Why do people care about sub numbers and online ratings?

General Discussion
people like to confirm their opinion is right.

also, and I mean this in the least rude way possible, people are sheep, we like to know what's cool and good. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but in general people would rather be told what to think than think for themselves.
All those people calling other people out for not liking the game are the sheep.

Nothing wrong for asking for improvements, ESPECIALLY to a game that you pay a subscription fee for.

I want better class balancing, pvp vendors, raid class tier sets, reforging to return.

Also think azerite (which causes class balance difficulties) gear and having a necklace's ilvl be associated with rep ranks was a horrible idea...especially for alts.

I also believe that BFA is one of the worse expansions, essentially being a downgrade from Legion.

Still there is good about this game for me which is the maps and the abundance of gear, even though it is RNG.

Too bad the things that are bad about this game is what I care more about.

So to anyone that says I'm complaining, how the !@#$ are you supposed to make a game better, by being quiet?! I pay my MONEY and if the majority of the community thinks the way I do, Blizzard is going to have to work harder to keep thier revenue.
It's proof that my pet reason is why the game is dying.
I feel like the game isn’t doing too well these days and I wonder if it’s just me that thinks this way but to see if it’s others that feel this way I visit the forums or check ratings and fansites.
Actually the storyline both Hordeside and Allianceside is fun and entertaining. However, it's the quality of life changes this idiotic dev team changed in the game that is killing it.

Removal of flying
Dumbing down of crafting
Over simplification of Talent Trees
Over simplification of skills
Azerite gear
The smallness of zones (unlike the old epic largeness of classic zones)
The RNG system for EVERYTHING

And the list goes on and on
10/15/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Taliså
Thier desperate to cling to thier belief that the expansion is bad...

Idk about others but if I wasn't enjoying it I sure as heck wouldn't be subbed

I don't think this expac is bad, but I still do want to see the numbers.
10/16/2018 12:44 AMPosted by Pallies
All those people calling other people out for not liking the game are the sheep.
Great way to start out a post, by insulting those that disagree with you.
Nothing wrong for asking for improvements, ESPECIALLY to a game that you pay a subscription fee for.
'Improvements' is a relative term. For example...
I want better class balancing, pvp vendors, raid class tier sets, reforging to return.
I don't. Class balancing seems fine aside from a couple of minor outliers that are being fixed. I don't want yet another NPC vendor to have to keep track of. I don't want to be limited to raids only for my BiS gear. Reforging is a waste of time.
Also think azerite (which causes class balance difficulties) gear and having a necklace's ilvl be associated with rep ranks was a horrible idea...especially for alts.
Again, I disagree. So which one of us should the devs listen to?
I also believe that BFA is one of the worse expansions, essentially being a downgrade from Legion.
I disagree. It's at least equal due to the art design of the new zones alone. The rest of the expansion has yet to be fleshed out. It's like comparing one or two chapters of a book to a complete novel.
Too bad not everyone agrees about what is bad. It's almost like the playerbase is composed of millions of different people with different perceptions and ideas.
So to anyone that says I'm complaining, how the !@#$ are you supposed to make a game better, by being quiet?! I pay my MONEY and if the majority of the community thinks the way I do, Blizzard is going to have to work harder to keep thier revenue.
And if the majority of the community doesn't think like you...?
10/16/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Crowlay
Great way to start out a post, by insulting those that disagree with you.
'Improvements' is a relative term. For example...
I don't. Class balancing seems fine aside from a couple of minor outliers that are being fixed. I don't want yet another NPC vendor to have to keep track of. I don't want to be limited to raids only for my BiS gear. Reforging is a waste of time.
Again, I disagree. So which one of us should the devs listen to?
I disagree. It's at least equal due to the art design of the new zones alone. The rest of the expansion has yet to be fleshed out. It's like comparing one or two chapters of a book to a complete novel.
Too bad not everyone agrees about what is bad. It's almost like the playerbase is composed of millions of different people with different perceptions and ideas.
And if the majority of the community doesn't think like you...?

-I'm not insulting those that disagree with me, I'm insulting the ones insulting us for wanting more from our money.

-Everything is "relative " if that's how you think.

-Reforging might be a waste of time for you but it added more diversity to certain builds and it wouldn't be harmful to implement. You say minor outliers yet I can think of ele shamans, feral druid, ret paladin, destro lock, spriest, prot warriors and other classes struggling for raid positions. NPC vendors made the random loot system not as critical and annoying as it is now.

-If you don't see how adding new azerite traits that change the behavior of multiple classes skills might cause variables that leads to class imbalances then I don't know what to say. Especially when Blizzard is showing this to be evident when traits are nerfed every patch.

-Having rep being tied to your ilvl is bad for alts, I've played since cataclysm and making your alts as viable as your main is gated through time.

- Devs should listen to the majority, if I'm not part of it it's whatever.

What I don't understand is that most things I'm asking for isn't harmful towards the game and at this point you're disagreeing with me because you think the game is perfect.
Anyone who let's others make their own opinion needs to get their life together. Play the game if you enjoy it, don't if you don't
For me it’s the worry that less players equals less resources equals more bugs and less polish. :(
People are spinning things and giving half reasons. It doesn't have anything to do specifically with proving negative beliefs that people hold.

People like having their beliefs and opinions validated as correct. People like being correct, on both positive and negatives. Its the same reason people will vote for people they don't really want elected, because people want to vote for the winners.

Or why people will say they voted for candidate A, who ended up winning, even if they really voted for candidate B. Widely speaking, people as a whole do not like being wrong or on the losing side.

If a person were to say, "It is my belief that the universe is made up of and held together by spaghetti noodles." and then the next day a scientific journal publishes the results of a research study that confirms the universe is in fact made up of spaghetti noodles, they are being validated as correct.

Same thing here, if a player posts on the forums "I don't like the direction the game is headed and blah blah blah", then its revealed that the sub numbers have cratered from 10+mil to less than 3.5mil, then they are able to go, "See, I must not be the only one that feels this way and my opinion is in line with the majority and therefore my opinion is correct."

But the opposite is just as true. If tomorrow another leak is posted that reveals the true sub numbers to be greater than 10mil, the people who think the game direction is fine would use that as evidence to support their positive take on the situation.

The entire first page of posts makes it seem like its only the people who hold negative opinions who want to be validated, which is patently absurd.
10/15/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Dfat
We don’t need Sub numbers and online metrics to reflect that.

It's a subscription based game.

We pay to play on a monthly basis in addition to box sales for new content.

Lower subscriber numbers translate into less "new" content and more copy paste stuff. IE, less bang for your bucks or less quality regardless of quantity.

Paying a monthly subscription in addition to box sales typically creates a desire with consumers for quality content since you can get similar replay value in box titles without subscription fees.
Polling and surveys are used all the time and the published results are given credibility. If a government is polling badly it's then widely known they're unpopular and heading for trouble and you know it isn't just you who think they're bad.

WoW subs used to be like a popularity and performance poll and managed that role fairly accurately. Blizzard then decided they didn't want their performance to be judged anymore, cynically at point where subs were crashing, and since then there's been no way to establish the overall health of the game.

If you're a long term player and have invested a lot of hours into the game, you're a shareholder in that extent, so it's not unreasonable to be interested in the current state of the game.
10/15/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Dfat
10/15/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Taliså
Thier desperate to cling to thier belief that the expansion is bad...

Idk about others but if I wasn't enjoying it I sure as heck wouldn't be subbed

It’s a love hate relationship, I like my GF yes, sometimes she pisses me off yes. That doesn’t mean we have to break up.

Imagine comparing playing a game to a romantic relationship

Please, just unsub already. You obviously hate what they’re doing with BfA, continuing to give them money shows that you’re supporting them, so good job!
The "leak" was API requests for user records which had sub end date data. They then used that to figure out how many active subs there are. The issue is that even if they somehow got millions of records (the API is throttled), it would be region based data. It wouldn't include other regions; like the most popular one, China.

Again, this is just what someone on the internet said. I still find it hard to believe they could pull that many records.
I don't know, but I can say that raitings are helpful. The only problem with people is that they tend to only give things like a 1 or a 10. We've even gotten to a point where a 6 or a 7 is a bad score. Which is mind boggling. But more over than that it's how you like the game. For me BFA could be a 10 out of 10, but I'm still not going to play it because I didn't enjoy it.

Still there is good about this game for me which is the maps and the abundance of gear, even though it is RNG.

Sheep - and bullies.

You don't like the game? Omg, you must have read x post or watched Asmongold's video. You can't think for yourself, the game is wonderful.

Is it any wonder people are leaving?
It gives hope to people who want change.
How else would you measure a game popularity? Inches?
10/15/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Dfat
Real talk, the expansion is obviously boring and weak as hell.

Real talk, this is pure BS.

I am never bored in BFA. Millions of other players are not bored in BFA.

If YOU are bored, it is YOU, not the game. This game is not boring.

You are probably a veteran player who has played WoW for years. Veteran players get bored and quit, in huge numbers (25% of players every year, ever since 2005). New players replace them.