word but they are ignoring our market because its not the one that brings in the bucks.

I'm not trying to flame blizzard with this btw. I'm super pumped for classic and enjoy several of their games. The current state of WoW just confuses me and this is the only conclusion i can come to that makes sense.

You're confused about how the game is handled by the company that owns it? Please take a basic management course, followed by a micro economics course, and thank you.

You sure are hostile. A good business model would follow the money. The money for WoW is in china. Nothing you typed disproved or really even addressed my points.

What evidence do you see to prove me wrong?
Over here subscriptions are paid for HOURLY. Making the game take longer for someone playing HOURLY makes absolutely zero sense. People in Asia are for the most part into different games - more specifically MOBAs and Hearthstone (especially since the most recent tournament winner was from Taiwan).

Hourly pay plans don't mix well with the current iteration of the game.
China goes out of their way to create laws that try to help the welfare of their citizens,

That is certainly one way of looking at it.
10/15/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Aehl
China goes out of their way to create laws that try to help the welfare of their citizens,

That is certainly one way of looking at it.

So much so that the country of Taiwan was born.
Makes sense because I heard people pay per hour in china. More hours spent grinding = more money.
10/15/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Kittredge
10/15/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Azreluna
Um... how do Americans play? 12 hours per day because they have no jobs or social life?

I have no social life or job.. but I only play for 11 hours a day, so I'm not that bad.

Jokes aside, to those who don't know, China goes out of their way to create laws that try to help the welfare of their citizens, and some of those laws (I believe) suggest to players of games that they need to take breaks from them every so often. America has been trying to break into or maintain a hold on the Chinese market, such as in films that will exclude certain themes because the Chinese don't like them, or hire certain Chinese actors because they want to appeal to a Chinese audience.

Is what OP is suggesting true, I honestly don't know, but it's possible.

The people of Taiwan vehemently disagree with your position. As do the numerous Chinese nationals who've emigrated from China to Taiwan. It's interesting to note that having a viewpoint that differs from what you've shared (as either a foreigner or Chinese national) will land you in a world of trouble. Speaking out against the government or public policy in China is a big taboo.

I have lived among the Taiwanese for six years, nearly seven...and have seen Chinese influence over this sovereign nation for many years. Your comments are completely and wholly inaccurate; especially given that you state that "you believe". You've no working knowledge of the politics of this region whatsoever; the policies of China are meant to CONTROL not to "better humanity".
10/15/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Lionhart
10/15/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Reynnei
Lmao this makes no sense at all.

What doesn't make sense?

China makes up the majority of WoW players and they have for a while now.

Players in China want different things from the game then we do.

It makes sense that Blizz would design the game for the majority group (China) while still trying to hold to the minority group (us).

Remember the Warcraft movie? That's the reason that it was a huge hit in China while being a total flop in the US.

What? No.
10/15/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Dragtuslivz
The new systems really seem like they are going toward pleasing Asian markets (particularly china) with the play a few hours everyday set up. What do you think?

EDIT to expound upon my post some. The main complaint seems to be that blizzard isn't listening. What if they are, just not to this market. Lets pretend these leaked sub numbers are credible and are just the American market. It makes perfect sense that they don't care that a good portion of the players here are upset. They are a fraction of a minority.
That's racist!
Chinese players usually pay by the hour because they play in internet cafes.

I haven't been there and don't know too many people from there personally but the impression I get is playing from home isn't exactly easy because the government has a pretty tight squeeze on internet regulations. Those regulations are not for their citizens' health, btw, but to make their citizens "better" citizens. It's heavily, heavily censored.
10/15/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Nairomi
Over here subscriptions are paid for HOURLY. Making the game take longer for someone playing HOURLY makes absolutely zero sense. People in Asia are for the most part into different games - more specifically MOBAs and Hearthstone (especially since the most recent tournament winner was from Taiwan).

I feel like this supports my point rather than rebukes it. When i was raiding in WotLK, Cata, and WoD i could just log on to raid and log off after the initial grind of leveling. Nothing like the AP grind existed to make me log on everyday to keep up.

Enter Legion and there is an AP grind and garrison resources that have to be earned rather than just appear like they did in WoD. Things to keep you logged on and playing instead of just log on raid and log off.

Why switch the metrics you measure the health of your game by and change the game to increase the hours played if the by the hour market isn't your target/biggest?

I don't know how things work in china. Any further insight would be helpful and thanks for responding.
When people complain about Blizzard listening, generally they mean listening to them and them alone, the other 5million+ subscribers be damned. They want Blizzard to cater the development to their playstyle no matter how bad that would be for the game, just so long as their wants are met.
10/15/2018 11:48 PMPosted by Itukka

Not anymore they don't, at least not for wow.

https://technology.ihs.com/582141/world-of-warcraft-in-china-changed-the-payment-of-game-time-to-subscription
Depends how much money they are making on WoW in China vs. the U.S. vs. EU.

But it's hard to imagine that Blizz would completely disregard how Chinese WoW players play the game compared to how U.S. and EU players play the game.
10/16/2018 06:22 AMPosted by Hellasha

https://technology.ihs.com/582141/world-of-warcraft-in-china-changed-the-payment-of-game-time-to-subscription

Since the Chinese WoW players also have WoW tokens, it's basically a sub model for them.
10/16/2018 06:08 AMPosted by Dragtuslivz
10/15/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Nairomi

I feel like this supports my point rather than rebukes it. When i was raiding in WotLK, Cata, and WoD i could just log on to raid and log off after the initial grind of leveling. Nothing like the AP grind existed to make me log on everyday to keep up.

Enter Legion and there is an AP grind and garrison resources that have to be earned rather than just appear like they did in WoD. Things to keep you logged on and playing instead of just log on raid and log off.

Why switch the metrics you measure the health of your game by and change the game to increase the hours played if the by the hour market isn't your target/biggest?

I don't know how things work in china. Any further insight would be helpful and thanks for responding.

Guy he just answered your question. BFA is very grindy once you get past "entry" level 340, or if you're a new/returning player wanting that nice allied race in Legion. This actually works against a system that pays by the hour, as only people with the money (and the will) are going to dump that much into the game. Note for the same amount of money you can get hours out of faster pace (and quicker rewarding) games. Note how he stated it made zero sense. Stop with the tin foil theories.

Also lol to all of the people saying China makes great laws to protect their people, it's all about the illusion, it's about the control, especially over the last decade.
10/16/2018 06:22 AMPosted by Hellasha

QFT.

People in China haven't paid hourly for years now. Fight misinformation!
Bump.

Even if the hours played metric is wrong i think Diablo for mobile breaths new life into this question.