Please stop using abbreviations

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
Looks like you've never worked at a corporate office... How bout Dem TPS reports. Or in my case I work in US GMP, used to be in QC, but I follow SOPs given by QA from the MLT who abide by the desires of the CEO... There's nothing newage hipster about it
10/16/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Greyhide
Uneducated people do not know that you need to define before using abbreviations, acronyms and personal/demonstrative pronouns.

It took me a long time to drill this into a childhood buddy of mine who would use abbreviations constantly, even multiple times in a sentence and couldn't understand why I never knew what he was talking about.

Lack of education is not a factor, neither is native intelligence.

If your audience are fellow group members who speak the language, they don't require definitions. Given that this poster is on these forums and claims to have "played since launch" it is expected that they learn to speak the language, which will be spoken here, without definitions.
Abbreviations for gaming has existed before this. You just have to go with the flow and get around the learning curve. Learning the social aspect of this game is just as much part of this game as the game itself.
Uneducated people do not know that you need to define before using abbreviations, acronyms and personal/demonstrative pronouns.

It took me a long time to drill this into a childhood buddy of mine who would use abbreviations constantly, even multiple times in a sentence and couldn't understand why I never knew what he was talking about.

This is another subject, but related in a way, when people use references in everything they say and expect you to know what they are talking about. I knew a couple who quoted movies, books, songs nonstop and couldn't understand why no one knew what they were talking about.
It's never been a matter of hard or easy. It's vastly more efficient to abbreviate as much as possible well communicating via the internet.

Language changes and evolves with the times. It's time you do as well. Or expect to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Darwinian law folks the strong adept and survive. Well the weak perish.
First time I saw someone looking for a black smith I wondered what kind of game this was.
10/16/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Ärasynd

I think that the need to define acronyms is dependent on the audience being addressed. For example, if I were writing an article for a general interest magazine, I wouldn't assume that every single reader would understand a particular acronym; so I'd define it initially for that particular audience. But if I were writing a technical piece for a tech-savvy audience, then I wouldn't explain acronyms commonly used in the tech industry.

In the case of WoW, I've had to learn commonly-used acronym lingo and am okay with that. Sometimes I'll ask someone to clarify; always, though, I Google a term first and only ask others for help if I'm unable to find the answer.

Long story short, I'm a middle-aged player who has no problem with commonly-accepted acronyms being used in the game: AFK, LFR, DoT, etc. As long as we, as a gaming community, can agree on usage and meaning, we can manage to communicate.

Some acronyms are common even outside the game "LOL" etc but some are not too common anywhere else, meaning we assume someone knows. This is talking about people who use them too often or ones that can have multiple meanings.
10/16/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Valaire
...Yours is far from ridiculous. You'll get spited more than anything. If your smart then you wouldn't be here whining over something that WILL NEVER change. And if you were smart you'd look it up or ask someone. Also you don't have the power to force anything onto players. Intelligent people know not to beat a dead horse. Cause it gets them nowhere. Your just doing that. No one is ever gonna do what your demanding. Your just an average player just making a fool of themselves. And trust me when I say this community will NOT do what you demand/ask. /shrugs/ Your just wasting your time making this thread. No one will listen. They just keep doing TTYL, LOL, BRB, etc regardless of what you say.

Someone is listening if this many replied. I seriously only expected a couple of insult replies, but it felt good to vent my frustration.

BTW (by the way) it's "you're" not "your".

By the way, it is "you are", not "you're", if you are going to be so strict about abbreviations and the like. Can you not see how ridiculous all of this is?

P.S. (post script, alternatively postscriptum): I am certainly not of the "texting" generation; also, stupid abbreviations drive me nuts (such as "leggo" or "lego" for "legendary").
You wanna see some really obscure acronyms, head on over to Reddit.
People make acronyms for everything in specialized sub-reddits and then use them in other communities, drives me bananas.
10/16/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Valaire
10/16/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Ooga
There is a book in DM that contains all the answers

I'm not going to read a book to learn a lot of abbreviations. It's really not hard to type complete words and sentences. Unless you are intellectually incapable.

Look, if you're familiar with the game -- you know good and well what GCD means. Most everyone responding know what you mean. Typing `GCD` is a lot faster than typing `Global Cooldown (hereafter known as 'GCD')` because we're not typing legal letters. Use inferred context here.

Now if we're talking about using 2 instead of 'to' or U intead of 'you' then sure, I agree. You're not saving much time.

If you aren't willing to educate yourself on basic language to communicate to everyone else then don't be surprised when you.. don't understand what they are saying.

Also... use Google. `Wow gcd` will tell you what it means.
This is all because LBJ took the IRT down to 4th street USA.
how to google
10/16/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Nobully
noobs guide to abbreviations:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/8414911719

Where was this when I first started playing?

I honestly had to ask someone in Wailing Caverns how to get into the "AFK" guild.
Instead of picking up a can I thought it would be easier to convince the entire world to stop litering
10/16/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Valaire
I see posts about GCD, and other abbreviations, that I have no idea what they stand for. I know the texting generation likes to speak in abbreviations and shortened words, but at least put the meaning once for those of us who don't embrace this style of communicating. Like GCD (global cooldown). If you want support for your issue, people need to know what you are talking about.

Abbreviations serve thier purpose, god forbid you work on something technical or the military, or both.
Back in the old days we called our friend's pagers and left them cryptic messages like 1337 and 01134.

Valarie, completely agree with you. The phrase, "slouching towards Gomorrah" comes to mind......
10/16/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Valaire
I see posts about GCD, and other abbreviations, that I have no idea what they stand for. I know the texting generation likes to speak in abbreviations and shortened words, but at least put the meaning once for those of us who don't embrace this style of communicating. Like GCD (global cooldown). If you want support for your issue, people need to know what you are talking about.

IDK, my BFF Jill?
10/16/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Vixie
You just highlight the word/acronym, right-click and select "Search with Google". You don't have to go anywhere to research and it takes like 3 seconds.

And I, for one, gladly admit I had no idea this was even a thing.
#whoknew

Someone is listening if this many replied. I seriously only expected a couple of insult replies, but it felt good to vent my frustration.

BTW (by the way) it's "you're" not "your".

By the way, it is "you are", not "you're", if you are going to be so strict about abbreviations and the like. Can you not see how ridiculous all of this is?

"You're" is a contraction for "you are", not an abbreviation.