Do people that blindly listen to You Tubers create a toxic hivemind?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
10/17/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Leshe
DISCLAIMER: Okay this post is purely for discussion and thought provocative reasons. No insult is meant to anyone or their opinions.

So is it just me or does the age of Youtube personalities seem to have created a toxic hivemind among certain groups. It's like they deprive people of original thought and create echo chambers of the personalities opinions, whether it be games,comics, politics etc etc.

Are we entering an age where we are losing out own free thought without even realizing it? I mean it's just something to ponder.

So are your thoughts and opinions really your own or are they regurgitated opinions impressioned onto you by some self righteous for lack of a better word cult leader forming your opinions for you?

Im pretty sure that MOST of us think for ourselves and decide we dont like a product entirely independent of the dopes on youtube.
i think it is just an issue with the current society. people no longer think logically and generate their own opinions. they listen to people with opinions they kinda like and just align to theirs.

look at modern politics, you cant even questions peoples opinions because they cant explain their own views. it turns in to personal attacks. people are not interested in finding the best answer they are only interested in pushing theirs and turning their opponents in to the villain.
It's not just YOUTUBE,TWITCH people that are causing the direct feels on this expansion, you can blame ION and his lackluster cares for his community that he shows every week. Basically up there telling us LIKE IT or LEAVE, that he doesn't give 2 craps about us, due to WE will PAY and PLAY what they make regardless if we like it or not. BFA has been a crap show, since ALPHA. There was mountains of FEEDBACK on all of this before even BETA came out, and they kept telling us IT WILL BE FIXED IN BETA, beta came out, WE ARE GETTING CLOSE TO LAUNCH, we will fix it BY LAUNCH, launch came out WE WILL FIX THIS in 8.1! its the samething more of the same, ION and his crew just are not good for this game community. Has been going downhill for awhile now. Sorry but its not the Twitch and YOUTUBE creaters that have anything to do with this crap showing, its blizzard's lackluster customer support and listening to their playerbase that made the issues of today that we are seeing, by trying to TELL US we WILL LIKE THIS.
It's like they deprive people of original thought and create echo chambers of the personalities opinions

what in the hell? how?
it's no different from how a tv show 'deprives' people the way they think.

Free speech. If anything, it brings awareness and encourages you to challenge it, just like it did to you. your own post is proof and admission that critical thinking and original thought still exists. Even if it's dumb. hypocrite. ;P
"managed decline"
10/17/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Leshe
10/17/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Solarwynds
There is no way this will end well Leshe.

You may be right, but I can hope this can churn out an actual adult discussion...

But I'm probably being niave.
You're being naive in thinking that anytime you use the current popular cool-kids catchphrases like "hive-mind" you will get any kind of adult discussion started. You will probably get some serious and in depth responses intermittently but the use of such terminology is just casting the most effective bait into the troll pool.
Are we entering an age where we are losing out own free thought without even realizing it? I mean it's just something to ponder?

Entering? No.

People have been saying, "Yeah! What he said!" since people have been capable of speech.
Does anyone actually take Asmongold seriously?

I mean he's comedy at best a running joke at worst.
Toxic youtubers are preaching to the already converted, its just one big echo chamber that spills over (in this case) to these forums.
Toxic people sit and complain, expecting someone to do something about their problems. Successful people go out and make a change.
10/17/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Zamari
Just remember, it is their job to get views and ad revenue.

Their job isn't to play a game, that's just how they accomplish what they do. They produce Youtube videos. When people watch what they produce, it generates revenue.

So at the end of the day, they are going to produce videos that will get people to watch them. Flashy, End of the World of Warcraft titles and commentary draw much more attention than dry, but less hyperbolic content.

Think whatever you like of them, but always remember what ultimately drives their existence.

If the only real differentiation they offer is hyperbole then the offer nor real value. They might as well be the Alex Jones of the WoW YT community and scream about frogs.

There are other ways of getting views, entertaining and/or being critical than being a hyperbolic poo magnet. Bellular is often critical and I don't think I've seen him dive into hysteria. Taliesin and Evitel are quite entertaining, and while they do wade into the "!@#$ show obviously," they keep it light enough that I think they avoid the vitriol.
DISCLAIMER: Okay this post is purely for discussion and thought provocative reasons. No insult is meant to anyone or their opinions.

So is it just me or does the age of Youtube personalities seem to have created a toxic hivemind among certain groups. It's like they deprive people of original thought and create echo chambers of the personalities opinions, whether it be games,comics, politics etc etc.

Are we entering an age where we are losing out own free thought without even realizing it? I mean it's just something to ponder.

So are your thoughts and opinions really your own or are they regurgitated opinions impressioned onto you by some self righteous for lack of a better word cult leader forming your opinions for you?

Why do people act like you cant have the same opinion as someone who is critcal of the game? I have not like the direction the game has been going for a long time. Many of the things i dislike just so happen to be the things the personalities you speak of dislike with the game also. Im just one of those players thats not very vocal, but after seeing all the !@#$ recently like this, I had to say something.
Reading a lot of the comments in this thread is the equivalent of brushing my teeth with sandpaper.

If you all were smart, you would already realize and I wouldn't even have to explain this. WoW Youtubers don't create hiveminds. They are simply echoing a lot of the things they see their viewers saying. Go on, one of you tell me that Asmongold's latest video is wrong in any of it's main points. Knowing these forums I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least one of you was dumb enough to actually not only say that he is wrong but genuinely believe it.

It's time to wake up people.
Someone made an interesting comment over coffee this morning, they said that since the old guard has basically been gutted from Blizzard, these cry babies no longer have their inside connections and since BFA isn't this elitist raid or die expansion they are losing their collective minds.

That actually sounds legit.

I mean honestly there are as many people making videos laughing at guys like Asmongold than there are who seriously watch them.
Your OP seems to take as a given that everyone who watches YouTube personalities “blindly follow” so I’m going with...no.
I think you’re basing that on the tiny sample-size of a few forum trolls.
So again...no.

Now, the further conversation about how social media and the internet tends to isolate people within echo chambers is a valid one and I would agree- but don’t try to crowbar that into this. YouTube personalities aren’t responsible for the poor state of BfA.

r/iamverysmart over here

[quote][/quote]

Its funny, they usually echo chamber my rants to guildies. Its a good feeling because alot of the time my guildies deny what i say but i think they are trying to justify the game to themselves so they can ignore the critical issues. its usually the guildies that dont play the game near as much, i dont think they’ve come face to face with the philosophical problems. But it felt surreal, having my complaints about the game comfirmed by like 5 youtubers at once. I tend to disagree slightly with bellular but since bfa launched my gripes have been very similar and i tend agree more with asmongold.
1. Youtubers can't be trusted.
2. A Sim can't be trusted.
3. Stormwind can't be trusted.

Learn it. live it.
So is it just me or does the age of Youtube personalities seem to have created a toxic hivemind among certain groups.

They are only mimicking the pulse of the community. They want those clicks, and they turn to the hivemind for easy revenue.
*Title that Insults a group of people*

"No insult is meant to anyone or their opinions"

*insults*

*more insults*

*Closes with insults*